The Shattering / Cataclysm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shattering / Cataclysm

So, anyone else just started/restarted playing? I activated my account at the end of last week so that I could go through the new opening areas - I'm going to hold off of Cataclysm for a little while so that the Goblin starting areas quieten down somewhat.

I've rolled a Troll Druid, Tauren Paladin and Undead Priest so far. I'm enjoying the Undead starting quests the most at the moment, although I was disappointed to see few changes to Undercity (after the opening quests suggested

Varimathras had taken a part of the city

) after the amazing facelift Orgrimmar has had. <3

I've started all new characters on Magtheridon, if anyone's interested. I'm a very casual player though, so don't look for me if you're expecting someone to rush through content with - I want to enjoy the new levelling experience!

Yep I've restarted (restarted after the big patch)

Level 58 now, just gone to outland... the redesigned 'vanilla' just serves to highlight how awful that place is...

Anyhow my thoughts on the new vanilla:

Whilst every zone has had their quests overhauled, the quality of the overhauls are very mixed. Some of them are radically different with some creative and entertaining quests. Others have near exactly the same quests, only they've been reworked to make them faster and less painful (rather than "kill 10 warlocks, 10 berserkers, 10 warriors" it's "kill 15 mobs in this area"). Existing long questlines have been trimmed down to make them less convoluted.

There seems to be a big bias towards Kalimdor in terms of the zones with the most work done to them which means outside of the redesigned starter zones, most low level alliance have to wait a while before coming to something radically different. Stormwind has changes in areas no one goes to, Ironforge has no notable changes (outside of some dark iron quest stuff)

The biggest problem though is the speed of levelling. You'll end up skipping zones and, without reading a guide, it's hard to know if you're skipping one that has had a big change.

If you want to experience as much content as possible, avoid doing the instances. All the old world instances have been redesigned to make it possible to easily complete them in 30 minutes. Strong emphasis on 'easily'. They're so trivial they're boring. You get huge xp (quests for instances are now handed out by NPCs at the entrance), almost never wipe and get blue items. Only instance worth doing is Deadmines which is the instance they put the most work into. Avoid BGs too (huge xp).

tldr: if you want to experience the best stuff, check out a guide (or ask on the WoW forums) to see where to go at what level a lot of work has gone into the old world stuff but not as much has changed as radically as Blizzard hyped. Don't expect to be challenged in any way for old world content though.

Comment

I intend on levelling multiple characters, so I'll mix and match my zones accordingly to make sure I see everything that I can. Going to take my time as well, so no level 58 in two weeks for me!

Comment

I like the starter quests in the underwater zone... They send you out looking for pick ups in enemy territory which rocks on a PvP realm.

I just tried saving a warrior from a DK, Paladin, and Druid. I flew in and Shadowfuried the lot into Howl of Terror, nuked down the DK whilst seducing the Paladin, then charged Soul Fire into Soulburn for another instant Soul Fire - 2x 15k crits in the Paladin's face... I couldn't catch the druid because he ran away I didn't have my rocket boots equipped.

Killing people on quests that don't have trinkets equipped makes me look l33t.

I left it at 50&#37; to lvl81. I can't play that much. Looking forward to rated BGs and maybe Arenas again one day if I can get around the 300ms issue playing from Singapore. Hopefully this weekend I can dump a load of gold into getting the lvl81 Engineering goggles, as well as boosting my Jewel-crafting after the mineral prices have stabilized.

Comment

Tried to log in.... my account's been closed for spamming adverts.

That deserves one great big "WHAT THE HELL".

Comment

You get hacked by goldsellers then i expect no idea how long it will take to sort it out.

Comment

well not sure if i will get back to wow again...played it over a year ago and got about level 49 but not felt the desire to play since then...had a problem with long winded quests lots of travelling and the time it takes to grind

has that been improved ?

oh and a question if i was to download the game for that free trial how much of a download are we talking ?
              Last edited by eastyy; 08-12-2010, 20:15.

Comment

1-60 has little pure grinding now, if anything there isn't enough.

Still no response from Blizzard.

They don't find it a bit odd that a level 58 who's been playing for 30 or so hours would suddenly start spamming out of the blue? Did they really need to close the account point blank rather than put a hold on it until you confirm you have control over it?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                  well not sure if i will get back to wow again...played it over a year ago and got about level 49 but not felt the desire to play since then...had a problem with long winded quests lots of travelling and the time it takes to grind

has that been improved ?

oh and a question if i was to download the game for that free trial how much of a download are we talking ?
                  I think the entire install for all expansions comes to around 18GB.

There's much less grinding now. The zones are designed with more quest hubs (and MANY more flight paths) and they're more tightly packed together. Add the Dungeon Finder and you'll more than likely outlevel zones rather than have to grind up for the next one.

Comment

I agree that there isn't enough grinding thesedays. You can whisk through the entire process without discovering much of the content.

Add to that the amount of end game players that play like ebayers because they've never needed to exploit their abilities to the fullest.

The game needs more dungeons that require skill like the original Magister's Terrace through lvls 10-70 that offer good exp. Questing/grinding should give next to nothing IMO.

Comment

9.1 million exp to lvl 85. T_T

I'm 15&#37; done. Luckily these new zones are awesome. Uldum is a real favourite of mine and I usually hate desert 'levels'.

Comment

Blizzard re-activated my account \o/

lv 63. God Outland is such an awful place to level. Jam packed with enemies, dull grindy quests...

The Vanilla changes really just show up how shoddy a lot of the quest design for TBC was. Doing most my leveling through BGs

Comment

Isn't it quicker doing instances from lvl60-70? I remember instances from 70-80 were a waste of time.

Comment

Level 85 now. I have 105k health in **** gear and I'm only doing about 10&#37; more damage than I did at 80. PvP is a tank fest and 1v2 is utterly impossible now. I don't know if I want to keep playing this to be honest. ;p I know it's only early days but with each update the game seems to progressively get ****ter and ****ter. I keep coming back because of the urge to play, but that game was left back in 2007/2008.

Comment

I have started tanking.

Comment

Working...
                              X