Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I suspect it was Attack on Titan that scored us a decade of that.
    Maybe the PS2 Yakuza games?

Comment

Was in Tesco and picked up a PlayStation magazine called "Play", which looked interesting to flick through over a cup of coffee.

Got to the till and it was £6.99!

Seven quid for a bloody magazine that was mostly pictures?

No thanks!

I put it back and got Razzle instead.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Seven quid for a bloody magazine that was mostly pictures?
        I wonder if magazines got the wrong idea; like back when it was pretty much a shootout between EDGE and GamesTM, they started to double-down on really nice quality printing, paper, etc. and the prices obviously continued to increase.

I wonder if it would've been better for them to compromise the printing to be more like old CVG, where the quality was trash but, with magazines being a disposable item, this was fine.

Comment

it really dose feel like gaming magazines are a dead medium, i rearely ever see game magazines in the supermarket anymore. last time i got retro gamer it was a really nice ready but was £10 because it had a Nintendo retrospective book with it , they seem to be going in circles a bit too as it had a feature on Gunstar heroes and treasure again, something I'm sure Ive read before lots of times.

Comment

Does anyone subscribe to any mags? I was thinking of getting a sub but literally can't think of any I want on a regular basis.

Comment

I gave up a long time ago. Whilst I get the corner they're painted into now the reality as a consumer is the cover prices are over inflated for what typically is incredibly dated content. Like how recieving a quill written letter delivered by carrier pigeon is lovingly quant but pointless when an email will do.

It sounds really awful but the only real feature of worth in them is the Features and frankly few are of a unique interesting subject you can't find elsewhere with an internet search. Printed magazines are mostly notable that it's mid-2021 and any are still desperately clinging on to life. The irony that brands focused on advancing tech utterly failed to move with the online times is dripping off them.

Comment

I still get Retro Gamer (not every issue - depends what's in it), but I think the last current-generation game magazine I ever bought was that Dreamcast one with the cheats disc on the front that could play imports.

Comment

There are kids' mags with tat free gifts and "grown-up" mags printed on luxurious gloss paper, but there's nothing inbetween.

I think Asura is onto something there, with a C&VG style mag that's relatively cheap to print.
                  Sometimes it's nice to have a magazine to flick through.

I'm subbed to Film Stories and Tabletop Gaming, but nothing videogamey.
                  I like that new one, Wireframe, but it feels a bit aimed at people in the business, rather than customers.

Bought my son some Switch Player mags, which he enjoyed.

Still, seven quid! I'm still getting me breath back!

Comment

I'd love something videogames related that was humorous. I'd be more than happy for it to be printed on Private Eye quality paper, too.

I find all the boutiquey magazine projects that come out now for gaming to be rather po faced. Stuff like A Profound Waste of Time and [lock-on] have beautiful graphic design, but look a bit, well...boring.

It kind of reminds me of this from a week ago, by Patricia Hernandez who has now taken the helm at Kotaku:

I kind of respect what she's trying to do here, but it's not very, um, fun. Gaming should be all about fun. She's making it sound like reading Kotaku is going to be bloody hard work.

Comment

Playing through the 4* levels of Super Mario Maker 2, some of which are seriously tough. So, on to the irk: lives and game over screens in Mario games. Utterly pointless. Just put me throwing me more lives.

Comment

Wireframe is a nice read if anyone spots it in Smiths. Focuses on the indie scene so doesn’t need to be cutting edge.

Comment

I ask about subscriptions because, although I read and get all my entertainment news from various websites, all my kids see is me staring at my phone. I'd like to have an actual magazine that they can see me reading. I just can't think of one or justify the price.

Comment

Just tried to download the free GTA cash add-on and because I last looked at the PS Store on the phone app, it's asking me to confirm my credit card details.

So I had to get off my arse to get my wallet and credit card for something that's free to download it on the PlayStation I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              I ask about subscriptions because, although I read and get all my entertainment news from various websites, all my kids see is me staring at my phone. I'd like to have an actual magazine that they can see me reading. I just can't think of one or justify the price.
                              Subscribe to any old magazine and just hide your phone inside it while reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                                Playing through the 4* levels of Super Mario Maker 2, some of which are seriously tough. So, on to the irk: lives and game over screens in Mario games. Utterly pointless. Just put me throwing me more lives.
                                Im playinh Galaxy at the moment and I have the exact same irk. After every star that boots you beyond the world map even.

Comment

Working...
                                X