Sony Trinitron KV-14T1U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    My suggestion would be to use a GameCube composite cable and use composite.

PVMs don't have a tuner so you cannot use RF.
    Hey, thanks for the response. I have a couple of Noob questions if that's ok -

1. What is a PVM?

2. It's an old TV and an old console, surely the default connection that the N64 was sold with should work on it? I don't have a Gamecube anymore, therefore can't use the Gamecube composite cable.

Comment

A PVM is the display you just purchased. Pro Video Monitor. How you managed to purchase one without knowing this is quite amusing to me.

Monitors, by nature, don't have tuners. So you cannot use RF.

A composite cable is about ?3 on eBay tops, you could possibly even get one for nothing here.

Comment

A PVM is the display you just purchased. Pro Video Monitor. How you managed to purchase one without knowing this is quite amusing to me.

Monitors, by nature, don't have tuners. So you cannot use RF.

A composite cable is about ?3 on eBay tops, you could possibly even get one for nothing here.
        What's the difference between a PVM and a TV then?

Comment

A TV has a tuner.

A monitor does not.

It's like comparing your PC display with your television, somewhat. These were designed with RGB in mind and honestly that's the best route to go.

Any reason for purchasing one of these?

Comment

A TV has a tuner.

A monitor does not.

It's like comparing your PC display with your television, somewhat. These were designed with RGB in mind and honestly that's the best route to go.

Any reason for purchasing one of these?
            This is why I was confused - the Sony Trinitron KV -14TIU is definitely, 100% a TV. Not a PVM.

Comment

Oh wow, I've made a fool of myself. I assumed it was this thread. http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/115436

The CH channel should be 36 for the N64 tuning if you can get into the tuning menu. Apologies.

Comment

Oh wow, I've made a fool of myself. I assumed it was this thread. http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/115436

The CH channel should be 36 for the N64 tuning if you can get into the tuning menu. Apologies.
                No don't apologise! Thanks very much for your help. Channel 36, here I come.

Comment

Hmmm...

Ok I'm trying to get my N64 working on the Sony Trinitron KV-14T1U. I'm using an RF connection (it's the only connection I have unless I decide I want to try another one).

I'm having serious trouble in getting the TV to pick up the console. Is there anyone out there who owns/has owned this TV and used a 64 with it?

Comment

I'd really pay a few pounds more and get a GameCube composite cable, as speedy suggested. Your eyes will (mostly) thank you for it, too.

Comment

Composite and RF largely look the same to my eyes. Some people suggest S-Video but I think you still get composite from that out of a PAL machine.

Comment

Composite and RF largely look the same to my eyes. Some people suggest S-Video but I think you still get composite from that out of a PAL machine.
                        Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                        I'd really pay a few pounds more and get a GameCube composite cable, as speedy suggested. Your eyes will (mostly) thank you for it, too.
                        Ok, thanks very much for your help guys. I've taken the advice and ordered a composite cable from eBay. Let's hope that works without any hassle when it arrives! Thanks again.

Comment

RF is just composite with sound embedded, it won't make any difference, not on that TV anyway. The only time it might is if the rf decoder is crap, which on the sony it isn't.

The KV-14 is a good set as it's RGB is good, so buy a an RGB cable.

Comment

RGB won't be output from his N64 unless he's had it modded.

Comment

Sorry, thought it was a gamecube when folk were saying get a GC composite cable.

Buy a cheap ntsc N64 and at least do the cheap link rbg mod.
                              It is one of the easiest mods to do and a great 'my first mod'.

Comment

Right, it seems the RGB socket on mine is borked. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so was considering having a go at repairing it. However, I do believe I could electrocute mesen if I take it apart without degaussing it?

What's the best way to go about fixing it?

Comment

Working...
                                X