No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, i'll keep checking and hope the site comes back up. Even searching japanese sites is coming up with very little, i know when i was serching for famicom & super famicom scans it was a challenge but this is crazy.

Comment

Seems you can still get on there with Archive.org, here's your enormous Magical Hat: https://web.archive.org/web/20171103...rbo!_Daibouken

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        I have just put sonic 2 back on and listened closely. As soon as you touch a ring the sound is pretty much instant,
        That's good to know. Sorry for doubting you M2.

I'm thinking that people reporting issues are using their LCD televisions with all sorts of image options turned on, so it's creating lots of lag. I turn off all the so-called image enhancements on my television that process the image.

The only major problem is the scanlines not looking good. I guess I could plug the MD Mini into my Framemeister and add nice scanlines that way.

I know i'm jumping ahead but i want to be prepared hehe. If i can't find anything i may have to start buying originals and scanning them myself and then selling them on.
        Send me copies of all your scans.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I'm thinking that people reporting issues are using their LCD televisions with all sorts of image options turned on, so it's creating lots of lag. I turn off all the so-called image enhancements on my television that process the image.
          I don't think that's the crux of the issue, although modern TVs can increase input lag and that may exacerbate the lag. The more in-depth or detailed investigations have shown there is a 3-7 frame delay even when plugging original and new Mini hardware into the same CRT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_mDhY4-3w). This feels similar to previous detailed investigation of input lag on similar emulation/SoC boards.

These mini's do exhibit more input lag than the original hardware.
          Last edited by Digfox; 25-09-2019, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
            Well, people were reporting stuff like "When you hit a ring in Sonic, the sound effect is delayed." Importaku has reported that he hasn't noticed this problem, so maybe it's not as severe as some people are making it out to be.

Input lag is definitely something to be expected, but there shouldn't be a noticeable delay with sound effects. It would be crazy if Sega/M2 would release the machine with that sort of issue, so I hope Importaku is correct.

Comment

I don't think that's the crux of the issue, although modern TVs can increase input lag and that may exacerbate the lag. The more in-depth or detailed investigations have shown there is a 3-7 frame delay even when plugging original and new Mini hardware into the same CRT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_mDhY4-3w). This feels similar to previous detailed investigation of input lag on similar emulation/SoC boards.

They might do but when actually playing it's pretty much a non issue i have yet to notice any at all not saying it's not there at all but not at a level that i'm starting to notice. Sonic feels just like he's always done. I'm playing via a plasma and it's not state of the art it's 10+ years old and i don't even have game mode activated.

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
              Seems you can still get on there with Archive.org, here's your enormous Magical Hat: https://web.archive.org/web/20171103...rbo!_Daibouken
              You're a total star, thankyou. While some of the scan spines are faded they are ok enough that i can restore the colours as they don't need to be super large as when on the console they are pretty small. Managed to get all the games i wanted to add plus a few more on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                Well, people were reporting stuff like "When you hit a ring in Sonic, the sound effect is delayed." Importaku has reported that he hasn't noticed this problem, so maybe it's not as severe as some people are making it out to be.

Input lag is definitely something to be expected, but there shouldn't be a noticeable delay with sound effects. It would be crazy if Sega/M2 would release the machine with that sort of issue, so I hope Importaku is correct.
                The audio delay has been measured at 4 frames as per the video linked earlier. Unlike the input lag there isn't a variance but I believe this is to be expected. I was merely picking up on the fact that input (and audio) lag exists on the MD Mini like other similar products. It's not just the possibility of modern TV's being the main issue.

They might do but when actually playing it's pretty much a non issue i have yet to notice any at all not saying it's not there at all but not at a level that i'm starting to notice. Sonic feels just like he's always done. I'm playing via a plasma and it's not state of the art it's 10+ years old and i don't even have game mode activated.
                Indeed, but it's obviously subjective and therefore some will notice it more than others, or not notice it at all. I personally played on Retropie via a RPi3B+ earlier today and whilst I may notice lag sometimes it isn't something that puts me off these things. In fact it can be other issues that are more prominent.
                Last edited by Digfox; 25-09-2019, 21:21.

Comment

While it's not perfect it's pretty close to nintendos efforts both in going to the effort of getting a solid game selection on there with some very high priced titles been included but also trying hard to make it look and play fantastic.

Sega gets full marks from me.

