Akira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    Fwhat about Lawrence Fishburne and Eddie Griffin. They were black last time I looked. There are way more than five black actors. I think MJ was still black when he did Moonwalker too non?
    Joe, this post is so mad that I can only assume you're being sarcastic? Anyway, myself and Guts were referring to A-listers. Fishburne was an A-lister but now his star has faded. Griffen, Tucker, Lawrence and Murphy are not A-listers and MJ made 1 film and is now dead so . . . . . .

*Edit*

Rmoxon, its that kind of attitude that prevents Hollywood from taking risks and treating its audience with respect. This is why films like Inception are so rare, films that expect the audience keep up with the intelligent plot. This is the same thing that Otomo did, barring the fact that he hadn't really finished the Manga when the Anime came out. Its this level of expertise needed and most fans are expecting it wont get, esp going along that bonkers synopsis that has leaked recently.
    Last edited by bash; 03-12-2011, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
      Rmoxon, its that kind of attitude that prevents Hollywood from taking risks and treating its audience with respect. This is why films like Inception are so rare, films that expect the audience keep up with the intelligent plot. This is the same thing that Otomo did, barring the fact that he hadn't really finished the Manga when the Anime came out. Its this level of expertise needed and most fans are expecting it wont get, esp going along that bonkers synopsis that has leaked recently.
      Inception is a lot more mainstream friendly than the anime of Akira though. We don't get films like inception very often due to lazy writers, not ones that have no guts

We can also blame studios all we want for not releasing thought provoking science fiction movies, but if you ask the majority of film goers what they want in a blockbuster it is guaranteed they want a big dumb sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean, or a new twilight, not that many people would say another film like Inception.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 03-12-2011, 12:40.

Comment

Its not lazy writers, they have their hearts torn to shreds by studios who make changes to suit what their view of audience acceptance will be. The sort of stupid decisions they make are what race to have certain characters should be or whether theres enough explosions in the bloody thing.

Comment

Joe, this post is so mad that I can only assume you're being sarcastic? Anyway, myself and Guts were referring to A-listers. Fishburne was an A-lister but now his star has faded. Griffen, Tucker, Lawrence and Murphy are not A-listers and MJ made 1 film and is now dead so . . . . . .
          I'm not even sure who are the "A-list" white actors anymore since many of the actors of my youth either aren't on A-list anymore or have semi-retired/retired. Which white actors are on Hollywood top spot at the moment besides Johnny Depp? Robert Pattinson or some other young "stars" like him? I'm getting old. Is Tom Cruise still "A-list"? Mel Gibson went insane so he's off the list for sure. How about Bruce Willis, does he star in films anymore?
          Last edited by Guts; 03-12-2011, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            Akira is very overblown, that's not to say that it's not good, it's just incredibly over the top and drawn out.
            That comes with trying to fit 2000+ pages of manga into two hours of animation. Anyone who hasn't read the manga and only watched the film should really START LISTENING TO ME and do so. Everything is explained there, and it's pretty easy to grasp what the kid Akira is truly about. Y'know, Akira is actually IN the manga, unlike the movie unless you count a load of phails with his tissue samples - hardly an appearance. In fact, I'm not sure how the movie is connected to the manga at all apart from a few of the characters and half of the setting.

The movie should never have been a contained movie to begin with, it should have been a series.

Originally posted by BeyondJumpFish View Post
            It took Otomo 10 years to draw it all and get it published. It looks like it took Hollywood 10 minutes to balls it up. Its all right there. Just film the Mangas cell for cell.
            I swear, if I had the time and patience I'd create a motion sweep over every single cell in Flash or Premiere Pro or something and ram it down people's eyes.

Comment

Comment

Been meaning to read the manga for years. Just keep forgetting about it, thanks to the resurrection of this thread. I have finally started!

Comment

I've just converted Book 1 ready for my Kindle, so I'm looking forward to reading the original manga.

I really need to put time aside to watch the recently released Blu-Ray too!

I actually saw Akira at the cinema! It was on at the Birmingham University independent cinema ages before Manga released it.

This means I saw it before any of you, thus making me ultra-cool!

Comment

They had all 6 (?) volumes of Akira in Borders a while back. I went to go and buy it but it was gone. Borders that is!

Comment

*cough*
                      Last edited by QualityChimp; 09-12-2011, 12:06.

Comment

Just read through the entire manga. Cracking stuff, the movie does cut out alot of material but what is there is important to the overall story and does make sense to the movie & manga.

Comment

I am thinking of selling my entire collection of 38 English colour Akira comics....does anyone know what they're worth?

Comment

If you're in London I'll give you ?2 for the lot, collect

Comment

If you're in London I'll give you ?2 for the lot, collect
                              Tempting, tempting

Comment

I've just read Sketcz' interview with the makers of the Amiga version of Akira!

Excellent ending!

Comment

Working...
                                X