No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was one of Game Sack’s fundamental problems actually. The characters and style are like they’re aimed at kids but the game itself is brutally difficult so you die a lot, and the deaths themselves are particularly gory.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post

Dabbling on a few things but actually find myself constantly returning to Heart of Darkness on the PlayStation.

I remember EDGE hyping it quite a bit prior to release. I have a feeling that it might have received 5/10 from the magazine when it eventually came out.

I decided not to bother with it.

Comment

Playing the first Project Diva on PSP and man, this is choppy, I was not expecting that. It has a noticeable affect on gameplay.

Comment

I've been playing Alien Trilogy on Saturn after picking it up at the Manchester Play Expo.
          It's really decent, although I had to restart it as I got to leavel 7 and was struggling with ammo. Turns out I'd missed the pulse rival from an earlier stage and didn't realise you could shoot most crates to get extra ammo :P

Comment

I've been getting back into DC having sold off my entire collection years back. Surprisingly sealed games are still common on YJ and not all that expensive. Of course I've started where the DC excelled, with Capcom fighting games. I still have my old DC and VGA box, as well as my ASCII Fighting Pad but sadly in order to convert VGA to HDMI I need to use a converter box, which adds tons of lag. I'll have to get one of the new 480p DC to SCART or DC to Component cables from RetroGamingCables when they come out to feed it to my Framemeister.

One thing I did forget about the DC though, - this thing is seriously noisy. The fan is an angry little thing. I know there are some fan mods out there so that may need to something I look at. Retrogaming for years on the Saturn and MD has really spoilt me for silent gaming.

Comment

I've moved onto Project Diva 2 which is a massive improvement performance wise although there are a few framerate drops in certain songs still. Hitting notes is a lot easier now that it's mostly stable though.

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
              I've been getting back into DC having sold off my entire collection years back. Surprisingly sealed games are still common on YJ and not all that expensive. Of course I've started where the DC excelled, with Capcom fighting games. I still have my old DC and VGA box, as well as my ASCII Fighting Pad but sadly in order to convert VGA to HDMI I need to use a converter box, which adds tons of lag. I'll have to get one of the new 480p DC to SCART or DC to Component cables from RetroGamingCables when they come out to feed it to my Framemeister.

One thing I did forget about the DC though, - this thing is seriously noisy. The fan is an angry little thing. I know there are some fan mods out there so that may need to something I look at. Retrogaming for years on the Saturn and MD has really spoilt me for silent gaming.
              Yeah it's ridiculously loud haha.

Comment

Not really played as of yet but I took a quick peek at Silent Hill 2 to check if the old PS2 (and my new component cable) worked. Straight away the opening grabs you; once that music kicks in and the fog swirls you're under the spell. Super atmospheric game.

Comment

Gley Lancer and Thunder Force III on the Mega Sg.

A few bouts on Gundam W: Endless Duel via the Super Nt earlier on.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

Endless Duel is still such a gorgeous game, the devs did an incredible job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

I bet them two consoles look so sexy under the telly. Fancy doing a readers wives pic for us to ogle over?

Comment

I’m having a bit of a move around at the moment in the living room... I’ll put some pictures in the ‘Post your gaming setups’ thread when it’s all done and tidy.

Comment

Play testing Mario 3 on the NES Challenge Set I'm planning on selling and I was reminded of just how good NES games look on a CRT, even via composite. I was planning on selling my 28" Trinitron and just buying a small 14" PVM for the spare room but games look really good on that TV. The system itself is far more yellow than I remember though, I think I'll clean it up a bit before selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                            Play testing Mario 3 on the NES Challenge Set I'm planning on selling and I was reminded of just how good NES games look on a CRT, even via composite.
                            I remember when I got an RGB NES and played Star Soldier on a Sony Trinitron -- the graphics looked so crisp and had a beautiful glow about them.

It really does annoy me when modern gamers act like retro games look like crap. They only look like 'crap' directly into an LCD screen.

Comment

had a tidy up of the consoles, upon getting my PSIO, played some Ridge Racer and Mortal Kombat 2, forgot how good RR was.
                              Also fired up the SFC and had a blast on Axelay, still looks and sounds fantastic.

Only dampener was the image on my B&O was slightly off, need to get into the service menu and sort out the geometry on it.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                                forgot how good RR was.
                                Little wonder it blew people away back in the day. Namco did wonders in only 6 months of development.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                                Also fired up the SFC and had a blast on Axelay, still looks and sounds fantastic.
                                Yeah, the graphics and sound are absolutely brilliant. I also love the overall design and interesting bosses. Konami really knew how to make the hardware sing.

Comment

Working...
                                X