No announcement yet.

Fallout 76 - Bethesda's new car crash of an online game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm rather bemused. Are Bethesda really that desperate to want to try to pull this off? Seems so obviously last ditch and self-destructive I wonder whether they're on their uppers. If they're doing OK and are solvent however this is even worse.

Comment

I think it's just far more likely that the decisions at the company are being driven purely by the accountants rather than the creatives now.

This is why there's no chance of touching ES6 at launch, or even months after launch. It may well have a day-1 with limited microtransactions, but we've all seen the pattern; once the reviews window is done, the games become progressively more packed with paid for content and then 12 months later, seasons packs (of which I've yet to see in any game at all being worth the asking price) and subscriptions as we now have in FO76.

12 months after launch ES6 could be the soggy bottom of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        I think it's just far more likely that the decisions at the company are being driven purely by the accountants rather than the creatives now.
        Are they doing anything different from the likes of EA, Activision Blizzard, Take-Two Interactive or Ubisoft? Most are turning out games that are ruined or massively altered in some way by the business model.

Don't get me wrong, I do think BGS have done this very badly but they aren't behaving any different from most western developers or publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
          Are they doing anything different from the likes of EA, Activision Blizzard, Take-Two Interactive or Ubisoft? Most are turning out games that are ruined or massively altered in some way by the business model.

Don't get me wrong, I do think BGS have done this very badly but they aren't behaving any different from most western developers or publishers.
          That's true. It's depressingly commonplace. I guess the thing that distinguishes this example, though, is just how spectacularly broken and inferior the game is reckoned to be (I admit I haven't and will never play it), the fact it was released full price, plus now this out-of-the-blue and eye-watering subscription 'offer'. It's just a level of gall we haven't quite seen before. I look forward to seeing which of the developers you mention will rise to this challenge and do something even more amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
            It's just a level of gall we haven't quite seen before.
            Anthem...

Absolutely, the fall from grace for BGS is pretty eye opening. And as you say the greed is getting even more staggering.

There are possible exceptions like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Although I think that's part of a medium-budget repair EA's handling of the SW license during transition to the next gen as their big teams work on the next GaaS games.

Comment

Probably playing devil's advocate here but after the debacle at launch and lacklustre sales, I imagine they've gone with this approach as either "those who actually like the game need to pay in regularly or it's getting shut down" - as in keeping that stuff running is losing (or at least costing) Bethesda money, and it's either this or sunset.

When you play live service games that don't charge a monthly fee (but are supported by MTX) your activity, which costs the company money (server costs, bandwidth, price of adding new content to keep you playing) is effectively paid for by those few players that are spending hundreds or thousands in the game.

This is also why if you don't like freemium games, you shouldn't play them - at all. Playing them (even without paying) is part of what perpetuates the problem; for many of those high spending players, the game wouldn't be worthwhile if no-one was playing it.

Doesn't change the fact that it's bad value for money, though.
              Last edited by Asura; 24-10-2019, 11:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Probably playing devil's advocate here but after the debacle at launch and lacklustre sales, I imagine they've gone with this approach as either "those who actually like the game need to pay in regularly or it's getting shut down" - as in keeping that stuff running is losing (or at least costing) Bethesda money, and it's either this or sunset..
                Doesn't excuse it. Also, given the number of people playing it, they probably only need two servers.
                Last edited by MartyG; 24-10-2019, 21:04.

Comment

Bethesda already have Elder Scrolls Online with no monthly subscription, it had one and they removed it. Why introduce one for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    Bethesda already have Elder Scrolls Online with no monthly subscription, it had one and they removed it. Why introduce one for this?
                    No, TESO went from being premium subscription PC-only to multiformat 'buy to play' with an optional subscription a year or so later. It includes full access to all DLCs, unlimited material storage, in-game 'premium' currency and increased XP gain - amongst other things.

However it is cheaper (ranges from £6.83 to £8.99 depending on sub length), available in more options and arguably has more benefits. I would imagine the conversion for ESO Plus is quite high and therefore probably a common sense decision to introduce something similar for Fallout 76.

Comment

REPORT: Issues occurring for players using private servers and the Scrap Box

Private Servers

“There are a few issues cropping up here. Fallout 1st players are finding that a “newly created” world they might be heading into is not actually new at all. Players are reporting dead NPCs and looted areas when they get there, implying that these are not actually new instances, but instead re-used old instances masquerading as brand new private worlds.

The “private” aspect is up for debate too. Players with big friends lists, ie. merchants who sell players goods in the game, are finding that they can’t prevent people from joining their private servers where they just want to relax and play by themselves or with a few friends. Without some sort of “invisible” mode, other players can see your instance and join it.”

Scrap Box

“If you were looking forward to the unlimited storage of scrap in Fallout 76 with the new Scrap Box perk of Fallout 1st, you definitely don’t want to be using it just yet.

Multiple players are reporting that they have deposited hundreds of units of scrap in these new boxes, only to find that the box has eaten it. The scrap disappears from the instance, and can’t be found again from re-logging or anything. It’s just gone. Players are not amused at the fact that they have now paid for the privilege of losing all of their materials, and so far, there does not seem to be any way to recover any of this. So do not use these boxes until there’s a clear fix for this. Not that more than like, two of you reading this are going to subscribe to Fallout 1st, but still.”
                      hehe.

Comment

Lol amazing value for money.

Comment

To be fair, if you leave a load of scrap in a box, it's likely to disappear at some point. Probably some post-apocalypse Transit Dropside going round swiping it.

Comment

Ooops!

Someone registered the falloutfirst.com domain before Bethesda did...

* contains swearing *

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                              Ooops!

Someone registered the falloutfirst.com domain before Bethesda did...

* contains swearing *
                              Saw that yesterday i laughed my ass of it's scathingly brutal LOOL

Comment

If you add up every glitch, error and fault; the bag debacle, the law suits, this GaaS payment and now this website... The game is an unprecedented shower of ****. It will be remembered in the pantheon of world history.

Comment

Working...
                                X