This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winner of Rebrand Competition!

As you may know, we have been considering the possibility of a rebrand.

Whilst the NTSC-uk name is iconic and has lasted for 10 years, apart from the Wii (and retro gaming), it doesn't hold much current relevance. If we can come up with a good enough alternative, we will rebrand.

We sat down and tried to distil the essence of what we are about and what we should be about, and decided our “mission statement” is:

We passionately review any game, whatever the region, whatever the format.
    We are home to a welcoming and knowledgeable community on our forums.

I've highlighted a few words that I think differentiate us from a lot of other gaming sites.

So keeping the above in mind (or not!), I'd love it if you would come up with ideas for a new name for the site please.

As an incentive, I'm offering a prize (the game of your choice, up to ?60) for the best idea (decided upon by NTSC-uk staff), regardless of whether we use it or not.

To be in with a chance of winning, you must send me a PM with your idea(s), clearly stating the reasoning behind it (them). You may send as many ideas as you wish. This competition is subject to the rules below.

The following rules ("Contest Rules") apply to the NTSC-uk rebrand ("Naming Contest"). You can print off the Rules, or store them in your computer, for future reference. By participating in the Naming Contest, you agree to be bound by the Contest Rules. If you do not agree to the Rules, you should not enter the Naming Contest.
    The Naming Contest is free to enter, and you do not have to make any purchase or payment (other than the normal costs of your internet access and telecommunications equipment).The Naming Contest is operated by Charles Rodmell (“Sponsor” or “we”).
    End Date
    The competition closes at 6pm, 10th July 2011. Any submissions received after this will not be entered into the competition.
    Eligibility
    The Naming Contest is only open to entrants who are 18 years or older.
    You are not eligible to enter the Naming Contest or win the prize if you are, or one of your immediate family members (parents, legal guardians, children, grandparents, grandchildren, spouses or siblings) or anyone living in the same household as you (whether or not legally related) is an employee of the Sponsor, the or any of its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies.
    Winning
    Submissions will only be competing against other Submissions received from entrants. During the judging period, all submissions will be reviewed by a team of judges ("Judges") assembled by the Sponsor.
    The Judges will review and judge all eligible Submissions based on overall artistic merit of the submission, using the following ranking criteria:
    (i) skillful use of talent;
    (ii) creative quality; and
    (iii) suitability (all equally weighted).
    The Judges will decide on the best submission using the above criteria and the Judges' decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest.
    The prize, a game of your choice up to ?60 in value, will be sent to the winner after the Judges have made their decision and the winner will be contacted by PM on www.ntsc-uk.co.uk.
    Intellectual Property in Submissions
    By submitting a submission, each entrant assigns to the Sponsor, and each of their licensees, successors and assigns any copyright or other rights in the submission in any part of the world, and entrants may be required to confirm such assignment in writing and all entrants irrevocably waive all moral rights in any submission.
    Entrants agree that the Sponsor shall have the sole discretion in determining the extent and manner of use of submissions and are not obligated to use any submission. Entrants agree not to issue any publicity concerning the Sponsor.
    The Sponsor may freely assign or transfer any of its rights or any rights conferred to it under these Contest Rules, in whole or in part. To the extent all such results and proceeds, including all intellectual property rights, are not automatically vested exclusively in the Sponsor, Winners irrevocably assign all such right, title and interest to Sponsor in perpetuity upon its creation.
    Where you have submitted a submission to the Naming Contest, you will be responsible for any losses and costs we may have resulting from a claim by a third party that there has been an infringement of its intellectual property rights in the Submission.
    These rules are governed by English law and you and we agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
    Last edited by charlesr; 24-06-2011, 14:28.

Use this thread to discuss what game you might get if you win.

Comment

Rebranding? But I fear change.

As for games, Deus Ex 3 maybe? It's coming out soon. Maybe Dark Souls! That way it could be the special edition with guide book. Perhaps for the ironylols, a really obscure, niche import game. Like a DS Mahjong title.

Comment

This is remarkably hard to do, lol. A google search per name idea shows just how saturated with game sites the net is. Could we have some more info as to the intended direction of the site to guide us? If it's moving away from import gaming where do peeps see the site heading?

Comment

It's not moving away from import gaming - there just isn't a focus on the TV signal any more with HD being worldwide. So this leaves local games, exclusives from other regions, ranting about region-locking (with IP locking and the increase of download services this is becoming a real problem for importers) and advice on relevant technologies, e.g. HD, 3D (plus retro advice for ntsc etc.)

Comment

It would be wise to somehow keep the explicit focus on import gaming simply because, in spite of changes in people's gaming habits due to massive progress in the industry, it has always been the key point of differenciation for the forum. Losing this would risk the forum becoming yet another gaming forum from the perspective of people who aren't already members of the site.

NTSC was a useful hook even when we all used RGB video rather than NTSC (though I recognise why this probably needs to be dropped).
            Last edited by sj33; 15-06-2011, 11:43.

Comment

What came out of our team discussion was actually that the website never 100% focussed on imports, and that it's always been a bit hit and miss in that regard. Ideally (in my view) what we're looking for is a name that acknowledges the past, leaves us open to future coverage (we want to keep the niche), but makes it more open ended than the name 'NTSC-UK'.

Comment

I don't know, guys. Does the name make a difference? Okay so what's relevant about the name NTSC-uk now? Maybe very little. But what is relevant about Amazon or, games wise, that other UK site, Rmmluk or whatever it is? What it does have, however, is history. Like the comic 200AD. Its title was meant to be futuristic. It's now not. But they didn't change it.

If you HAVE to change the name, that's one thing. But, if you don't, my suggestion is not renaming the site but perhaps updating it, seeing what else you can add, refine, change to just improve what is here. Because there are loads of gaming sites out there. Tons of gaming boards. What NTSC-uk has is exactly (and really only) what NTSC-uk built. I wouldn't drop that lightly.

But, hey, I'll come whatever the branding.

Comment

It's a challenge for sure. The current name is basically ideal - it gives people a hint about the general slant that the website has, and also the fact that it has a rather UK-based perspective (not in a manner that excludes others, but to emphasise that the perspectives here are perhaps different to what you might find at other, more US-centric websites). Capturing these elements is a bit of a challenge.

Of course, this might not be particularly important if the larger aim is to try and expand the website's focus. I'm just concerned about the loss of identity and danger of becoming 'yet another gaming website' to the unfamiliar.

Comment

I think that's why it's hard to think of something, you want something clear and fairly obvious but the actual wording 'NTSC-UK' doesn't specifically suggest importing or even gaming. It merely suggests multiple regions... which perhaps suggests it's still completely relevant, lol

Comment

Personally I'm not seeing the point in rebranding, but the most obvious (and probably taken) would be HD-UK.

So, what do I win?

Comment

Actually HD-UK is free. Get in there quick guys!

Comment

You're thinking along the same lines as me - that is, "something-UK". HD is good although might imply the forum is to do with AV rather than games, which I guess NTSC also implies, but HD doesn't cover the retro interest of the site whereas NTSC is completely relevant there.

Comment

HD-UK sounds more of a site meant to review HD TVs for the UK market more than a videogaming site...I'm pretty bad to come up with names, but right now I'm thinking that the best rebrand would be to discard completely the old name, though painful it might be.

Comment

Don't think I can officially enter but my vote would be for <REMOVED>. Every domain type is available
                              Last edited by Brad; 16-06-2011, 15:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X