One thing i really wish sega had done is make a power connector in the megacd expansion port that connected power to the mega cd and illuminated the power and access lights on it when doocked with the megadrive they could have easilly done it but it looks like i might have to do that mod if i can figure out an invisible way to do it. Also depends if light can pass through the power and access panels on the front of the megacd it looks like they might do but i havent opened mine to see if it's translucent or solid on the indicator panels.
                  Last edited by importaku; 25-09-2019, 22:24.

Comment

The audio delay has been measured at 4 frames as per the video linked earlier.
                    If that means it's not really a case of "Collect a ring, then the sound effect plays a moment later" I wouldn't see it as an issue. It's only when a video or audio problem is obvious that I see it as a problem.

If using a SNES Mini or Raspberry Pi 3 also has around a 4 frame audio delay, then I certainly don't notice it. I tested Sonic on my Pi 3B yesterday and everything ran as expected, so I didn't notice any delay in audio. I'm sure there is a bit of lag, but I personally can't discern it. Hopefully I'll feel the same about the MD Mini when I get my hands on one.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry too much Leon, I doubt you’ll notice any on the mini.

Comment

Got mine and as expected the lag is a complete non-issue . The games play and sound almost every bit as good as I remember them.

Such a shame most of the popular Tubers talk such crap and actually know little of what they're talking about (bar Game Shack, LGR, My Life, Retrocore, Randomised) All this sheer and utter nonsense over a tiny amount lag and so many Tubers jumping on the bandwagon with 'Look at Me, I'm so wonderful and technical I can spot lag'. Rather than cover the unit for what it is and the wonderful and what a great job SEGA as done

The biggest issue is one that's hardly covered and the rather poor CRT filter

Comment

To be fair, the unit has had pretty much unanimous praise in the mainstream gaming press.

Comment

The problem is the negatives end up been focused on more, the only 2 things I can find fault with is that abysmal scanline filter although Leon’s suggestion of routing it through the framemeister is genius I never thought of doing that i’ll Have a play this weekend and see how it looks and wether it affects the lag. The other issue but a minor one is there’s pixel shimmer when things are scrolling but to be fair the famicom mini has the same issue unless you turned on pixel perfect mode. Would have been nice to have a few more display options. But that’s it, I have zero complaints on anything else. Sega has done a really nice job to get all of those game on there as to buy originals you are looking at well over a grand for the carts and they released this at a decent price, makes me sad that some people on YouTube want to try and crap on it just for pathetic revenue and outrage clicks.

Mine sits proudly next to my fami & super fami, the PlayStation sits in the corner to think about what Sony did to the poor thing. Least hacking redeemed that one 100%. Hoping hackers can iron out the few flaws in the md as once it has a decent scanline filter and tailored game list it’s gonna be a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Such a shame most of the popular Tubers talk such crap and actually know little of what they're talking about (bar Game Shack, LGR, My Life, Retrocore, Randomised) All this sheer and utter nonsense over a tiny amount lag and so many Tubers jumping on the bandwagon with 'Look at Me, I'm so wonderful and technical I can spot lag'. Rather than cover the unit for what it is and the wonderful and what a great job SEGA as done.
                              I know what you're saying but there's a risk of generalisation and in reality not reflective of the better YT channels that have covered the MD/Genesis Mini. A number not mentioned have covered this thing in much more detail than other traditional media.

I think in general people have been really positive about Sega/M2's efforts and feel it's a good product.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                The biggest issue is one that's hardly covered and the rather poor CRT filter
                                This is irritating but true. The poor filter options are much more serious than some minor unnoticeable audio lag. And very few are raising the issue. I've never been one for audio - I still listen to magnetic tapes on a 30 year old walkman. Lag means nothing to me.

Regarding covers, that annoyed me with Hakchi and the SNES mini, having to manually find a cover for each game - even with the Google search built in. It would pull a lot of wrong covers.

What are the chances the creators of whatever program hacks the MD Mini, include thumbnails for ever known MD and Genesis game? Given how the cover is stored, as one giant image file (according to Reddit), to save everyone headaches couldn't they grab a cover for every game from various sites hosting them, and incorporate these into the program itself? Or make a single separate download containing all covers? I mean, compressed thumbnails or PNG files are not going to be massive. 50mb tops?

Basically I'd like to download one batch of covers and spines, and then as I install games the prog will recognise them and automatically pull the correct cover to create the giant image file needed.

This is how the MD Mini stores the covers, all together, one giant file. Meaning the prog which hacks it will presumably need to pull new covers for new games, and create an all-new single image file, with pointers so the OS can find and load them.

Comment

Working...
                                X