No announcement yet.

The importance of a good setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learnt the hard way - first HDMI cable cost me ?60 or so, but was 3m which I needed and back when poundland et al didn't sell them. These days I have loads that cost me no more than ?2 per metre and all, aside from a 10m cable that struggled with 1080p, have worked faultlessly.

Comment

I have van den Hul Ultimate cables. I know that I could have bought ?5 cables, but if I'm spending ?5k on a TV, I may as well spend big on my spaghetti. I could throw 1080p up to 25 metres before I'd need a repeater. Not that I need to, but yer.
      Last edited by J0e Musashi; 12-04-2012, 17:58.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Although I have spent more on quality analog cables in times gone by, when it comes to digital I pay pretty much the minimum. Around ?2 per metre I'd guess, for HDMI/DVI. In a side by side comparison over distances <3 metres there is no difference imo. It's digital so it's on or off.

Comment

Yes, it's largely because I always bought expensive analog cable in my seperates days that I did here.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            if I'm spending ?5k on a TV, I may as well spend big on my spaghetti.
            Worryingly that actually makes sense haha. A lot more sense than my "You already have a ?850 handbag?" "Yeah, but one's Navy Blue!" argument.

Comment

Handbags are topping ?1k now ?_?. How many do you girls actually need?
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

?1K? Mulberry laugh in the face of your ?1K bags! ---> http://www.boutique1.com/alexa-teddy-rivets-soft-matt

Personally I swear I'll go cold turkey once I get this one
                and spend my money on practical things like... erm... Wall mounting my TV and games consoles and speakers...

Speaking of speakers where is a good place to find middle of the range (i.e. under ?500) retro-ish colourful/bright speakers? Like the kind of thing below? High street electronic stores just sell the boring "home entertainment surround sets" or "classic-looking" wooden Hi-Fi ones and the only things I can find similar to those in the pic seem to be cheap chinese rubbish for PCs...

Comment

BAM. Do not pay for the HDMI logo printed on plastic packaging. Do not pay for branded What Hi Fi advertising either! Clever Marketing by these guys though, saying the RRP was ?60 and now the cable is a tenner.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                    ?1K? Mulberry laugh in the face of your ?1K bags! ---> http://www.boutique1.com/alexa-teddy-rivets-soft-matt
                    Someone I know works in a Mulberry. The mark up is out of this world.

Comment

You could look at something like B&W 685 and some kind of Rotel amplifier for around ?500.

I'd like some B&W 800D myself, but they're ?18k a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                        ?1K? Mulberry laugh in the face of your ?1K bags!
                        The handbags I buy my Mrs. are starting to top ?1k. If she wants a ?4k one then she better learn to walk and talk at the same time damnit!

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        I'd like some B&W 800D myself, but they're ?18k a pair.
                        *Googles*
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

1K for a handbag.

Never have I seen a bigger waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            *Googles*
                            You'd probably need another 10k of amplification hardware too. lol

Comment

Seriously, the junk that she has in there is insane. I use a Waitrose carrier for my transportation needs personally.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I've used the same ?30 JanSport bag since 2004ish.

Comment

Working...
                                X