Q*bert - 1982
    BurgerTime - 1982
    Pole Position - 1982
    Moon Patrol - 1982
    Zaxxon - 1982
    Mario Bros. - 1983
    Star Wars - 1983
    Tapper - 1983

Here we have a collection of early arcade classics. Which 3 do you like the most?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-12-2018, 16:37.

Galaga is my favourite of all those games, and still the one that holds up best today. Plenty of them are good - if I had to pick a 2nd and 3rd, mine would be Scramble and then Centipede.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
      Galaga is my favourite of all those games, and still the one that holds up best today.
      Yeah, it stands the test of time well. I was playing Galaga 88 on the PC Engine last week.

Plenty of them are good
      I'd say all of them are either good or great, but some definitely grab me more than others. Robotron is easily my favourite.

if I had to pick a 2nd and 3rd, mine would be Scramble and then Centipede.
      Both excellent games. Someone did an amazing port of Scramble to the Atari 2600 recently and I've had a lot of fun playing it.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-12-2018, 21:58.

Comment

Tempest and Star Wars were among my most played arcade games back in the 80s, so they're deffo in my top three ... then probably Donkey Kong.

Our local leisure centre had the sit-down Star Wars cab and it was amazing. Really dark and loud. Great way to forget you were actually in Billingham Town Centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Our local leisure centre had the sit-down Star Wars cab and it was amazing. Really dark and loud. Great way to forget you were actually in Billingham Town Centre.
          I remember how sitting in the Star Wars cockpit really felt like being in the movies. It was incredibly immersive. I'd definitely try to buy one if I had the money and room.

Comment

I’m glad you said three, although it’s still pretty impossible heh. Star Wars, Tempest, Robotron, Defender, Moon Patrol... choose from that heh,
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              I’m glad you said three, although it’s still pretty impossible heh. Star Wars, Tempest, Robotron, Defender, Moon Patrol... choose from that heh,
              Yeah, I'd also find it tough to pick only three from these classics.

At the moment I feel like choosing: Scramble; Robotron; Mr.Do!

When it comes to also thinking about the cabs, I'd really like an original Robotron cab.

Comment

Donkey Kong, Rally X and centipede.

Comment

Originally posted by HailMary View Post
                  Donkey Kong, Rally X and centipede.
                  I really like Donkey Kong and Centipede. I remember the Amstrad had a great port of Donkey Kong. I haven't played much of Rally-X, so I really need to give it a few more goes. I played it a little bit on the Namco Museum compilation.

Comment

Star Wars One of my fav Arcade games of all time. Played this for years down in the Dirty Duck Arcade

Galaga My school had this Arcade machine lol (boy those were the days) . Timeless classic that I played for years on my break times

Zaxxon Loved the ZX Spectrum version of this and played it to death

Comment

Star Wars - That cab was amazing and immersive and it ran really fast. It's still playable today.
                      Rally X - Those cars really shifted! It was a nice alternative to Pac-Man.
                      Donkey Kong - A great game that had lots of personality. The arcade cabinet was really eye-catching.

Comment

Same about Rally-X, but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          down in the Dirty Duck Arcade
                          That name always makes me laugh.

Galaga
                          My school had this Arcade machine lol (boy those were the days) . Timeless classic that I played for years on my break times
                          I wish my school had had arcade machines.

Zaxxon Loved the ZX Spectrum version of this and played it to death
                          I didn't know it was released for the Spectrum.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Star Wars - That cab was amazing and immersive and it ran really fast. It's still playable today.
                          Yeah, it still stands the test of time. I guess there's a bit of nostalgia involved, but it's definitely a nice retro experience.

Comment

Well I know which takes number one and two slots as in the last Retro Arena you did for arcade classics from the golden era, it was a toss-up between Galaga and Donkey Kong for me. I’m tempted to award the third spot to Star Wars (in its cockpit format) but instead, rather than bemoan its absence on your list, I’m just going to nominate Asteroids.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              I’m just going to nominate Asteroids.
                              I should have included it. For some reason, it's not a game I ever think about. I don't think I've ever played it in an arcade. I do like the concept though, which was used in later games like Blasteroids and Super Stardust.

I also didn't include Space Invaders, but that's because I don't find it fun at all. I decided against including every 'early arcade classic' people could think of. So games like Amidar and Phoenix were omitted.

Comment

Working...
                              X