1 2.00%

0 0%

0 0%

2 4.00%

7 14.00%

12 24.00%

26 52.00%
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I've only very vaguely touched on these games before, what's the best way to play them?

PC with mouse...........PC with 360 controller.............or console?

Couple of hours in and it's pretty much everything I had hoped for so far.

Best opening of an Elder Scrolls game so far. Fairly obvious what's going to happen but it shows they've improved the scripted sequences quite a bit. More atmospheric than anything in Oblivion. It's quite a lengthy introduction sequence, surprisingly so, but a good one.

Once out in the game world I had that feeling of being overwhelmed, so I just headed up to the most interesting looking landmark I could see from the starting point and the rest of my gametime has been spent in that dungeon. My word, talk about an improvement over previous games.

The dungeons are obviously hand crafted this time, this one gave me a quest as soon as I walked in, a bit of a plot, a boss fight, secrets, traps, puzzles...oh god! Stunning stuff, also really atmospheric walking through. Finished it now and have that great adventureous feeling that I've just beaten something I probably wasn't meant to do until later. I can't even use the thing you get as a reward yet!

Graphically it is massively better than Oblivion but still pretty average when you look at things up close. The overall 'look' is really nice though, especially walking around the world which has some great environmental effects, I especially like the low fog in the valleys when you look from above. Some of the textures are bizzarely out of place, like a single rock that has the look of being lifted straight ouf of Morrowind - this might be the issue people have mentioned when installing on 360 though. Honestly - if you are worried about this don't be, it looks great and runs at a nice framerate too. Some Bethesda jankyness though - if its snowing and you walk inside, yep, it's snowing inside too!
    Character models are much better too, and the character creator is probably the best Bethesda have done. You can even have a different coloured forehead to the rest of your skin

Presentation is excellent. The menus are among the best I've seen in a game, very clear, easy to navagate and also nice to look at, especially the skill tree which is awesome. Levelling works sort of like Oblivion, use stuff to level it, but you also unlock a 'perk' on each level which you can apply to any of the skills. Seems to work well.

Music is on one hand typical fantasy stuff, on the other hand some of the best I've head. The main theme is of course great, but everything else has been superb too.

Combat isn't the strong point of the game, again improved over Oblivion largely thanks to the dual wield mechanic of the magic and the super-slick menues, but the feel of steel on flesh is pretty sloppy. Dark Souls it ain't.

Not so keen on the ingame map, wish you could zoom out further and to be honest I'd rather an old style 2D map than this. You can't zoom out very far either, from what I can tell you can't even zoom out to see the whole gameworld which is odd. By the way you get a map in the box too.

All in all, great so far. Heading back in now

Quote Originally Posted by Baseley09 View Post
    I've only very vaguely touched on these games before, what's the best way to play them?

PC with mouse...........PC with 360 controller.............or console?
    Some purists might hang me for this, but I think PC with 360 controller is the way to go. Unlike an FPS, it doesn't really require quick reflexes, and it's nice to be able to sit back in my chair. The game also has native support for the 360 controller including analogue controls and vibration, both of which would be lost with keyboard/mouse.

String 'im up! Actually, I'll give that a go tonight. Mouse and keyboard feels fine but I did end up playing Witcher 2 with a pad so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
    Some purists might hang me for this, but I think PC with 360 controller is the way to go. Unlike an FPS, it doesn't really require quick reflexes, and it's nice to be able to sit back in my chair. The game also has native support for the 360 controller including analogue controls and vibration, both of which would be lost with keyboard/mouse.
    Cheers for the response, I think it's a dream combo to be honest, I know it is sacrilege but if I want an intense game of Battlefield 3 I can zone in with the KB/mouse, or equally I can lie on my bed with the 360 pad for a chill game.

So my roommate picked up my pre-order. Where is the cloth map? Don't want to open it until I know. I thought it was supposed to be in a bigger box with the day one edition?

So how does the levelling work in this? Is it like Oblivion where you had to keep track of all your minor and major skills or can I just play the game and go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by elaniel View Post
    So my roommate picked up my pre-order. Where is the cloth map? Don't want to open it until I know. I thought it was supposed to be in a bigger box with the day one edition?
    Mine came with a 'cloth looking' map that is actually just paper. Are there actual cloth maps out there?

The manual says you level up by mostly using your skills, then also books and people teaching you. The manual's a lot smaller than I remember Oblivion's being which suggests it's more instant playing this time than learning stuff before you start. I've not played yet, the time of day doesn't feel right. I feel like it should be dark!

So who's disappointed with the map then? It's just thicker, non shiny paper.

Improve the graphics and other things on PC version:

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-improve-skyrim-with-ini-file-tweaks/

S
    elf shadows on rocks and trees for example.

EDIT: An the glitches begin. Google if interested but there's a fairly serious one arisen that could spoil the game a fair bit IMO.
    Last edited by Brad; 11-11-2011 at 02:50 PM.