This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo Wii U

There doesn't actually seem to be a headline thread for the console. Can't really chat about it in the Nintendo conference thread indefinately so probably best to have a dedicated topic.

Anyhow, Digital Foundry have an article speculating on the GPU

Last year, Nintendo big cheese Reggie Fils-Aime made a passionate speech to attending E3 delegates about the extraordin…

Can't really find much wrong with their logic although it will be very frustrating if it is a 4670 based chip, would pretty much mean that it's near identical performance to the 360 and PS3 (albeit with a handful of more advanced features).

Apparently Nintendo have said they'll release some specs in the next few weeks. Given the reaction to their unveiling hasn't been the best, it wouldn't suprise me if Nintendo try to give the console a bit more of an airing, even before TGS (probably by encouraging third parties to announce/show off games)

Their stocks fell after E3. That should get them talking!

Comment

It wasn't a standard blip where it goes down then comes back up the next day. It was two solid days falling.

They need a very public "here are the details of the Wii U" announcement but they can't be seen as going into panic mode.

Comment

It was a big headed of a move by Nintendo to just show and demonstrate the controller without any additional information about the console or anything else. Hopefully Nintendo will learn from their mistakes and know they don't have the balls of steel they think they have.

Comment

Thing is it's roughly PS3 level power. A drop more, a drop less doesn't matter as it's not a 'next-gen' machine so I don't know really what the tech obsessed peeps are expecting to get from the info. Nintendo are repeating the Wii so the power doesn't mean much, the only difference this time is they've shown the system before the next ones arrive. They need to clearly communicate it's gameplay features rather than system specs, core gamers won't be relying on the WiiU for their Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 etc

Comment

The only major mistake with the conference, I think, was to fail to say "this is a new console". That's what caused the confusion – with using current gen controllers, it made it look like an add-on to the current Wii. They could also have given a ballpark comment on power "same as PS3", but maybe it's not finalised.

Comment

I watched the conference and was very confused as to whether it was a new console or a new controller forthe standard Wii. It was only when the trailer showing Batman and Darksiders that I thought it was defo a new a new console.

It's a bit weird that you can only use 1 controller with the new machine. It limits multiplayer somewhat!

Comment

I like the augmented reality stuff and the news that they will have 'core' games. But why is the controller so massive, it could be half the size and be much more effective.

It IS a new console, just the controller was the focus of the presentation.

Comment

Size of the screen is probably down to two things:

Being able to rest the controller on your knees. A 3-4 inch screen would be pretty hard to see when not held up at around eye level.

So you can conforfotably play full games on it.

Going back to the specs, it seems increasingly likely that IGN's speculation that it's a 4850 were well off and a 4670 is more likely. Maybe they should go back to spotting videogame characters that are "fake gay"

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                    The only major mistake with the conference, I think, was to fail to say "this is a new console".
                    This hits the nail on the head

Comment

Yeah they did show it in the videos and it did look different from the standard Wii but they made no mention of it or even showed it until after the presentation. I think the first images of the new console where on the Guardian website or something. Pretty stupid thing not to show IN the presentation.

Comment

It was a conscious decision though, it means that all the Media outlet's showed pictures of the controller when ever they talked about the new console.

So when the BBC reported on Nintendo announcing a new console the picture of the pad was shown and the casual gamers that Nintendo target see what Nintendo want them to see.

Comment

Conscious decision it may have been, but it left a lot of people confused so it backfired. I can't imagine the casual gamers you're talking about will bother to look deeper into it if they're confused. If nobody knows what Nintendo is actually selling, they have a problem. I think they had the right idea - I like Reggie's explanation that a box is just a box. But the execution was wrong.

Comment

Casual gamers won't of been logged onto gametrailers watching the show live though would they?
                            They will of found out from the BBC or Daily Mail or whatever
                            The gaming giant Nintendo's next-generation Wii games console will feature a hybrid controller with a touchscreen.

they make it very clear what to expect.

When I was watching, It was really confusing, for quite a while I wasn't even sure it was a new console or not. As soon as they started showing Batman and the other games that were definately not of the Wii ilk it was obvious there was a new console there.

The conference was pretty confusing and could of been much better,They should of made it clearer it was a new box, but I think they made the right choice in not showing it.

Comment

Yes, that BBC article is much clearer than anything Nintendo put out around that time. I guess I'm seeing this confusion also in the context of their new handheld, games for which are currently intermingled with DS games on shelves in many places. Clarity is going to become very important for Nintendo.

Comment

Working...
                              X