Game & Gamestation: GAME credit woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSW View Post
    DA:Origins for a fiver, Mass Effect for a quid, Dead Space for 3 quid, Crysis + warhead + warfare for a fiver and MW3 for ?19.99. Those were all excellent recent deals in my local Game store. It was still a horrible place to go into though.

Just after xmas the high street in Cheltenham was dead. Even on a saturday. Game though, had people queuing round the isles. They looked recession-proof!
    Wow, my local GAME had all their ?4.99 games up to ?7.99 or ?9.99 and shoved in the 3 for 2 section!

Add to that, the only new titles available were the chart ones, everything else seemed to have disappeared from the shelves.

Comment

At what cost though FSW? These were crazy low prices, did they make any money on them or were they hoping people would buy newer, more expensive pre owned titles?

Comment

Well, that I can't answer. I'm not suggesting it's easy to run a business like Game. Even as I saw those price my heart went out to the girl that owns and runs our local indie game shop. I don't think she was in a position to be able to compete at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
          Wow, my local GAME had all their ?4.99 games up to ?7.99 or ?9.99 and shoved in the 3 for 2 section!

Add to that, the only new titles available were the chart ones, everything else seemed to have disappeared from the shelves.
          Both my Game & Gamestation only stock new chart titles now anything older than that is only in the pre-owned section & in some cases I've never once seen some titles on the shelves...

Ultimate MvsC
          KoF XIII
          Arcana Heart
          Bleach
          Naruto
          DBZ

All srping to mind straight away...granted they are kind of niche but I'd have bought them if they were there as none of them are particularly cheaper online at the moment.

This is what kills them to me...I want to buy new not chaved up, stinky, wrecked 2nd hand titles

Neil

Comment

Absolutely bud, I have no idea myself but it does make me wonder if they took a hit on a lot of the titles they had at low prices. It was perhaps the best instore gaming sale I have seen in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
              Both my Game & Gamestation only stock new chart titles now anything older than that is only in the pre-owned section & in some cases I've never once seen some titles on the shelves...

Ultimate MvsC
              KoF XIII
              Arcana Heart
              Bleach
              Naruto
              DBZ

All srping to mind straight away...granted they are kind of niche but I'd have bought them if they were there as none of them are particularly cheaper online at the moment.

This is what kills them to me...I want to buy new not chaved up, stinky, wrecked 2nd hand titles

Neil
              On the day Resident Evil Revalations came out none of the stores in my area had it up for sale. It still said coming soon on the box. They are only interested in the biggest cash cows. Yes it is a business but you drive away core gamers that way.

Comment

EBGames here do have a decent selection of new games, but still go with the unseal, violated game case on the shelf and the disc in the draw behind the counter nonsense. I went in there in August to get EDF and declined an unsealed copy.

However, I'm pretty sure they took their new copies of Red Alert 3 for the PS3 priced at $69.99, opened them and put them back as pre-owned for $7.99, which I took full advantage of of course. I don't know if that's actually what happened.

Comment

Amazingly I still mostly shop at an independent one of a dying breed also an importers and retro shop (in the shop) even has a cab in the store

Comment

Poor game, they only made ?23 million before tax last year!

Through our ConnectedContent™ approach, we unite communications, digital experiences, and performance marketing to help more than 1600 global companies.

Quite an interesting read here, you can see that GAME are expecting a new wave of consoles in the next 18 months or so.
                    You can see they are also very proud of reducing their operating costs by ?13.7million, that'll be all the store closures.

Comment

I can't image GAME were closing stores that were making a profit.

Comment

There's still two GAMEs here less than 200m apart, so their store closure programme still has some life left in it.

Comment

I used to love Grainger Games, but I'd say that even their stock is over-priced now. Certainly compared to what it used to be. I used to be able to get 360 stuff extremely cheap - even new stuff was given a healthy discount - but as they've expanded their prices have gone up. They don't seem to recognise (or respect) what made them so appealing in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                            They've only themselves to blame for this state. Their ridiculous pricing coupled with pre-owned state games sold as new never did them any favors.

I only ever buy from their stores now during sales (their most recent one has been uncharacteristically good, so they may need to look into making those far more regular an occurrence in order to tempt business) or when I have gift cards.

Pretty much all my games buying is done online now, from amazon and play. Since this recent news of jersey based tax shenanigans however, GAME could use this as an opportunity to match their store prices with their online prices as they're mainland based and thus not fall under the same restrictions as the two aforementioned companies.

Of course, history teaches us that the bigwigs at GAME group are just as blind and greedy as corporate bankers and they don't believe that they have to set their sights lower now that people are spending less. By the time they learn this very tough lesson though, it'll be too late for them.
                            My thoughts exactly, the only down side is more poor saps on the scrap heap.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              I used to love Grainger Games, but I'd say that even their stock is over-priced now. Certainly compared to what it used to be. I used to be able to get 360 stuff extremely cheap - even new stuff was given a healthy discount - but as they've expanded their prices have gone up. They don't seem to recognise (or respect) what made them so appealing in the first place.
                              Next time we are out I'll give you the address of an ace shop that's close enough pisses on Grainger

Comment

After initially thinking GAME were well and truly screwed, after speaking to certain people in the know, apparently the situation is not as bad as some websites are making it out to be.

Yes, GAME are in some trouble, but I wouldn't expect them to close down in the next week or so. As the MCV story states, just don't expect them to have loads of stock for new releases for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X