No announcement yet.

Astronomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Mr. B! My scope is this one here - http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/c...telescope.html. It's not high end at all but seems to be generally pretty good for my quick usage. The tripod looks pretty good there but it is very light and so prone to wobbles. All I have done with it is use a T-ring thing to put my Nikon D3200 camera to the eyehole place (not familiar with the terms!). I also have a x2 multiplier optional add-on thing that can attach to that (and eyepieces). So that seems to get pretty good results with the moon but Jupiter and other objects are tricky.

The big thing I haven't yet done is calibrate that computer finder thingy. I really need to take the time to do that one evening.

Comment

Do you have these Dogg Thang? http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/c...sion-pads.html, also you can put counterweights or pendulum weights hanging from braces to give the scope more mass and steady it up.

Comment

No I haven't got those. Thanks, I'll look into getting a set and see what options there are to steady my tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          The big thing I haven't yet done is calibrate that computer finder thingy. I really need to take the time to do that one evening.
          You should do, it's really easy to do and should only take a few minutes. It's useful if you have a mobile / tablet astronomy app with you so if the scope says "point me at star X" you can use the app to make sure you're pointing at the right star (it's also a decent way of learning the position of those stars off by heart). Plus if the star it wants to use is blocked by a building or a tree, you can use the app to find the name of an alternative star that's in clear view.

I had a go at Jupiter with the DSLR last night but my efforts were like yours, except fuzzier You really need a camera with a small image sensor (such as a webcam) to get properly detailed pictures of planets. I took some Moon pics though, which came out nicely:

Comment

Nice! A webcam, really? I would never have considered that.

Comment

Photographer Thierry Cohen has created some images showing what the night sky of various cities around the world would look like if they were free from light pollution:

San Francisco

New York

Rio De Janeiro

Hong Kong

Shanghai

Comment

Live streaming video of Earth from the ISS:

It's fantastic. Well, except when the ISS is on the night side of Earth. Then it's just a black screen

Comment

Bit of a bump, some great posts in this thread, shame most photo's are no longer found though.

Really looking to get a telescope in the new year. So much to it all, refractor, reflector lenses etc. Looking at smallish budget if possible, not fussed about taking pictures at present, if anyone can suggest something suitable for moon and planet viewing in the ?150 to ?200 region really would be appreciated. Or be honest if I need to spend more. Thanks.

Comment

For those budding astronomers - there could be a big bang in a little under three hours time.

Not that you'll be able to see it from the UK, well, unless it creates a Kessler effect, Gravity style, this time with less Sandra Bullock though.

20:1 odds, so you need to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

Comment

There wasn't a big bang, which in some ways is disappointing - we'll just have to wait till the next one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51299638

Comment

Working...
                      X