Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Programming Thread (was New to Programming)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
    If I use those tutorials, I'll be able to make a shooting game. I'd rather learn some basics before I jump straight into what will actually just be me copying someone's code and never quiiite understanding what's happening. Plus, book means I can switch the internet off, that'll help

This isn't about relying on others to motivate each other, just that it can't hurt and if we're all learning together, we can all help each other together. If I'm on my own, so be it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Vi...5456082&sr=1-1
    I assumed you already had some sort of previous programming experience, so yeah, if you don't then you're right in wanting to start with something a bit simpler. My problem with programming books is that they often take the scenic route when it comes to explaining things that could usually be explained in a single sentence or paragraph.
    Last edited by bcass; 15-05-2011, 13:33.

Comment

I'd definately be up for learning some programming around that time, as it's still before college starts for me.

personally I'd rather jump straight to c++, as that's the most common programming language, but I know there are plenty of debates already about which language to learn first.

If c# is pretty similar to c++ then I will give it a go as well, but I don't really want to 'unlearn' the very basic stuff of what I know of c++ already.

Comment

I'm definitely interested-did have a very brief look at pascal a few years back but I realised growing up with only a console (wheres an amiga when you need one eh?)-means that its hard to keep up with ppl who've been tinkering with code since they were kids. On a related note-the only thing I know about the maths for coding is you need to be able to find vectors in matrices and algebraic algorithms-I find it quite hard to make the the connections between the math in its original notation and what it looks like in programming language. I've been advised to stay away from dummies books-but I like the scenic route if it means I get an adequate explanation.

Comment

@malc no multiple inheritance and no proper template classes in c#. other than that it's a kind of c++ / java hybrid from what I've seen.

Also, c++ is very common right now but its use is in decline. Java and ruby are on the increase. I'm a die hard c++ guy but if I was just starting I'd be tempted to check out java as well before making a decision.

Comment

I don't think C++ is that great for beginners. C# has garbage collection, avoiding many potential memory management nightmares that you can easily get into with C++. Java seems to be very messy compared to C# too. Get used to C# first then if you want to progress to more powerful platforms it's realtively straight forward to learn other object oriented languages once you have one nailed.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
              Okay, anyone genuinely up for this? IT'S ALMOST TIME. If anyone's got any recommendations for books for the total beginner I'd love to hear 'em, otherwise we'll just end up with C# for Dummies and work from that and the internet!
              After the 25th (my final exam), I'm totally down with this.

Comment

Can someone that can program in C# have a quick gander at this?

The contents page for a free Visual C# .NET programming course for complete beginners.

Does it look decent enough? A book would be more ideal, really, but I've no idea which are *good* and so don't want to waste money on something that I can't use! That tutorial looks alright, though, but I've got no experience so I dunno if I'm being misled and really it's crap

Comment

Looks like a good starting point. I've been coding in C# for a few years now and those tutorials look sound enough for beginners.

Comment

Ace. Shall probably work from them, then.

So, 25th? WHO'S IN?

Comment

Looking at those c# tutorials I see there's no specifying of the type of size of the variable you are entering. Like an int, short, char etc. Is that what you mean by memory management issues for beginners with c++?

Comment

No. I'm talking about things like pointers and class destructors in C++ that you don't have to be so concerned about in C#. Basically, in C++ you have to manage memory yourself whereas in C# it's automatically done by the garbage collector.

Comment

Best IDE then; Visual Studio c# express edition?

Also, is it worth going even further back and starting with something like visual basic, or is that too far removed from the more powerful programming languages?

Comment

Yeah, VS C# Express is your best bet. If your aim is to eventually program games, then I wouldn't bother going back to a BASIC language. All the main points you'd be doing (variables, loops, arrays, etc.) are all covered in those C# tutorials that toythatkills linked to. Besides, Visual Basic (.NET) is actually quite similar to C# now anyway.

Comment

Hmm, looking further into the tutorials and it seems that the writer doesn't really explain what all the code means. It also seems that parts of it are just like drag and drop design excercises whilst not explaining what is actually going on at the core.

To me that's like driving a car, most people can do it, but your not actually learning what's happening under the bonnet.

Comment

Just type "C# tutorials" into Google. They'll be loads of sites out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X