Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror

Should have known that Brooker doing (semi) serious drama would result in great TV, but I'm still really surprised at how good this is. This is a three-part mini series with three separate stories that, in the words of the Channel 4 website, "taps into collective unease about our modern world".

Two episodes have aired so far with the last showing on Sunday (18th Dec). They are both good but the second in particular has one of the most striking and well-realised visions of the future I've seen in ages.

Well worth a watch!

3rd one is from one of the writers of Peep Show.

The 1st one was a little too weird to be funny for me but the 2nd one was fantastic, I couldn't understand how they weren't that trim from all that cycling though

Comment

I saw the second one of these, I really liked it, it's the first thing with Charlie Brooker's involvement I've ever seen. Only really know of him from The Guardian and Twitter but he seems like one of those lovable tools who speaks a lot of sense (i.e. Ricky Gervais). Obviously he dreamt that second episode up after a night of Xbox-ing and watching X Factor though

Comment

I'm a huge Brooker fan, even though he does smell of sellout these days. First episode was awesome I thought. Have yet to watch the second, although was shocked to see it was co-written by Konnie Huq! He's still to top Nathan Barley or indeed his bogus TV mag listings. The former was written by Chris Morris and part edited by Steve Merchant, so can't see much beating that.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I thought the first was great. The second was utter garbage though.

Comment

^Yeah, first was decent...if not as *hamaze* as it seemed to think it was...

Second was depressing, overly cynical, unbelievable, overlong, and - as its 'satire' wasn't funny at all - essentially bad sci-fi. Good acting from the main actor, though.

Brooker's writing is great (despite him now being a 'brand') and I like his 'wipe' shows a lot, his books are truly amusing, I just don't think the 'original' TV stuff he does is really that amazing, and there is this veneer of self-importance about it all, like he's the UK's leading critic on social ills, and if you don't share that view then you're one of the idiots.

Comment

Regarding the second episode, as the credits rolled I noticed Brooker's wife, Konnie Huq, was credited alongside his as the writer. Given her experience working on X-Factor, I can't help but wonder how far removed their vision of that future reality show is from reality. I dare say they may be much closer than we realise.

Comment

The one with the black guy on the britains got talent thing was pretty abysmal. Cliched, tired tale, poorly done.

Comment

As I mentioned in my earlier post, like Charles I was surprised to see Huq involved...but even more surprised her and Brooker are married. I had no idea, what a bloody bizarre match-up.

And yeah we are really only a couple of steps away from The Running Man in reality...bring on Smash TV I guess-anyone for a toaster and a VCR for murdering a tank mutant humanoid?
                  3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    The one with the black guy on the britains got talent thing was pretty abysmal. Cliched, tired tale, poorly done.
                    Well I thought it was excellent, the pacing was slow but the payoff was superb. Great acting by the lead, very understated, and the visuals were well realised too. Really good TV in my opinion!

Comment

Fair enough, though i'll stick with the Running Man.....or Logans Run.....or Soylent Green....or Equilibrium....or 1984......or THX1138....etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                        Well I thought it was excellent, the pacing was slow but the payoff was superb. Great acting by the lead, very understated, and the visuals were well realised too. Really good TV in my opinion!
                        what he said.
                        i much prefer Brooker when hes doing this sort of thing (thought dead set was great also), rather than that rubbish 10 o clock show

Comment

Just watched the first two and bloody hell were they heavy handed and painfully forced. First one was almost passable but the second was complete garbage.

Comment

Just seen a repeat of the first one (avec Pig). I liked the second one (Talent show) but this one was just vile and gratuitous.

Seriously the worst thing I ever seen on TV. Maybe I just got the point of the second one and didn't with the first but yeah... Blergh!

Comment

Enjoyed the second one even if it was cliched. The first one was rubbish though, could have been done in 15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X