Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server and Performance (now with NimbusHosting from post #129 onwards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I figured out what was happening with the reaaaally slow page loads. It was probably the server doing self-updates. It happened again just now for a couple of mins. I don't think it happens very often and is important for security purposes.

Comment

Are the avatar pics smaller for every one too or is it a Fader-only problem?

Comment

vbulletin confirmed that I might need to keep threads shorter e.g. 200 pages max, so I've locked a lot of threads. The database tuner suggests it is now running a lot quicker and page loads generally seem quicker to me. Has anyone elses noticed any difference?

Comment

Loads faster for me...well Off Topic does and thats where my problems were. It had actually stopped working at all on my phone but now its back to normal!

Comment

Absolute mess for me, hangs, crashes and when I edit text or message it postsNothing or throws up a character error

Comment

anyone else seeing this?

Comment

Is it normal for a forum that we have to lock threads at 200 pages, and start a new thread? I don't see this other places?

Comment

It's a known issue with vbulletin. It's only a problem in popular long threads if many people all jump in at the same time - the slight delay in processing can then reach critical mass and pile up causing servers with low memory to spiral into oblivion due to I/O bottlenecking on the harddrive. Since I called it out, several other forums have started doing closing threads too. Since implementing, we haven't had a single forum outage due to bottlenecking. (We've had a few due to database corruption which I'm still trying to figure out, but that's completely different).

We have 1GB of ram, which would normally be plenty. For example, average server response time is 0.6s and average download time is 0.15s, so it's plenty fast enough in normal situations. For info, average page load (includes client browser page build time) is 2.4s. However, I'll be upgrading to 2GB soon.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    It's a known issue with vbulletin. It's only a problem in popular long threads if many people all jump in at the same time - the slight delay in processing can then reach critical mass and pile up causing servers with low memory to spiral into oblivion due to I/O bottlenecking on the harddrive. Since I called it out, several other forums have started doing closing threads too. Since implementing, we haven't had a single forum outage due to bottlenecking. (We've had a few due to database corruption which I'm still trying to figure out, but that's completely different).

We have 1GB of ram, which would normally be plenty. For example, average server response time is 0.6s and average download time is 0.15s, so it's plenty fast enough in normal situations. For info, average page load (includes client browser page build time) is 2.4s. However, I'll be upgrading to 2GB soon.
                    Thanks for info!

Comment

We now have an upgraded server. Please post if you see any unusual issues.
                      Thanks to Nimbus hosting for doing this.

The following will be happening shortly:
                      vbulletin upgrade - possibly with a new classified area if it checks out in testing.
                      vbulletin style mods - new desktop theme in testing and if it's any good, will also check out the mobile style.

Comment

Great stuff Charles.

Comment

Seems fast and lovely from Norway!

Comment

Was having issues with connecting recently so I hope this upgrade fixes these.

Nice work.

Comment

All still going smoothly for everyone? Seems pretty nippy to me.

I'm going to hammer the sphinx server now to see what happens.

Comment

Really good performance still for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X