X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop telling lies. You liar.

Comment

Kingsman: Golden Circle. Not as good as the first but worth watching just for Mark Strong singing 'Country Road's in a Scottish accent.

Deadpool 2. Loved it in the cinema. Was almost bored watching it at home. 1st is soooooo much better.

Comment

I saw a few over the weekend.

Scooby Doo.
        OK, so I'd never seen the live-action version of Scoobs and I'd heard it was decent, subverting the usual tropes of the SB series and changing Daphne to a martial artist instead of the one always needing rescuing. A bit like Cabin in the Woods.
        Matthew Lillard as Shaggy is some of the most inspired casting I've ever seen. He's perfect.
        It was interesting to see a pre-Guardians James Gunn script.
        My son laughed the most when they were belching and farting.
        What I wasn't expecting was how eye-pleasing it was for me too...
        Scooby-Doo Was Originally Given An R-Rating For Cleavage

Upgrade.
        There was a sale on Amazon Prime Video and my mates bought some 4K ones off Apple TV like Terminator 2, Baby Driver, Logan, Sicario 2, Blade Runner 2049, Ready Player One and the recent Jurassic Park.
        I'd been wanting to watch this for a while and Hoovered it up for £2.99

I've been enjoying some of the Blumhouse output, like Split, The Purge and Whiplash (and want to see BlacKkKlansman, Get out and Happy Death Day) and thought the trailer for this looked right up my street and it definitely is.
        It's never going to win any Oscars, and it makes you think of lots of other similar stories, but it's still its own beast and is really entertaining.

There's a mish-mash of Robocop, Deus Ex, Videodrome, Death Wish, The Six Million Dollar Man, Terminal Man and loads of other stories set in the near future that talk of unchecked technology and body horror in the near future.
        It's definitely got a budget sci-fi thrill that is reminiscent of Carpenter or Cameron.

It's an interesting story with a few twists along the way, telling the story of a man willing to try a new form of technology to get revenge, but it's really interestingly shot, especially in the sequences where the technology takes over his body.
        Some really fun fight sequences capture that robotic, but deadly style.

The Night Eats The World.
        "After waking up in an apartment the night after a raging party, Sam comes face to face with his new reality: an army of zombies has invaded the streets of Paris, and he is one of the lone survivors. Petrified with fear, he barricades himself inside the building to survive. He wonders how long can he last in silence and solitude."

This was actually pretty good and followed the Day of the Dead plan of a lot of story in the middle, peppered with zombie scenes, building to the finale.

The film it reminded me the most of was The Quiet Earth because we spend a lot of time with Sam as he slowly descends into madness from isolation and paranoia.

The Cabin in the Woods.
        After Scooby Doo's trope-breaking shenanigans, and spotting it in the Netflix list alongside The night Eats The World, I thought I'd revisit this clever and scary homage/critique of horror movies.
        It's fun playing "spot the reference" and seeing the story build to the gory ending!

Comment

I hear more and more nice things about TCITW as time goes on. I'm gonna have to watch it on Netflix, and I might just this week.

Just watched Inception for the first time. Did this really come out in 2010??!! Damn. Anyway, was OK but brown and murky and boring, too. Typical Nolan cinematography, best bit is the snowy MGS1/Goldeneye mashup scene. Great music, hats off to "Hands" Zimmer on the M.I.C.

Is it amazing? Not really. Is it spectacular? Sometimes. Expensive? Oh yes. Is it like a poor version of The Matrix? Sorta.

Does it have Tom Berenger? Indeed. Does he resemble a mad cross between William Shatner, Mickey Rourke and Donald Trump pressed into a sweaty pink ball of gammon? That's a 'yes'.

Was it extremely overrated? Affirmative!

Comment

That snow sequence is always Nolan fans go to when they push for him to direct a Bond film but like the rest of the film and his other output, he's horrifically ill suited to the franchise unless you want to double down on the miserable, blandness of Quantum of Solace or Spectre

Comment

I think TCitW is a fun watch. It's walks very carefully between humour and horror.
              Some people think it does a good job, others think it's neither one or the other, so doesn't satisfy.

Let's be honest, you watch some serious bilge on the Horror Channel at 4am, Jazz, and seem happy, but dislike some big name films, so I find you incredibly tough to predict!
              Give it a watch, it can't be worse than Sorority Row or Wrong Turn 6!

