GBA SP 101 vs 001 comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GBA SP 101 vs 001 comparison

For those that are interested here is a comparison of the GBA SP 101 that was launched in 2006ish. It comes with a 2 level backlit screen as opposed to the poor on or off front lit screen of the 001.

So, here is are both machines set to low level light, in the 001 case, light off.

Here is the 001 light on and the 101 light on low. Difference is already massive.

Now both consoles set to bright.

Now showing Mario Kart on the 001 with light on.

Now on the 101 with light on low.

And finally light on high.

As you can see the 101 is so much better than the 001. The screen is wonderfully vivid in person. Any serious GBA fan should own one as it is the perfect machine. Plays both GBA and GB games in wonderful vivid colour.

Note I had to move the camera away for the Mario Kart bright shot as it just came out as a blurry mess.

8-)

I have one of these myself, a fantastic unit. I remember when the SP came out the jump from the original was huge, hard to believe it was the same game. But with the 101 the difference is even greater, better than a micro!

Comment

Night and day. I swear by mine, the 001 hasn't been used once since the 101 came along. I'd still like to kit out my original GBA with an Afterburner, though- or better yet, swap the 101's screen and pop it into the original's case.

Comment

I'd like one, but I still prefer the shape of the original GBA sadly.

The 101 screen won't work in an original GBA or even a 001 sadly.

Maybe with some modding, but I'm unfamiliar with the details.

Comment

Now I want that in my GBC.

Comment

So how does one check for a 101 over a 001, without knowingly being taken to the cleaners for the privilege?

Comment

search ebay for "gba bright"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBASP - a few details on how to spot it there.
              Last edited by charlesr; 13-05-2011, 07:39.

Comment

Yep, it's a fantastic unit, so glad I picked one up.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  search ebay for "gba bright"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBASP - a few details on how to spot it there.
                  cheers, very useful

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    I'd like one, but I still prefer the shape of the original GBA sadly.

The 101 screen won't work in an original GBA or even a 001 sadly.

Maybe with some modding, but I'm unfamiliar with the details.
                    It is indeed.

I bought a famicom SP from SuperDanX of these very forums which has been modded with the 101 screen.

Don't know the particulars of it but it may be as simple as swapping the shells?

Comment

Amazing, really did not expect that much of a difference! I remember after using one of those little plug in lights on my GBC and GBA how much I loved the SP, shame they didn't go straight to that, it's like a GBM screen but 4 times the size.

That's a good idea about switching the cases over - only SP I'd like to own now is the Famicom Color version, with the 101 screen it would be perfect.

Comment

Screens are interchangeable between 101's and 001's it is just a simple case swap. Neither screen will fit a original gba tho which is what speedy meant I think, I looked into doing it a little bit myself. Benheck forums might have a way round it ? http://forums.benheck.com/

Originally posted by crazymadone View Post
                        It is indeed.

I bought a famicom SP from SuperDanX of these very forums which has been modded with the 101 screen.

Don't know the particulars of it but it may be as simple as swapping the shells?

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                          Now I want that in my GBC.
                          Next best thing?

Comment

Here's mine :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                              Great website - wish I was even slightly good at soldering and all that - the backlit GB Pocket looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X