Akira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guts View Post
    I think you missunderstood me Dave, I agree with you. I was talking in general about this whole ridiculous thing about people saying a film with a white cast is "rasist" or other rubbish.
    Guts, you've misunderstood the quote. Maybe I phrased it wrong, heres the whole bit "Elba maintains the view that change should occur in Hollywood to address the recent under-representation of black actors in Hollywood and the controversy it has caused. Elba said: "Imagine a film such as Inception with an entire cast of black people – do you think it would be successful?" Elba asks. "Would people watch it? But no one questions the fact that everyone's white. That's what we have to change."

Hollywood HAS to change and if it doesnt change it's current stance on repping ethnic diversity then they'll carry on to get away
    Last edited by bash; 02-12-2011, 09:39.

Comment

Maybe they'll use chocolate milk for the teddy bear scene?
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Bash, I don't think things are going to change any time soon, look at the skin lightening they are putting on black pop stars i.e. Rihanna, Beyonce, Rebecca Furguson, the pop stars go along with it to maintain there stardom of course.

Interracial movies are still taboo too. Even Will Smith was not aloud a white co-star in Hitch as the director thought it would detract from the story too much. What bollocks!

I think Akria as a Hollywood film would be awful.

Comment

Totally agree PSTB

@Joe, They'll probably have some stupid mineral water product placement instead

Comment

That teddy bear scene isn't even in the manga. It was quite epic though, easily one of the best parts of the anime that separates it.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
              Hollywood HAS to change and if it doesnt change it's current stance on repping ethnic diversity then they'll carry on to get away
              This isn't the 50's anymore and Hollywood has changed. There're many african-american Hollywood A-listers, 72% of the population of the U.S. are white, 12% are black, 16% are hispanic, if anything black actors are over-represented in Hollywood and latinos are under-represented. The quote is typical situation of crying "racism" where there's none.

Comment

@Guts, I disagree, there aren't "many" black Hollywood A-Listers, maybe B and C but not A-list. You've got Denzel, Morgan, Sam Jackson, Jamie Fox and Will Smith. That's all. Anyway, I didn't mean to just give a shout out to black peeps, Im for ethnic diversity for ALL races, so agree 100% about the Latino issue.

Man, you guys are setting me off on Akira now, FARK!

I first saw Akira when I was about 13 on the original VHS release licensed by Manga UK. It was a seriously life altering moment, if I ever become creative again and get into movie/game making then it'll certainly go down as a major influence on my life as well as Mad Max, FOTNS, Enter the Dragon, The Thing, Aliens and Predator (NOT the sh1tty AvP movie!), Matrix, Reservoir dogs, Pulp Fiction and Inception.

Just thinking about the 1st time I saw Kaneda's bike! Him starting it up with the sparks of electricity as it rumbled and the awesome soundtrack building up. The he blasts off and you get your first taste of the lights effects and realise you're witnessing what was state of the art animation for the time and still holds its own today. To think only one scene in Akira is computer assisted makes you realise the blood sweat and tears that must've gone into making it, FFS it was the first anime to feature lip syncing dialogue!!!

*head explodes*
                Last edited by bash; 02-12-2011, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                  This isn't the 50's anymore and Hollywood has changed. There're many african-american Hollywood A-listers, 72% of the population of the U.S. are white, 12% are black, 16% are hispanic, if anything black actors are over-represented in Hollywood and latinos are under-represented. The quote is typical situation of crying "racism" where there's none.
                  Interesting. so there isn't a massive Asian/oriental population that's under represented too then

Comment

Fwhat about Lawrence Fishburne and Eddie Griffin. They were black last time I looked. There are way more than five black actors. I think MJ was still black when he did Moonwalker too non?
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It took Otomo 10 years to draw it all and get it published. It looks like it took Hollywood 10 minutes to balls it up. Its all right there. Just film the Mangas cell for cell.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        Fwhat about Lawrence Fishburne and Eddie Griffin. They were black last time I looked. There are way more than five black actors. I think MJ was still black when he did Moonwalker too non?
                        That's a joke, right?

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 02-12-2011, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by captainflimflam View Post
                          Interesting. so there isn't a massive Asian/oriental population that's under represented too then
                          Well, apparently there're less than 5% asians in the U.S. so not so much. The percentages are a bit unreliable since there are so many people of "mixed race" heritage.

Comment

Yet again Hollywood will ruin a great film.

Comment

Just watched Akira on Blu-Ray and it still was a great movie although I felt that it dragged on a bit at the end.

"Tetsuooooo!" Booommm! *skyscraper collapses* "Kanedaaaa!" Booooom!! *bridge collapses* "TETSUOOOO!!!" BOOOOOM!! *everything collapses* you get the point.

Comment

Akira is very overblown, that's not to say that it's not good, it's just incredibly over the top and drawn out.

This is one area the American remake may improve it, I can't see them focusing on exetential stuff that 90% of viewers won't even begin to fathom anyway.They will also no doubt lose a lot of the artistry too though. And it will end up probably feeling like a very by the numbers sc-fi film.

Comment

Working...
                                X