Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaying Doom 3 on Switch since it launched yesterday. I hated Doom 3 on release when I got it on PC. Later played it on XBox and grew to really like it. Replaying it now after the more recent Doom, I actually prefer it to that Doom.

Comment

Despite being a huge fan of the sport I haven't bought an F1 game on ages. But I fancied trying F1 2019 so picked up the XONE ver yesterday and just had a quick sesh. The biggest thing for me (not having a wheel set-up anymore) is how a driving game controls with a controller and straight away it's great. Feedback through the trigger rumble works a treat and using the paddles on the Elite controller for manually changing gear adds another layer of realism. The game looks and performs amazingly (One X) too.

Only played the early stages of career mode but first impressions are great
      Last edited by Atticus; 28-07-2019, 21:36.

Comment

Yeah I’m interested in this for Xbox because of the trigger feedback so good to hear it’s a nice bonus, cheers. I’m concerned the rumble in my pad is knackered though. I mean it does rumble but it makes a right racket and doesn’t feel very refined. Like something has come loose.

Comment

Been away, hence minimal posts, but a smidge of Vita Broken Sword 5, which is amazing, and a soupcon of Switch Zero Gunner 2.

Mainly been reading and playing board games when not spending time with the family.

Comment

Doom 3 on the One X ..It looks bloody incredible.

Comment

More F1 2019. So I've graduated from F2 into an F1 team and all I've been doing to far is practice sessions at Melbourne. It's not just a case of driving around learning the track ... there's a number of different criteria needs covering to provide the team with feedback, requiring a different approach on track for each. It does feel mega satisfying getting faster and faster though, carrying speed through corners you didn't dare to before ... and watching the other divers split times and getting closer and eventually beating them by the tiniest margin. All while on the edge ... one careless line or corner exit and it's all over. And this is just practice. Super happy with this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                More F1 2019. So I've graduated from F2 into an F1 team and all I've been doing to far is practice sessions at Melbourne. It's not just a case of driving around learning the track ... there's a number of different criteria needs covering to provide the team with feedback, requiring a different approach on track for each. It does feel mega satisfying getting faster and faster though, carrying speed through corners you didn't dare to before ... and watching the other divers split times and getting closer and eventually beating them by the tiniest margin. All while on the edge ... one careless line or corner exit and it's all over. And this is just practice. Super happy with this game.
                I'm playing it on the One X and the gfx have had a massive uplift , the lighting effects are incredible. This is hands down the best F1 game since F1 GP 2

Comment

Still playing XB360 Bayonetta.

I'm going to finish it but if I do not play another game like it again I will not feel I've missed out on anything important.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post

I'm going to finish it but if I do not play another game like it again I will not feel I've missed out on anything important.
                    Whether you're feeling it or not, you definitely will be missing out.

Use the Scarborough Fair handguns exclusively, and solely stick to these three combos (PKP, PPKP, PPPKKK). Make sure you hold each attack button down until you see a stream of bullets, don't just tap like it's Street Fighter - that's a massive misconception. If you want to play this game well you have to hold the attack buttons down and not rush (or else you'll never be able to weave dodges into these combos).

Never overwhelm yourself with dozens of weapons and combos, that results in mash and confusion the moment a challenge arises. Whenever the game seems to get too hard that's a sign that it's forcing you to learn something. Some of those Alfheims seem impossible at first, like the limited kicks/punches one, but they're actually tutorial challenges in disguise.

Here's the reason why you want to take your time with combo inputs; Dodge Offset:

Last edited by dataDave; 29-07-2019, 15:33.

Comment

Would you regret not finishing Bayonetta? If not, why not dump it and play something you'll actually enjoy? And I say that as someone who loved playing Bayonetta.

Comment

Useful info, thanks for that.

I've managed my fair share of Platinums and more Golds not by mashing but having learned a few good moves/combos but there have been some areas and encounters where it seems, like so many fighting games, it specifically blocks your most powerful attacks. The Wicked Weave combo PPKKK I've noticed in particular they close in before it is finished breaking the move and causing damage you can ill afford, especially in the Alfheim challenges.

It could well be that I'm more used to the quick tap combo techniques absolutely essential for games like Tekken and more recently when I've been playing DOA2 and 3. I'm not great at those either but I still enjoy them because I know what I'm doing or should be doing even if I mess it up. I guess if I spent more time on Bayonetta and practiced the combo techniques I would get better and perhaps enjoy it more but, for a number of reasons, not just the gameplay, it has not grabbed me at any point. I think I'm on the last level so that is not likely to change now.

Would you regret not finishing Bayonetta? If not, why not dump it and play something you'll actually enjoy? And I say that as someone who loved playing Bayonetta.
                        If I start a game and get a decent way in I rarely give up on because I always have that hope it will click at some point. That has happened many times with a game I've felt nothing for suddenly or even slowly starts to entertain me and I end up enjoying it a great deal despite the dodgy start,

But I remember sticking with Xbox Fahrenheit (AKA Indigo Prophesy) in that hope despite my increasing disappointment in the story, general disinterest and annoyance at certain elements of the gameplay as it progressed. In that case I did dump the game halfway through and I can't think of any other game I played since, so it must be over a decade, that I've considered doing that until now.
                        Last edited by fallenangle; 30-07-2019, 02:34.

Comment

Gotcha. If you're that far along, then you may as well finish it.

Comment

Useful info, thanks for that.

I've managed my fair share of Platinums and more Golds not by mashing but having learned a few good moves/combos but there have been some areas and encounters where it seems, like so many fighting games, it specifically blocks your most powerful attacks. The Wicked Weave combo PPKKK I've noticed in particular they close in before it is finished breaking the move and causing damage you can ill afford, especially in the Alfheim challenges.
                            That's why you need to use dodge-offset! You hold the attack buttons down for each combo input and then dodge out of them whilst still holding the attack button down. You can continue the combo after your dodge finishes. Watch the Yoshesque video I posted from about 2:30 mins in.

P (evade) > K (evade) > P (Wicked Weave finish)

The final K in PPKKK takes forever to wind-up. You need to buy yourself lots of time for it to connect. It is two Wicked Weaves in succession, after all. Whenever I get stung it's usually because I'm pushing my luck with that one too far. Also, remember that you can cancel a Wicked Weave animation with either jump or dodge immediately as the circular glyph spawns. Once that thing appears the attack has been confirmed.

If I get time today (unlikely) I'll make a vid of an Alfheim using only PPKKK.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 30-07-2019, 09:48.

Comment

Been playing more F1 2019. Haha, just because I can put a hot lap in doesn't mean I can get through a full race quite so well. The AI in this game is brilliant. It can be frustrating coming out of the pits into traffic but the realism is so good it doesn't matter. It's not a game about winning every race. It's about being there, feeling the realism, keeping your team happy, and maybe getting a podium. But a clean race does take super concentration (I've tailored the settings so the game feels challenging but never impossible).

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Been playing more F1 2019. Haha, just because I can put a hot lap in doesn't mean I can get through a full race quite so well. The AI in this game is brilliant. It can be frustrating coming out of the pits into traffic but the realism is so good it doesn't matter. It's not a game about winning every race. It's about being there, feeling the realism, keeping your team happy, and maybe getting a podium. But a clean race does take super concentration (I've tailored the settings so the game feels challenging but never impossible).
                                The game is ace, isn't it . Have you played it with a wheel, the force feedback in this game is incredible. What a game !

Comment

Working...
                                X