Zimmer does elevate Nolan's films.
              I was filling the dishwasher at the weekend and put on the Interstellar score, despite not loving the film.
              There's a concert coming up with loads of Space themes that I fancy attending and that got me playing some hits.

Netflix was still on from the Sunday sesh and thought I'd watch something rather than play a game, but I'm always so overwhelmed and I'm trying to stop re-watching films I've already seen, however, listening to Zimmer meant I wanted to see Interstellar again!
              It's not on the 'flix, but it suggested Passengers, which I wanted to see when it was on at the cinema.

So it's a pretty light space drama, but it was just what I needed after all the horror films!

I really enjoyed it and was really pleased with the ending.

Comment

I'm weird, QC. Worst thing of all is I want to love every movie I watch but I've seen so many I just feel my standards are either impossibly high or impossibly abstract. It's annoying. I really wanted to love Inception as well.

But yah boo sucks and tally ho, what what?

Night before I saw Inception, I forgot to post I'd watched a movie called Ghost Stories, it's that Brit portmanteau horror w/Martin Freeman and Paul Whitehouse, it was advertised on buses around Halloween 2017, reading "GHOST STOREIS" (spelling mistake deliberate, that's how it was...anyone recall it???)

It's a Warp Films movie and I love their subdued Autumnal Britishness but this is pretty wispy and meh. But nicely made, watch it if its on and you got nowt better to do.

Lastly, tonight. Bad Milo off The Horror Channel. It's about a guy who has arse problems, goes to the doc and gets diagnosed with a polyp of the arse then said arse polyp turns out to be his inner id monster who seriously resembles a Critter from Critters or summat like that, this is a proper ace, authentic-style 80s practical effect rubber puppet monster (despite CGI blinking fx...gah...) It's ace!

And it starts off so good. It's obviously going for a Frank Henenlotter Brain Damage/Basket Case/Frankenhooker vibe at the start. And there's a really amusing dinner table bit with some very amusing dialogue. And then the movie just stops trying to be what the start made it seem like it was gonna be, it just fizzles and gets boring and unfunny and, yeah, interminable and annoying. I wanna tell the peeps who made this to go back and watch Frankenhooker. It actually has a structure, plot, dynamics. This is like wearing the Halloween mask but can't be arsed.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Let's be honest, you watch some serious bilge on the Horror Channel at 4am, Jazz,
                  Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Lastly, tonight. Bad Milo off The Horror Channel. It's about a guy who has arse problems, goes to the doc and gets diagnosed with a polyp of the arse then said arse polyp turns out to be his inner id monster who seriously resembles a Critter from Critters or summat like that,
                  Ladies and gentlemen of the court, I rest my case.

Comment

Actually, that reminds me of How to get Ahead in Advertising. Have you ever seen that, Jazz?
                    It's just nuts and you wonder how it got greenlit and Withnail agreed to be in it.
                    In a good way!

Comment

I *have* seen that, back in 1991 when I was 16 and found it quite weird and outre, if not satisfying and maybe trying too hard.

But in 2019 and aged 44...I reckon it might just be refreshing as faaaahk.

But I like the fact I was asked and I like the fact I seen it, haha...

Last night I watched Another Wolfcop. It was appalling but not quite as appalling as the first one, it has good bits this time, especially the elderly man Terminator in the goggles who "smells like old people". He's awesome but they kill him off early and pointlessly, making me just think WTF???!!!

Yeah, it's rubbish. There's even a terribly unfunny sex sequence that feels like watching bestiality, it's rank.

And Kevin Smith is in it, as well. And he's trying to act like some funny fool and he looks all emaciated n stuff n it's not really working well, nnnnn...

It's not good. Nah.
                      Last edited by JazzFunk; 02-02-2019, 02:19.

Comment

I watched Ant-Man and the Wasp last night. Pretty enjoyable but didn’t really give me anything the first didn’t already. It was a bit more patchy. But stI’ll fun.

Comment

They shall not grow old, brilliant piece of work managed by Peter Jackson.

Should be compulsory viewing for all in secondary education.

Comment

Peter Jackson? So it was four hours long?

I watched Passengers last night. It was okay. If it had been smaller, a little more thoughtful and written more sparsely I think it would have been a sci-fi classic. As it was, it was okay.

Comment

Your Highness. Was actually pretty funny.

Comment

The Grinch
                                The new one, it was alright. It's a simpler film than the Carrey version and a good deal more 'vanilla'. There's very little new about it to be honest but it's main advantage is that it doesn't creep the kids out anywhere near as much.

Comment

Working...
                                X