No announcement yet.

The importance of a good setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say not much but then I've had so many debates with my GF about keeping the better TV for the games

Comment

PS3 (hdmi) and wii (component) go to my 24" 3D. I have the 26" LCD for the sake of RCA if I want to plug in an N64/etc.

Comment

Currently just outdated 40" LCD and (wait for it...):

Wii (Component)

BUT by the end of the year my little AV family will have hopefully grown to:

SNES (Whatever is the best setup for that and my TV [hence the link above? Advice please?]
        Wii U (HDMI)

Also may pick up the following:

White PS3 (HDMI) [To match the White Sony TV obviously Bioshock Infinite + Ni No Kuni may be factors too...]

A wall mount for my TV so I can put a some kind of speaker arrangement on the AV cabinet... These maybe? http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_ima...speakers_3.jpg I dunno, I like White and Yellow and Retro-looking I don't really bother with things like sound quality, 2.1 vs. 5.1 Surround or anything speakers are actually there to do... :/
        Last edited by Pikate; 12-04-2012, 15:17.

Comment

if you are anyway interested in audio quality for your games and are not using an amp/decent set of speakers, you are missing out big time.

also there is a massive leap from dolby digital 2.0/5.1 to uncompressed audio up to 7.1 channels via HDMI (which the ps3 can decode). Big, big failing with the 360.

Video wise all the current gen through HDMI - there is no comparison for quality

if your happy with your TV speakers, thats cool. But its hard to go back.

Comment

Hardware setup is all important to me, always has been. I have Sony's flagship 65" 3D turbo nutter bastard TV in my lounge, coupled with a 7.1 surround sound system. ?200 HDMI cables etc. It's alright, however I prefer playing my games on my Sony 26" 1080p LCD in the spare room. I sit around two feet away from it like a monitor, and it rocks. It's connected to a 5.1 surround system with ?50 HDMI cables. I've started using the official 7.1 Sony PS3 headset for gaming lately though. I can crank the volume right up, and headphones> any speakers IMO.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              ?200 HDMI cables etc.
              Really? You know you can get the same result from a ?10 cable, its digital.

Comment

?200 HDMI cables, good one.

Looking forward to getting an ASUS Xonar DX and a Matrix M-Stage headphone amplifier for my AKG K701 soon, then I'll be playing some PC games I suppose. Can't fault my Rotel amp and B&W speakers on my TV setup though. Got my 360 hooked up via official VGA cable to bypass image processing and my DC and PS2 hooked up with official RGB SCART cables.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  ?200 HDMI cables, good one.
                  Did I just fall for a joke?

Comment

Nah, I imagine J0e has the kind of disposable income to afford them. While you're right about the digital thing, I wouldn't buy super cheap-o cables. I use Belkin PureAV myself, used from eBay for about 1/5th the price.

Analog cables I can get behind though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                      SNES (Whatever is the best setup for that and my TV [hence the link above? Advice please?]
                      http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/modi...super-nintendo - you'll need the switchless mod and an rgb scart lead (they sell those too).

Comment

Even I thought that?

I stretched to ?15 for an Official Apple HDMI Cable (because it's Apple!) for my Apple TV2 Box (only thing I have that does HDMI) but ?200 is insane.

Comment

The official Apple HDMI cable is only ?15? Strange. All of their display port adapters are like ?20, shocking. Of course, if I had a macbook I'd have to buy them as they're official.

Comment

Nah, I imagine J0e has the kind of disposable income to afford them. While you're right about the digital thing, I wouldn't buy super cheap-o cables. I use Belkin PureAV myself, used from eBay for about 1/5th the price.

Analog cables I can get behind though.
                            ?10 for 1 metre is good enough as long as the build is good. I'm not willing to pay for companies to put the HDMI logos on their packaging (which they have to).

Next time someone in a store tries to sell you an expensive HDMI ask them for their gold plated ?100 USB cables.

Comment

The cable's I've got were 1M and 3M and cost ?5 and ?8 respectively. I just don't like really cheap cables. The ?2 ones, ew.

Comment

The official Apple HDMI cable is only ?15? Strange. All of their display port adapters are like ?20, shocking. Of course, if I had a macbook I'd have to buy them as they're official.
                                Really nice quality too, and they only have short little ends/ports/whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X