Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just splurged on a GPD Win Max 2021 (Intel). Would have preferred AMD but the Iris XE 96 and Thunderbolt port gives me better options. Actually haven't bought it for gaming per se, just fed up with my 15-inch laptop sliding off my lap in bed and just being "too large".

Thought long and hard about either a 13/14 inch super slim ultrabook or a full-on gaming laptop, but the form factor, weight and expansion via TB4 seemed to tip it that way.

Mostly productivity, software development and some emulation for me on it.

Comment

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-...8gb-rtx-3070-w Any recommend a better 15" laptop for the money?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-...8gb-rtx-3070-w Any recommend a better 15" laptop for the money?
        Does it have to be a 3070??

I've been looking at this 3060 laptop recently

Take you games with you wherever you go with a gaming laptop. Shop our huge range of gaming laptops from the top brands, including MSI, ASUS, Lenovo, and more. Next-day delivery and flexible finance offers available.

But that 3070 does look pretty good for the pennies

Neil

Comment

That's a great price. I don't mind spending a bit more though. Video rendering with the 3070 would be a bit swifter. The cpu doesn't seem to quite match the gfx though in my option

Comment

In the end, I completely changed my mind and bought an A15: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09QFQMR4C
            ASUS TUF FA506QM 15.6 Inch QHD 144Hz
            AMD Ryzen R7-5800H
            Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
            16 GB RAM
            1 TB SSD
            WiFi 6
            Windows 11

Better chassis, webcam built in (didn't notice that the F15 didn't have one!), keyboard lighting changable (for some reason it's not on that F15), numberpad on the keyboard (I love these!), quiet fans, and with 1TB, I don't have to muck about buying and selling. 2 ssd slots too, in case it gets filled with games by my son.

My old laptop was pretty fast, even though years old mainly due to the SSD, but this one is lightning quick to load.
            I'm liking the option (in Armoury Crate) to disable the GPU and use onboard if disconnected from mains.
            Sea of Thieves runs at 85fps at 1080p on highest gfx settings so seems decent enough for my needs.

Comment

My ASUS isn't even a TUF and it's still going strong after ten years. If I ever buy a laptop again it'll be another ASUS. No questions.

I'd be tempted at trying Cyberpunk on that with raytracing on.

Exact same specs:

How's Overwatch? Locked 144fps?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                How's Overwatch? Locked 144fps?
                Actually no. It's hovering around 90fps with 100%gpu. 1080p ultra setting (it goes up to epic). Sometimes it goes to 100 or even 144.
                Should I be expecting 144?

I tried Hellblade with raytracing. Looked lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Should I be expecting 144?
                  I honestly have no idea, Charles man. I have no experience with the game.

Serious pros usually reduce shinies for the performance and ‘clean screen’ gains (especially when it comes to StarCraft II), even when they have killer systems. It’s a super-fast game, so you might not even be able to tell the difference between medium and ultra settings once you get going. YMMV.

Comment

Overwatch scales well visually IMO. I used to whack everything on low for max FPS and it looked barely any different to ultra.

Comment

Good points. Also realised I had Armoury Crate on Silent mode, so will try again later on Windows or Turbo and see

Comment

Ok if I fire up Turbo mode it happily does 144fps on ultra settings with a bit to spare. On low settings it looks almost the same but at 40%GPU. Nice

Comment

New kit day.

Cock out.

Need to work out how much cable I need and go back next week, as it was a bit of an impulse purchase.

Comment

Nice! I have Dali Oberons. I love them (plus they match my sofas)

Comment

Nice good to see actual speakers. Been considering trading in my q acoustics 2010i set up for an atmos soundbar solution I feel like I'm selling out.

Comment

I'll be adding an Atmos solution at some point in the near future, before potentially moving on to upgrade bits. Neighbours permitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X