No announcement yet.

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent watched the 1st or 2nd, but just seen the 3rd.
    Bloody hell, this is a scarily possible future I've just seen. I can see where he's going with it based on our current usages of the internet & the way we seem to record our life, & the paranoia/truth it could bring.
    Kinda hit close to the bone with me too, with that feeling that you know when somethings wrong from the signs you see.

Will have to check the other 2 on 4oD

Comment

Yeah, I enjoyed it too Eddie. You could tell one of the writers of Peep Show wrote it with all the first person shots. That sort of technology would indeed drive you mental as you'd have the ability to over-analyse everything. Logical extension of the current 'take a photo of everything I do on my smartphone and put it on facebook' trend.

I would say it was the best of the three, second one second and first last IMO

Comment

Just watched the third and have to say it was the best by far (though still pretty depressing). Like Stu says, the Peep Show connection seems to work as this felt much more intimate and believable than the Brooker-penned episodes, it was much easier to relate to and therefore more powerful as a result. It reminded me a bit of when Facebook went huge four or five years back, everyone was raving about/in thrall to it...and now it's become a bit of a monster and many of the people I know who used it a lot hate it either due to over-dependency or unwitting grief they have gotten into.

It's hard to 'enjoy' something like this but it was very good telly, and it'd be nice to see C4 continue the theme in the future

Comment

Frankly I'm not surprised she cheated on him, he was a right twat
          I thoroughly enjoyed all three.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            Just watched the third and have to say it was the best by far (though still pretty depressing). Like Stu says, the Peep Show connection seems to work as this felt much more intimate and believable than the Brooker-penned episodes, it was much easier to relate to and therefore more powerful as a result. It reminded me a bit of when Facebook went huge four or five years back, everyone was raving about/in thrall to it...and now it's become a bit of a monster and many of the people I know who used it a lot hate it either due to over-dependency or unwitting grief they have gotten into.

It's hard to 'enjoy' something like this but it was very good telly, and it'd be nice to see C4 continue the theme in the future
            You should hear the amount of times peole say to me "Oh just messge me on Facebook." but I then tell them that I'm trying to clamp down on it (especially since everyone updates their train of thought as comments on it now). The owners should allow you to apply filters so you don't have to read women's magazine story style updates.

Overly dependent isn't the word tbh. Why use this stop-start message system when I can call you instantly from my phone and talk to you? Y'know, like peoplen have for roughly 100 years and it works really well?

Little gaem: replace one letter in the word Facebook and make a rude word

Comment

New series starts Monday 11th Feb. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Anyone watch it?
                I recorded it and have not yet myself but I thought people would be talking about it here.

Also heard that the rights for The Entire History of You (3rd ep of series one) have been bought to be made into a film.

Jesse Armstrong wrote the original episode and has been hired to craft the film adaptation, which will borrow the tech angle for a story about a man who reconstructs his relationship with his dead wife from her point of view and stumbles into a huge conspiracy.

Comment

I really enjoyed it.

Also helps that Hayley Atwell is hot as hell.

Comment

It was okay. Just okay. I like the near future stuff, I like the way Brooker's trying to do a sort of futuristic Twilight Zone, but for some reason it doesn't click for me. I find the messages regarding our use of technology and the possible direction of society heavy-handed and frankly OTT. It's like he's trying to be HG Wells.

Comment

^Yeah, I agree, to quite a massive extent, they weren't BAD, they just seem to be screaming "Look at me!!! This is IMPORTANT satire here, folks!", I found the non-Brooker one the best by far. The PM one was flawed because anyone knows they probably shag pigs down the annals of No. 10 anyway, and the Big Brother-style one was *seriously* heavy-handed. Still, didn't know they did a second series, will at least give it a try and see what I think.

Comment

Yeah I was talking about the first episode of the second series, which aired last night. I only caught one of the ones in the first (about a guy who had to ride an exercise bike all day in some sort of anodyne compound, in order to generate electricity), and it was, again, just okay.

It feels like he's got a lot more budget for this second series.

Comment

Never seen the show before, caught it for the first time last night after Miss Atwell plugged it on Wossy.
                          I enjoyed it- thought it was good, BUT did anyone else notice how this show was MASSIVELY similar to 2010 film 'Womb' ('Clone' in the UK) which starred another appealing brunette Eva Green?

SPOILERS-

Both 'Be Right Back' (BM) and 'Clone' follow a couple set in a rural area in a future that basically looks like the present day, then the husband/bf dies, then the gf/wife clones her deceased loved one, eventually has sex with it, before one of them realises the relationship is not really what they want.

OK, there's one significant difference- in 'Clone' Eva Green's character gives birth to and rears a clone of her deceased lover whilst Atwell's clone in BM came fully grown and ready to assemble, thus negating the whole pseudo incest thing. But 'Be Right Back' did seem very similar to 'Clone' to me, to the point that it made me wonder if Brooker had seen 'Clone' and thought to himself- 'great idea, **** execution, maybe I can do better'.
                          Last edited by DANGEROUS-3; 12-02-2013, 17:23.

Comment

Do you want to spoiler either of those plot descriptions before I read them?

Comment

Sorry, I assumed no one would read the thread before watching the show thus to avoid spoilers.

Comment

I really enjoyed it, I don't know if it would have been slightly better if it ended

at the cliff scene though

. I disagree that the use of technology is heavy-handed. Indeed it's very plausible and really just an extrapolation of what people already do in most cases (except the
                                bit last night obviously)

Originally posted by DANGEROUS-3 View Post
                                I enjoyed it- thought it was good, BUT did anyone else notice how this show was MASSIVELY similar to 2010 film 'Womb' ('Clone' in the UK) which starred another appealing brunette Eva Green?
                                Noone has ever heard of that film, so no

Comment

Working...
                                X