War with Iran (spoiler thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War with Iran (spoiler thread)

So, looks like we're going to war with Iran; no good immediate reason but people are evidently actively searching for one.

Always need a fresh war. If you want to see where all the systems in our world are rotten and don’t serve humanity, look to the arms industry and the war machine.

A couple of decades ago, I saw a study that broke down the expected effects of total peace on several countries. The UK was one that would pretty much have its economy collapse as a result. But just googling now, I think that it ranked higher among world’s arms suppliers back then (I think it may have been number 2 back then), although my memory is hazy on it.

Comment

They used to make tanks in Hunslet, place I'm from. Apparently, they traumatised my uncle as a youngster, the trundling tracks made them appear like mechanical dinosaurs, electronic monsters. He died an alky aged 59.

I'm looking for a new job. They may start making the tanks again. I could walk to work, saving £5 in bus fare. I'd be £25 better off per week.

The glory of tanks.

Comment

As with most things these days, all on Trump

Comment

Isn't it nice when you wake up and you learn American has started another war?

Comment

We don’t have time to sort Brexit, too busy fighting a war. Sorry Britain, no deal exit. Not my fault, love Boris.

Comment

I keep seeing news footage on the beeb about it, and it's infuriating because they're CLEARLY dancing around saying something - what reason have Iran given for detaining the freighter?

I don't care if they don't believe it. I want to know what they've given as the reason, and I'll make up my own damn mind.

Comment

Didn’t the UK seize an Iranian ship a few weeks ago? I’m finding it impossible to google with the current news but I thought that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Didn’t the UK seize an Iranian ship a few weeks ago? I’m finding it impossible to google with the current news but I thought that happened.
                  Yes; there was something about the military believing they were transporting oil to Syria.

However, Iran's reason isn't "because you did something to one of our ships". The Beeb is heavily implying that's the reason but I want to know Iran's stated reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                    They used to make tanks in Hunslet, place I'm from. Apparently, they traumatised my uncle as a youngster, the trundling tracks made them appear like mechanical dinosaurs, electronic monsters. He died an alky aged 59.

I'm looking for a new job. They may start making the tanks again. I could walk to work, saving £5 in bus fare. I'd be £25 better off per week.

The glory of tanks.

Every cloud, eh.

Comment

So when did this war start? Looks like a diplomatic incident to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        So when did this war start? Looks like a diplomatic incident to me.
                        My point is that we will look upon this, and that recent kerfuffle the US had with Iran, as the initial pretext in 2025 when we look back on why NATO invaded Iran.

Comment

I doubt NATO will want to be involved. Most of the NATO nations will just see this as an American thing at the moment with no reason to get involved.
                          The UK, although pissed off at Iran right now, won't want to risk another gulf war, particularly with a new leader in the commons.

Comment

Snore.

Good luck getting the troops to go to Iran, I know a lot of squaddies and forces guys and there all of the same mind now, the Gov can get F*****D with a massive pole if they think anyone’s going out to fight another false war.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Good luck getting the troops to go to Iran, I know a lot of squaddies and forces guys and there all of the same mind now, the Gov can get F*****D with a massive pole if they think anyone’s going out to fight another false war.
                              The point is, if they said "let's go to war with Iran" tomorrow, it'd never work. Instead, the agenda is to find things. Reasons. Little ways to provoke the Iranian government.

Good things about what Iran might do in the region, or good things their government does will disappear from the news, but any bad things will make it through, no matter how inoccuous when viewed from a detatched perspective. You'll see headlines about them selling weapons (when the US is the biggest arms dealer in the world), about them being a theocracy each time their equivalent of the Westboro people yell something (when the bible-thumping Republicans are in power in the US), about them undertaking nuclear research (when countries all over the world are doing that and the US has a huge stockpile of nukes ready-to-go and likely nuclear submarines just off their shore)...

It's done in little steps.

Now, I'm not saying Iran is some kind of perfect country. I actually know very little about Iran. I just know that in the last century, we British involved ourselves in its politics and it ended badly, and like **** should we do it again. It's half the world away and we should just leave them the **** alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X