Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridge Racer (vita)

Couldn't see a thread for this.

I just bought it on recommendation of a few people on here despite a lot of reviews trying to convince me otherwise. I have to say that I'm not disappointed with the game, though I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what I have bought.

Is there an actual proper single player competent here? I really don't know, doesn't seem to be with single race (which the announcer refer s too as training) and a time trial about the only things you can do solo. The menus are confusing and nothing is really explained to the player though so maybe I have missed somthing. From what I can see there are far more multiplayer options though so I can only presume that the online is where the meat of this lies.

Other than that it's just Ridge Racer, it's the same game that's been released on every console known to man since the launch of the PSP. Horrible menus that are confusing to navigate and lack of content aside once you play the game it is as fun as it has ever been.

I just hope they release DLC that is more single player focused sometimes soon.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I think that's all there is. I'm starting to think I should have stuck with Ridge 7.

Comment

all the above has been well documented since import release, so doesnt really come as a surprise......

a big disapointment for ridge fans, hence the lack of hype and discussion

good for someone who hasnt played RR7 though

Comment

It's not a big disappointment at all. It's almost exactly the same as the past five or so games in the series. Infact this is the only one out of those games that actually offers anything new.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
          It's not a big disappointment at all. It's almost exactly the same as the past five or so games in the series. Infact this is the only one out of those games that actually offers anything new.
          Except the fact that there is no single player career mode in this. Considering that lasted me probabaly over 100 hours in the other games it means this is a bit lacking.

In fact its very lacking, theres no structure to the game at all, all you have is single race mode for 4 tracks. Its the equivilant of the Latest fighting game having only a Vs mode.

I dont play many games online, and I never really play racing games online at all becuase I hate the fact that you spend more time in lobbies than playing, which means this has zero content for me really, which IS a MASSIVE disapointment.

Like I said though the actual gameplay isnt disapointing, its just a shame there is virtually none of it.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 24-02-2012, 19:01.

Comment

Agreed. Now I know that everything I do earns credits for me which makes my car better which means I stand a better chance of winning online it's great.

Loving my "Spotlight VIP" trophy yesterday. Quality.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
              Except the fact that there is no single player career mode in this. Considering that lasted me probabaly over 100 hours in the other games it means this is a bit lacking.

In fact its very lacking, theres no structure to the game at all, all you have is single race mode for 4 tracks. Its the equivilant of the Latest fighting game having only a Vs mode.

I dont play many games online, and I never really play racing games online at all becuase I hate the fact that you spend more time in lobbies than playing, which means this has zero content for me really, which IS a MASSIVE disapointment.
              Then it seems you are missing the point of it entirely. It's an online versus racer. TBH I've never heard of another game that could call itself that.

Now I'm a huge Ridge Racer fan, but the current career mode is tired. It's just the same races over and over again. Personally I find racing against human opponents way more entertaining than against the easily beaten A.I. Once May is here and we have ALL of the DLC then it'll be even better than it currently is.
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 24-02-2012, 19:10.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Then it seems you are missing the point of it entirely. It's an online versus racer. TBH I've never heard of another game that could call itself that.

Now I'm a huge Ridge Racer fan, but the current career mode is tired. It's just the same races over and over again. Personally I find racing against human opponents way more entertaining than against the Once May is here and we have ALL of the DLC then it'll be even better than it currently is.
                Since when was the Ridge racer series about online vs racing?

It may have started out as a game with one track, but it was originally a single player arcade cabinate and since then has become one of the best racing series ever made and that is largley due to its wealth of single player options, the world tour mode in recent games has be huge.

This game is called Ridge Racer, so I expect a title that does what the rest of the series does, but this lacks the content of recent games in the series.

In fact even if this was called ridge racer online it would still be lacking to be honest, theres just nothing there, a couple more tracks and a couple more cars wont change that fact either.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                  Since when was the Ridge racer series about online vs racing?
                  Since now.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Since now.
                    Then someone should have told me so I didnt waste ?20 on it.

Even if I liked playing online I doubt this would have kept my interest long though, theres just not much here.

Its even stranger when you consider that the game has so little content and gives you such a tiny ammount of credits for even winning a race (at leats in single player), I had won on every track twice and only gained two upgrades. I dont really want to wait in a lobby for ten minutes then lose in a 5 minute race and then repeat the process. So now I have nothing left to do with the game.

Comment

so you think this new 'online ridge' isnt a disapointment compared to what could have been vita ridge racer 8 with 10 new tracks, 30 new music tracks, new presentation, new cars and 60fps? AND all the 'new' online stuff?
                      Last edited by dvdx2; 24-02-2012, 19:33.

Comment

If you'd bought ridge racer 7 again would you be happy? You'd have to plow through say 40hrs of single player before you reached anything that's actually a challenge? Cause it's not like the game is really going to change, so you'd already be very good at it from the start. I'd love to have a ridge racer that had all the single player stuff and was like starting from scratch, but having played the 3ds version it just all felt a bit pointless as it was just the same again, at least this does something new.

Also, someone should have told you? Really? You've got internet access, and it's not like it's a well kept secret go look at any review/post/forum post about it and it's pretty clear what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          so you think this new 'online ridge' isnt a disapointment compared to what could have been vita ridge racer 8 with 10 new tracks, 30 new music tracks, new presentation, new cars and 60fps?
                          Exactly, i think some people are kidding themselfs here. It had the potential to be alot more than it is, which by definition means its a disapointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyduck View Post
                            If you'd bought ridge racer 7 again would you be happy? You'd have to plow through say 40hrs of single player before you reached anything that's actually a challenge? Cause it's not like the game is really going to change, so you'd already be very good at it from the start. I'd love to have a ridge racer that had all the single player stuff and was like starting from scratch, but having played the 3ds version it just all felt a bit pointless as it was just the same again, at least this does something new.

Also, someone should have told you? Really? You've got internet access, and it's not like it's a well kept secret go look at any review/post/forum post about it and it's pretty clear what it is.
                            Actually i read several reviews online and impressions on here and i never saw anywhere that said it was COMPLETELY lacking a single player component, so yeah, someone should have told me.

And actually i did buy ridge Racer 7 twice, becuase I didnt have a PS3 for a while at one bit, and I loved it both times. I want more of the same, i loved Ridge Racers, i loved Ridge Racers 2, i loved RIdge Racer 6 and I loved Ridge Racer 7, I loved the 3DS game, I just wanted more of that except with a few new tracks and better graphics, I want Ridge Racer!!!

Ok I agree about the grind before it gets really good, its not needed anymore, but still, its alot better than nothing.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 24-02-2012, 19:39.

Comment

I have a code that will get you ?8 off the digital copy of ridge racer if anyone wants it. I've got the retail copy so don't need it. First one to drop me a pm can have it. Bon voyage.

Comment

Working...
                              X