No announcement yet.

Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget the Frank Miller run on Daredevil.

I recently purchased some of it but haven't got round to reading it.

I need to buy all the collected editions/paperbacks but they cost a bit. I think Born Again can be bought cheapish on Amazon.

Miller's Dark Knight Returns-favourite Batman story ever.

Comment

- From Hell is a tremendous Ripper comic, a million times better than the film.
      - I echo the calls for Sandman.
      - Maus is a classic, a must-read.
      - Bone by Jeff Smith is a lot of fun.
      - Fell: Feral City is a great read. I love Ben Templesmith's art in this book. It's a series of one-off (yet thinly linked) stories about a cop in the rough end of town. It's got a great mood and tight, interesting short stories. Problem is, it's only one book, and the comics themselves are only released once every blue moon. Feral City is the trade paperback for stories 1 to 8, and they've only put out one more comic since then.

Comment

Bone is quite good. You can pick up the one volume anthology pretty cheap too.

I would also recommend the Dark Knight Returns. Fantastic from start to finish.

Umbrella Academy is pretty good too. I'm still trying to track down the hardcover/slipcase/whatever version of the first series

Comment

If you are into historic Japanese culture and/or samurai, then I should really plug Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo. Partly because it's an excellent comic, and partly because Stan is one of the nicest people in the world and someone I feel I can call a friend. He is someone who isn't afraid to connect with his fans, although I suspect that's partly because we're not tens of thousands deep; he even charactertured quite a few of us prominent fans in one issue to boot heh.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

some great suggestions coming through, thanks everyone.
            i forgot to mention i used to read 2000AD way back in the late 80s / early 90s, and loved JD and ABC warriors. there was some great one off stories in there too.

Comment

I've been thinking of suggestions most the weekend and I don't want to overhype any stories because they'll never be able to achieve the levels of anticipation.

I think Batman: Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen deserve the hype they get though.

I have enjoyed a few Batman stories: Batman: Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Year One, Hush, Killing Joke and Gotham by Gaslight, but I prefer Marvel. They've done some great story arcs recently starting with Planet Hulk, which lead to World War Hulk and Secret Invasion and finally Dark Reign.

The comic series I've enjoyed following from those were The Mighty Avengers And Dark Avengers and The Invincible Iron Man. The Iron Man series have been brilliant, especially the beautifully drawn Extremis.

Other ones I've really enjoyed have been The Walking Dead and Invincible by Robert Kirkman. Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing was really good and most of his stuff is good and he's an ex-2000AD writer.

Punisher Max has been amazing. There's no superheroes in it, just Frank Castle taking down the mob in gruesome ways. Each story is about 6 issues long and although they follow each other, you don't have to read them in order.

Anything drawn by Alex Ross is gorgeous. Marvels is great and so is Kingdom Come. I couldn't get into Earth X though.

Mark Millar is a great writer and I've really enjoyed Wanted (very different from the film), Superman: Red Son, Kick Ass, Marvel 1985, Nemesis, Superior and Civil War. The first Marvel Zombies is great fun!

Y-The Last Man, is a great apocalyptic tale that has a really great lead character and a gripping premise.

The Authority is worth checking out for a different take on superheroes.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
              is fantastic! The film has nothing on the book!

The Sin City books are all brilliant. Great intertwining stories with unique artwork from Frank Miller. Ronin is another good 'un by him.

Google "Top 10 Graphic Novels" to see what comes up, but there are some of the stories that have stood out for me over the years!
              Last edited by QualityChimp; 24-01-2011, 11:44. Reason: added links

Comment

This is quite an old site so it might not have the more recent stuff, but it has a lot of reviews of graphic novels:

Try and just read the intro and ending to some of the longer reviews to avoid spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad
                  Feral City is the trade paperback for stories 1 to 8, and they've only put out one more comic since then.
                  Warren suffered a total hard drive disaster (and back up, and the chap he sent his machine to to have file recovery done died, and he never got it back). It killed off a novel he was on, and knocked back about 5 different ongoing series.

Fell #10 has just been finished from his side though, so as soon as Templesmith has some time to draw it, we should finally be back on track

Comment

Yes! At last, it's definitely a favourite of mine.

Comment

Blimey QC that's some serious list there...gonna have to investigate some of them myself.

Still not got round to picking up Planet Hulk.

Have you read any of the Seige saga yet??

Just waiting for the Green Lantern Blackest Night GN to arrive at the mo...been itching to read it for a while now.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                        Blimey QC that's some serious list there...gonna have to investigate some of them myself.
                        agreed, good work QC.

Comment

Ha ha, well, that's many years' worth of reading!

Usually I'm spurred on by threads and top 10 lists like this!

Soundwave, did you ever read the Dreamwave G1 Transformers books? It was pretty good until Pat Lee decided to stop paying the freelancers...

Comment

Good call on Alex Ross his painted artwork is awesome, can NEVER forget his Harley Quinn cover. I remember seeing the process of that in Wizard magazine and being fascinated by it and how much he references. Alex Ross and Joseph Linser became my favourite painted artists.
                            Marvels and Kingdom Come are bothe fantastic reads, even though I like the Marvel universe I favoured Kingdom Come, it really was epic.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Ha ha, well, that's many years' worth of reading!

Usually I'm spurred on by threads and top 10 lists like this!

Soundwave, did you ever read the Dreamwave G1 Transformers books? It was pretty good until Pat Lee decided to stop paying the freelancers...

And not a moment wasted there...wish I'd never really got out of the hobby, I feel so far behind the times it's hard to know where to pick up from again.

I have indeed read everything that Dreamwave put out based on G1...I was a TF comic whore for a long time
                              Absolutely loved it, the writing was good & the art out of this world.
                              Shame like you said that Pat decided to stop the freelance.

Just out of curiosity QC have you had any experience with the new Batman & Robin series??
                              Looks pretty interesting.

Neil

Comment

oh i will recommend this ...the worlds funnest a sort of one shot comic with batmite and mr mxylptk (or whatever he is called ) its not very long but parodys the comics and has pages done by different artists (in frank miller and alex ross) first comic in years made me laugh out loud

Last edited by eastyy; 24-01-2011, 22:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X