No announcement yet.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could easily imagine it matching or even taking Crystal Skulls title as the most successful entry in the franchise. Skulls legacy is quite an easy one to dismiss because the film hasn't had the staying power that the previous entries have but it being of a weaker standard is something I can't imagine being too hard to overcome.

With Indy 5 you basically have Harrison Ford returning in what is expected to be his final appearance in one of his most iconic roles. The film will also be a revival of an old school style entry which comes off the back of a poorly remembered but at the same time hugely successful previous attempt that fans complain about but audiences at the time happily stumped up for and younger fans keenly accepted on its own merits.

In other words Indiana Jones 5 is to the franchise what Force Awakens was to the Prequel Trilogy... or even Jurassic World to Jurassic Park III. The template to make the film work is there and it's also now in the hands of the company best versed in nailing that formula.

If Indiana Jones 5 is poor I'd be surprised if it's so by repeating the mistakes of Crystal Skull. I'm also not concerned one jot by Ford's age which seems to come up online a lot just like in Skull. In Skull the issue wasn't his age, more the directing and editing. Nearly a decade later he's been fine in Force Awakens and Blade Runner 2049 so I can't imagine Indy 5 will be a stretch. I'm more mindful of Disney's plans for Indiana Jones VI beyond Ford's tenure given they've made clear their intention is to continue in-canon beyond the next film meaning recasting is on their minds.

Maybe easier just to have a flashback or two in Indy 5 with the new actor set in the 1910's or something then have Ford facing Neo-Nazi's in the 60's or something

Comment

The main reason I wouldn't quite buy that is that, in spite of the prequels, Star Wars remained very relevant and present for that 10 years between the last prequel and The Force Awakens. It was well known even to young kids through Rebels, Lego Star Wars and so on. It was well known to the older kids through the prequels and well known to anyone over that through the classics. It never dropped off the radar.

Indy dropped off the radar. Our generation has an attachment to the character but I'm not convinced any other generation does. Oh and that reveals a point in itself - Indy is a character. Star Wars is a universe. Many more fans can love Star Wars for a whole bunch of different reasons, loving different aspects or characters or visuals or games or whatever. Few will go to see Indy for anything other than Ford as Indy.

Comment

True, though the same could apply to Crystal Skull as that came out 19 years after Last Crusade. Though it's less relevant to younger audiences than Star Wars it's in the good fortune of being part of the pop culture bubble meaning most are at least familiar enough to get caught up in the hype. When you think that the weak Indy made $786m after a 19 year absence, with the weight of Disney's marketing machine behind it I could easily see that being repeated (though I do think the $1bn mega hit status we've seen recently from SW and JP is out the question)

Comment

I think that 19 year absence was the perfect time period for kids who grew up with Indy to become their own paying customers and bring their kids. It was somewhat squandered although, yeah, some kids will have seen it and enjoyed it but the lack of follow through and absence of Indy in any form other than Lego briefly didn't give it the footprint it needed. As you say, Crystal Skull was pretty much forgotten about. Jurassic Park again had much more staying power and remained more relevant. So it's now 29 years since the last decent Indy film and I don't think that interval will work out as well for them. They'll have one heck of a marketing job to get a movie about a 75 year old man playing an absent character with no wider universe to appeal to younger people. They'll no doubt pump a lot of money into it and pull in the oldies like us but I don't see The Force Awakens or Jurassic Park being accurate comparisons.

Comment

That's where all those Chris Pratt as Young Indy meme's come in lol

Comment

That would do it.

Comment

I understood that Spielberg doesn't want to recast Indy, saying that the role is Ford's forever. The nostalgia in me says that this is the right decision, coming from a company that seemingly prides itself on bad ideas. Hopefully this remains the case but it puts Lucasfilm in a position of being a one film franchise company. All they'll make are Star Wars films, and I don't think Disney will agree it was worth the price tag for ILM and Skywalker Sound alone.

The realist in me however knows that Disney are going to inevitably make that bad decision and carry on.

Comment

Appearing at the Empire Awards last night, director Steven Spielberg confirmed that Lucasfilm’s fifth “Indiana Jones” movie will begin shooting in the United Kingdom in April next year. That would match with the July 20th 2020 release date that the project set a while back. The film sees Spielberg teaming up with Harrison Ford, who […]

Spielberg confirms a UK filming date of April 2019 for Indy 5, the article pointing out the reminder that this isn't even potentially the last one for Ford.

Comment

“Ready Player One” director Steven Spielberg is still out doing press for “Ready Player One” and will take a breather before prepping his next film – the fifth chapter in the “Indiana Jones” franchise. Speaking with The Sun, he confirmed one expected fact – this will be Harrison Ford’s last time slipping on the iconic […]

Steven Spielberg has confirmed that Indiana Jones will continue on to a sixth adventure and beyond, though Harrison Ford won't. Indy 5 will be his swan song in the iconic role aiming to finish on a high.

Comment

The best idea i heard was a flashback series of movies where he would reminisce on past adventures, where a (Chris Pratt) or who ever would then take on the younger Jones.

Otherwise i would just let the franchise end with this movie but TBH it should have ended with Last Crusade.

Comment

Isn’t Chris Pratt older than Ford was? But yeah, for me I think it should just end. Not everything needs to go forever and not every character should be replaceable.

Comment

But think about the poor executives at the studio, they need to make ends meet as they live on the breadline.

Comment

If they cast younger they need someone who carries that Fordism that's intrinsic to the character and likeable though he is I don't feel like Pratt embodies that. They need someone who reeks of Ford which is quite a mission going by the Solo trailer that seems to suggest a swing and a miss on that casting attempt.

Comment

Word is Indy 5 is facing a delay from its 2020 release date

Comment

Ford's hip replacement?

Comment

Working...
                                X