No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that’s even harder, I hope they find an elegant solution as building a image like that is going to be a pain in the ass. Japanese covers I have found so far are a mixed bag with a lot having sunfade on the spines. If it’s going to be this tricky I won’t be chopping games in and out all the time like I do with my others. Will have to patiently wait and see what the hackers come up with.

Comment

Are Sega/Retro-Bit/AN Other not selling standalone versions of the standard three-button controller for this then??

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        Man that’s even harder, I hope they find an elegant solution as building a image like that is going to be a pain in the ass. Japanese covers I have found so far are a mixed bag with a lot having sunfade on the spines. If it’s going to be this tricky I won’t be chopping games in and out all the time like I do with my others. Will have to patiently wait and see what the hackers come up with.
        Exactly, this makes it all much trickier. I'm not involved with the project, but I'm guessing hacking program will have to pull new covers from its database and create a new bespoke collage for each person, based on what games they select. So it would make sense that the prog comes with a full database of every known/available cover. Even if you have to download an extra separate 200mb ZIP folder, containing standardised image files, it would streamline this.

Then it should be as easy as using Hakchi for SNES. You select the ROMs you want, the prog detects the header code/serial number, detects what game it is, then selects from its base of covers. If you select a non-standard ROM you can maybe manually select the game from a drop down menu, and voila! The program will automatically build the required cover collages for you and install them.

Maybe?

I mainly just want to change the CRT filters like I could with Hakchi, and disable anti-aliasing.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Are Sega/Retro-Bit/AN Other not selling standalone versions of the standard three-button controller for this then??
        Not that I know of. But if anyone wants a standard 3 button controller from the PAL Mini, I will post you mine in exchange for a 6 button wired controller from the Japanese Mini. I'll also cover your postage within the UK. I basically want one of each.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
          Fun times! Europe gets shafted just like it did in the 50Hz PAL era.

'Fun fact: The PAL version cannot access the US region version of the games, only the JP and EU versions.'
          Are the EU versions 50Hz or 60 Hz? I thought they'd have just used the US versions like Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Are the EU versions 50Hz or 60 Hz? I thought they'd have just used the US versions like Nintendo.
            I think this has been debunked as false info.

All regions of games are on the PAL MD Mini - US versions appear if you set language to Korean, apparently.

Comment

60Hz throughout. From what I'm told in some instances the actual US ROM was used for the PAL Mega Drive menu, unless there was a noticeable change, IE: Streets of Rage II instead of "2", or Probotector, Castlevania, Story of Thor, etc. However, I was also told that those US ROMs can be accessed via the Korean language menu.

So while I was worried at first, I've been told by people who have the PAL machines, that you can in fact access all the regions of games, and they all run in 60Hz.

Meaning the random guy on Reddit was lying to us all.

EDIT:
              Nu-Eclipse posted while I was typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                This is irritating but true. The poor filter options are much more serious than some minor unnoticeable audio lag. And very few are raising the issue. I've never been one for audio - I still listen to magnetic tapes on a 30 year old walkman. Lag means nothing to me.
                Yeah, and it's hardly mentioned because everyone on YouTube is trying to show how wonderful they are, in being able to detect lag, that's less than it takes one to blink LOL. Some of these so-called Mega Drive experts on YouTube weren't even born when the system launched.

Comment

Says a lot about how emulation has come on if lag that many people don't really notice is the big issue. Anyone remember the Dreamcast Smash Pack? The sounds on that were ear-splitting.

Comment

Thank you [MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION] ... I'll be buying a UK one based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

The biggest issue is one that's hardly covered and the rather poor CRT filter
                      Some people don't like scanlines, so they won't have to worry about this issue. I personally can't stand how retro games look on an LCD screen without scanlines, so I'll just have to hope the hackers do a good job. Hopefully we'll end up with adjustable scanlines.

It's great to know that all the talk off really noticeable lag is false.

Comment

Yeah, and it's hardly mentioned because everyone on YouTube is trying to show how wonderful they are, in being able to detect lag, that's less than it takes one to blink LOL. Some of these so-called Mega Drive experts on YouTube weren't even born when the system launched.
                        They are all just a bunch of tossers. "oh, look at me, I found lag. Oh no, it's unplayable. Never mind that I'm a complete tit who can't even understand how much lag is actually a problem. It's unplayable I tell you. Oh yeah my TV is ****e too but that's no effecting the lag".

Yep, all a bunch of tossers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          Anyone remember the Dreamcast Smash Pack? The sounds on that were ear-splitting.
                          I remember downloading a hacked Smash Pack to put my own ROMs on, and trying to discuss this on the DCemulation forums, and getting insta-banned, because they had some ****ed up policy that you were never allowed to discuss the hacked Smash Pack. Then I found a revised hack edition that removed the anti-aliasing of the first I downloaded (there were at least 2 builds floating around - the best one was found on French emulation forums, whereas one English download sites it was aliased, and the English emulation forums insta-banned you).

Personally I thought the Smash Pack's audio was just fine. So hopefully I'm too much of a philistine to notice any lag in the mini.

Thank you [MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION] ... I'll be buying a UK one based on that.
                          After first seeing this false info I looked into importing a Genesis unit (I actually prefer the English US/EU game selection) from VG+, and it's $100 plus $30 shipping (CAD), which last I checked came to £78 or thereabouts. Which is only £8 more than the RRP of the UK model shown on Amazon. So assuming you do not get stung on import fees (fingers crossed), it would not be that much more expensive.
                          Last edited by Sketcz; 26-09-2019, 16:52.

Comment

I had that 2-disc self-booting pirate Smash Pack collection that had hundreds of ROMs on it. Only problem was the horrendous sound. Still, back in the day I didn't care that much, they looked and played good. Just that sound...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              They are all just a bunch of tossers. "oh, look at me, I found lag. Oh no, it's unplayable. Never mind that I'm a complete tit who can't even understand how much lag is actually a problem. It's unplayable I tell you. Oh yeah my TV is ****e too but that's no effecting the lag".

Yep, all a bunch of tossers.
                              The same people who don't see to know there's lag on YouTube, more so when one is watching it on an LCD TV; But hey look at my massive collection of unplayed consoles and games in the background. I'm the world greatest expert on the Mega Drive too, even though I wasn't born until the late '90s.

Comment

But hey look at my massive collection of unplayed consoles and games in the background. I'm the world greatest expert on the Mega Drive too, even though I wasn't born until the late '90s.
                                lol so true!

Comment

Working...
                                X