Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger
    It plays well, it looks erm scruffy.
    Dont THINK i will be paying $350 for it.
    Dissapointment of the year so far for me
    Maybe it's just me, but I actually like it - have been playing it (*cough* Kawaks *cough*) since yesterday, although I did go to Game Focus originally to play, seeing as we're reviewing it.

After the wash of Capcom-style VS titles, I'm appreciative of some SNK action. Backgrounds are a little bland, but I like what's there... although I don't know if I'd pay for it on Neo-Geo. May get the PS2 version though.

Comment

I've heard a lot of bad things but i'm reserving judgement until I play it. (Should have the home cart Mon/Tues.) This was my most anticipated game of the year but everything i've heard since the arcade release has put a downer on that.
      High hopes for SS0 and MS5 though. They both look the dogs'.

Comment

If the MVS version materialises, i'll probably get it when it drops to a good price
        No way would I splurge ?200ish on it after some of the stuff I've read

Comment

But it's still SNK VS Capcom, on Neo Geo 8)

Comment

One other thing. The music in SVC:Chaos is bloody rubbish. I can't believe how bad some of the stage music sounds, they really could of put a lot more effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaipon
              One other thing. The music in SVC:Chaos is bloody rubbish. I can't believe how bad some of the stage music sounds, they really could of put a lot more effort in.
              Hmm. It's as if they've forgotten how to compose great music like in the olden days (pre '00).

*whistles Blue Mary's RB2 theme"

Comment

Originally posted by quexex
                This May well be the last NeoGeo AES game too!
                someone says that every time a new AES game is released, plus as well as SS0, MS5 and probably KOF'03 i believe last blade 3 has been confirmed.

Comment

If LB3 does appear on Neo Geo I reckon that'll be a huge test for Playmore. IMO the Last Blades are the most technically and visually impressive fighters on the system. If Playmore can release a decent sequel to LB2 with the same level of detail and without cut 'n paste sprites and backgrounds, i'll be over the moon. Actually, until recently I wouldn't have thought it would be possible but after seeing the MS5 vids you never know!

Comment

Got SVC. My impressions from another forum:

Impressions are mixed.
                    My first impression was "Jesus, it's fast!". I remember reading somewhere it was a bit slow, WTF was that all about? Feels a tad faster than KOF to me. It has great pace to it (With the right characters, but i'll come back to that.)
                    After a couple of rounds though, I was kinda feeling disappointed. Well, very disappointed actually and the game isn't initially that inspiring. Firstly, the graphics, they seemed to look great from those first vids but actually it's a very mixed bag. The characters, in general are very well drawn and visually they fit together perfectly. It's really interesting seeing what SNKP have done with some of the Capcom ones. Sagat for example looks better than ever imo (even if he does have a dodgy accent) and Dhalsim is animated all wobbly! Speaking of animation, its hardly MOTW quality. They've taken the easy route and gone for a cheap motion blur effect but, actually, it looks pretty good.
                    In my opinion, the worst thing about SVC visually though are the special effects. They either look great, or they look naff. Ryu's Hadouken for example looks bloody awful and this is made all the more obvious by characters like Ryo having pretty effects ripped from KOF. Another example that springs to mind would be Genjuro's basic sword slash's that just aren't as detailed as SS4. A lot of effects also look pixellated, as does blood and water on occasion.
                    The backgrounds are a bit hit or miss too. From screens I thought they looked a bit deserted but you don't actually notice in game and they suit the epic battle feel quite well really. The problem is, some look much better than others, my least favourite being the abandoned train tracks one which looks very grainy.
                    And this is the problem with the game in my view. Its so hit and miss, and in gameplay as well as visually. The game can look great with the right characters and the right stage but mix some naff specials with a dull background and it's very different. Same applies for how it plays. Some characters just don't feel right, for example, Dhalsim who I mentioned earlier is painfully slow, probably to balance his long range ability, and I avoid him at all costs, despite his new quirky animation. Having said that, if you find a character you like, you're away and when you do get over it's shortcomings and get into SVC, it's seriously deep.
                    I can totally see why this is popular in Japanese arcades. The gameplay is heavy. When they say "Not a match. Struggle", they aint joking. Unlike KOF, SVC throws you right in the deep end. If you give your CPU opponent space, they'll throw cheap moves at you and this is the first stage, not half way through like KOF. Your opponent will pull way more moves on you than in KOF, even on easy and the combos are just awesome! Add all that to some great characters you never thought you'd see on a Neo and a fantastic pace and you've got some tense matches. After I gave it a bit of time I found myself into it as much as a decent KOF game. It does have those qualities in there if you just look for them and there are other things I like too. The bosses are fantastic and break up the game well. Violent Ken will not disappoint. The dialogue before and after matches is great too and 2 player is brilliant with 2 decent players.
                    So, in a nut-shell it was over-hyped and it?s not a trip back to the SNK of old but with a bit of time there is serious depth to be found here. Really compelling, tight, addictive gameplay hidden in a slightly jumbled exterior.

Comment

ive sold my homecart already cause it sucks ft:

trev slots last blade 2 back into his neo

Comment

When you compare it to LB2, yep, it sucks but i'm quite enjoying it. Its visually jumbled with broken gameplay but I think it's a lot of fun when you get over that. Varied and challenging in single player and a real novelty in VS. I can totally see why it doesn't justify ?200+ for some people though.
                        Not the CVS flooring classic it could've been. If only this was 4 years ago.

Playmore have shifted over 5000 carts in Japan mind so it's been a nice little earner for them!

Comment

Secret Characters:

Enter in character select before the timer reaches 10

Geese:Hold Start + ???????? + any button
                          Dan:Hold Start + ???????? + any button
                          Riot Iori:Hold Start + ???????? + any button
                          Goenitz:Hold Start + ???????? + any button
                          Mars People:Hold Start + ?????????? + any button
                          Demitri:Hold Start + ???????? + any button
                          Violent Ken:Hold Start + ???????? + any button
                          Zero (Megaman):Hold Start + ?????????? + any button
                          Shin Akuma:Hold Start + ???????????? + any button
                          Shin Mr Karate:Hold Start + ???????????? + any button

Paste in Word and change the gibberish to Wingdings
                          ? = Up
                          ? = Down
                          ? = Left
                          ? = Right

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls
                            Playmore have shifted over 5000 carts in Japan mind so it's been a nice little earner for them!
                            maybe ill pick the homecart up again when there dirt cheap,i dont think this game will hold its value

but i also needed the money to repair my car

anyway mate hope you enjoy it

Comment

Working...
                            X