Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Xbox upgrading Hdd questions!

Original Xbox hdd questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys

Im about to aquire (I hope) a modded xbox with a switch on it. Dont know what size hdd is in it (normal 8-10gb I think) nor do I know the chip/bios.

I've been doing my research and it seems as though I can replace it with a new hard drive, boot it up with a copy of Auto Installer deluxe, format it and then install whatever apps I want. Is this correct? Or is it dependant on whether its a 1.1/1.6 etc model and or the chip/bios ?

If no then can I simply whack in a 2tb Sata hdd with a nomal IDE - Sata convertor and crack on? Does the Xbox even have enough space for such a convertor?

Been trying to get hold of Will2003 but no joy. Please help, if theres anyone in London with enough time and expertise I'd even make it worth their while!

The higest hdd I have heard of running reliably was 1.5TB last time I looked however that was a while back?

The switch is redundant as that would only be of use for xbox live & thats dead. You can upgrade any Original xbox hdd by using an app called CHIMP on all versions of the console, crystal consoles are a tad tricky but can still be done (regardless of whether they are chipped or softmodded)

The sata to ide converters are iffy and very bulky & the space inside the drive bay is very tight & heated. You would certainly need to remove the metal shielding from the top of the case to comfortably fit it in?

The biggest factor is whether or not the hdd is lockable, and tbh I don't think chipped consoles are fussed about that?

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I checked the machine i bought last night. It's a 1.4 version and looks like an xecuter 3 as it's got 3 switches, 1 for the chip, 1 for the bios and the other for a separate memory bank. Burned a successful copy of Auto Installer final which worked fine. Now all I need is a new hdd!

Comment

I would guess that chip is not a v3 from your description but will be fine nonetheless.
        Do the switches look like this?

Is there a reason you want such a large HDD?

Comment

Thanks Smouty, I heard you're the Xbox jedi around these parts

It does look a bit like that (gigantic lol) picture although you have to lift the xbox up to get at the 4th switch. Its also starting to fall off so I'd need some advise on how to get it reattached firmly.

I just figured I only want to upgrade the hdd 1 time so would go for the max possible. I'd probably never use it all. If no one was able to help me then I was probably going to pop into my local CEX and see what IDE hdds they had and start there. Really dont want to go down that path as I dont have a lot of spare time. Was up till half 1 last night mucking out and now Im shattered which is ok if you're a lazy student but not if you have to project manage!

Is upgrading the bios going to unlock anymore potential for me or no longer required, also do you still need to lock/unlock hdds or can the auto installer take care of that for you?

Comment

To put a new hdd in any xbox providing it is lockable takes about 15mins using CHIMP. Finding a lockable hdd is pretty easy just put the info in here and look http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&...teadded&desc=1 300-500GB is very healthy tbh and you can always link the xbox to the PC if required.
            The only technical skill required for chimp is a seperate power source for the 2nd hdd during data transfer & a screw driver to open the xbox.

You may not need to even do the above with a chipped one, however smouty is far more clued up on TSOP & Chips than I am. You may be able to have someone build you a hdd without them even laying hands on yer box

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I've seen the marvel of chimps at work via youtube, it looks straight forward enough but I dont have a power source for the hdd. I dont have a PC (got a small laptop) and I cant get my hands on another Xbox! From what I understand having a modded xbox AND Auto installer Deluxe FINAL on cd or DVD is more than enough. I think all I need now is a 2tb hdd thats been proven enough to work (cant see evidence its ok for a v1.4 xbox) and a decent IDE-SATA adapter (again these seem hit and miss)

Also, pardon my ignorance but what is TSOP?

Smouty, Im thinking of grabbing these next, should I consider my bios first?

http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...260&tid=frooct

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SATA-IDE-Adapt...item483af45ebf

Comment

wtf do you want 2TB for
                IDE-SATA prepare for issues later on IF you get it off the ground running? Just get a more than ample 300GB or 500GB and save yourself a lot of hassle. After all regardless of what you are intending to put on it you can only run one thing at a time!

I'm not familiar with AID Final whatsoever but I'm pretty sure you would need to have the drive built to a degree or the xbox simply wouldnt function? I have a chipped xbox here but have never experimented with it?

TSOP = http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/TSOP_flashing_HOWTO

Comment

Woah! That TSOP wiki has tmi, cant take it all in and actually "work" in the office.

So you reckon I cant plug in a brand spanking new hdd into my xbox and boot up AID Final for the format and installation? ARGH!

As explained earlier I just would like the largest possible hdd so I dont end up upgrading again. Who knows, right now I want it for ol skool emus but later on I may dash all my HD media onto it.

Comment

OK.
                    I have never used a SATA adapter but there are some that work. TBH I still have the 160Gb I fitted in 2003 but I keep my media on a NAS. A 2Tb NAS will probably cost about the same as a drive and adaptor and you can also use it with other things.
                    320Gb and 500Gb IDE drives are fairly easy to come by and will be more than enough.

There is no point in putting HD material on it as you won't be able to play most of it.

TSOP is the onboard BIOS chip that the xecuter replaces. You will need a BIOS that can support >128Gb (48bit LBA) and also has support for F and G drives.
                    If you go for a very large drive you will have to be very particular regarding cluster size etc.

As you have a chip you can put a new unformatted drive in and boot from a CD to set it up no problem.

Comment

Hmm, I dont really want to run into problems, I was so happy how things went successfully last night. Usually I have rotton luck when trying stuff out for the first time. I think I'll grab a 750gb drive from CEX tomorrow and see how I get on. Im pretty sure this Xbox already has an F and G drive created so that would mean the bios could cope with something bigger than 128gb right?

Many thanks everyone for their help, usually Im lurking around inputting rubbish here and there but its for uses like this that I stay logged on

Comment

You would have to use xbox partioner to enable the correct cluster format for a F or G partion with a monolith amount of space on to avoid data corruption.

As previously mentioned a 300-500GB really is more than enough, I had a 750GB drive and it failed pretty much instantly? I heard that they are not very reliable in comparison *shrug* could have just been a duff drive mind? The 300 & 320GB drives I have are nowhere near full and no issues so far?

Comment

Well Im gonna try a 750gb from CEX and if it fails then I'll just give it back and try something else.

Comment

By the way. is £55 for a used 750gb IDE a reasonable price to pay these days?

Comment

Yeah, they weren't made in quantity or that reliable and SATA was well established by the time these came out.

Comment

Working...
                              X