Retro Arena: 8-bit computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    It cost around $1400 at launch, so way more expensive than all the other 8-bit micros.
    Yeah, I have no idea exactly what he paid for ours but I can guarantee you we didn't have it to spare. Still, it was a pretty cool computer back in the day.

Comment

I've always thought Exile is brilliant. Thrust is also best on the BBC.
      That game was amazing, spent far too much time playing that in school LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        That game was amazing, spent far too much time playing that in school LOL
        Guess you ain't learn no learnings, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Yeah, I have no idea exactly what he paid for ours but I can guarantee you we didn't have it to spare. Still, it was a pretty cool computer back in the day.
          Hang on, am I your dad?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Hang on, am I your dad?
            You can be if you like. We can throw a ball together, go for walks in the park and you can teach me how to put up a shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              Guess you ain't learn no learnings, huh?
              Yep LOL. Used to play Thrust, Mr Doo and Rev's on the schools BBC's Micros and Pacmania on the Acorn Archimedes.
              Fab days

Comment

Still, it was a pretty cool computer back in the day.
                I guess you had to buy games from Apple stores?

I've read a lot about American programmers learning to code on the Apple II and how significant the machine was in the US. Prince of Persia, for example, was developed for the Apple II.

Was your dad's next computer the Sharp X68000?

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Yep LOL. Used to play Thrust, Mr Doo and Rev's on the schools BBC's Micros and Pacmania on the Acorn Archimedes.
                Fab days
                Best school, ever!

If the band 'The Shamen' made games.

Comment

Some of the best 8-bit racers...

This uses the hi-res 4 colour mode really well.

A cleverly designed version of Power Drift

A truly brilliant port of the hit coin-op.

Really fast with silky smooth gameplay.

A bit clunky but still really impressive.

An absolutely amazing port that's probably the best Speccy racer.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-11-2019, 17:12.

Comment

I guess you had to buy games from Apple stores?

I've read a lot about American programmers learning to code on the Apple II and how significant the machine was in the US. Prince of Persia, for example, was developed for the Apple II.

Was your dad's next computer the Sharp X68000?
                    There was at least one local shop that did Apple games so we can't have been the only people around who had one. I loved the old Sierra On-Line adventures back then.

Our next computer was the Macintosh Plus, which may not have been quite as pricey as the Sharp but probably not a million miles off!

Edit: Oh and just as an extra to the part about my dad being terrible with money, when we got the Mac Plus we could barely afford clothes and my jumper sleeves finished at my elbows but he had some idea that he was going to get into desktop publishing. Yep.
                    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 12-11-2019, 17:18.

Comment

There was at least one local shop that did Apple games so we can't have been the only people around who had one.
                      The widespread love of Apple products had to start somewhere. I think it was all very niche in the UK until the '90s.

Our next computer was the Macintosh Plus, which may not have been quite as pricey as the Sharp but probably not a million miles off!
                      Launch price: $2600

Another hugely popular machine in the US. It's always amazed me how expensive Apple products are.

Comment

My main memory of the 8 bit Ataris were that they took years to load a tape. 999 on the counter loop resetting. I had a 130XE, and I think an 800 too. It had a Star Raiders cartridge.
                        The 600 series had a lovely keyboard.

To be honest, I don't rate the atari 8 bits much. Only one I like is the 7800. Britain is the land of the home micros
                        Lots of weird and wonderful machines years ago, the Dragon's 32 and 64 as well as the Oric's and also the Lynx Camputer (that's not a spelling mistake).

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                          The 600 series had a lovely keyboard.

Lots of weird and wonderful machines years ago, the Dragon's 32 and 64 as well as the Oric's and also the Lynx Camputer (that's not a spelling mistake).
                          I had a couple of dragons and an oric 1

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                            the Oric's

Quite a cool looking little computer. Looks like the Oric computers were created to compete with/beat the Spectrum.

Comment

The Atmos was a nice looking thing, but they were a bit gash really.

Comment

I love it when computers use colours like that, it looks so cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X