Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh... really? I wouldn't have known to even look for that. Thanks, Brad. Yeah the ability to play commercial discs would be a factor here. So I need a card with a HDMI output?

Comment

Seems odd doesn't it? I just assumed that any card you could buy today could output HDMI with DHCP. I think some investigation is going on here and I'll update you with any findings.

Comment

Having a quick scan through their graphics card options, I can't find any that mention HDMI. What does that mean, I wonder? It does seem odd.

Comment

All of AMD's pro cards only have Display Ports; even nVidia revamped the Quadro line with just DP and DVI. HDCP is not exclusive to HDMI, DP and DVI both offer support. I'll check on my W7100 for indication on HDCP support, but 90% it is supported.

[edit] The W7100 supports HDCP. The drivers themselves don't have any indication of it but I've test with CyberLink's BR & 3D tester. Since the W5100 is the same family, only slower, I'd say that it does support HDCP too.
          Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 19-01-2016, 17:28.

Comment

New computer arrived today! Seems to be a beauty. Thanks for all the advice, guys! Really appreciate all the help in choosing this monster. No idea how it performs yet - just getting all the programmes installed. But it seems nice.

Edit: Oh, one question - why does my monitor which has no speakers have an audio-in port thingy?
            Last edited by Dogg Thang; 03-02-2016, 21:01.

Comment

They usually have an audio out, because HDMI and DP can carry audio signals; you connect the monitor with one of those and then the speakers to the monitor rather than on the computer. If it has an audio in it should have speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                They usually have an audio out, because HDMI and DP can carry audio signals; you connect the monitor with one of those and then the speakers to the monitor rather than on the computer. If it has an audio in it should have speakers.
                Sometimes this is because they have a proprietary port, with a special set of speakers you can buy that bolts onto the monitor. Some DELL monitors work like that.

Comment

Yeah, it's weird. There has to be an audio out somewhere but I don't see one. Just a mysterious audio in. I'll go looking in the manual - the last resort of a desperate man.

It has a HDMI port, DVI, VGA, audio in jack and then just the power DC hole thingy.

Edit: Hang on, mystery solved. It does in fact have two tiny little speakers built in. The listing on the site says it didn't have any. Haven't heard any sound from them yet but might play with it later.
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 05-02-2016, 13:59.

Comment

By default your PC will be using the audio on your motherboard I imagine but you could switch it to using the HDMI.

Comment

Bought some Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm to replace my AKG K701 which require an amplifier to be used with absolutely anything. The sound stage of the K701 was pretty incredible but I'm really liking these 'phones so far.

Comment

*cue verbal explosion noise*

Just waiting for the new 11/20 series GTX to hit, rather than get bummed by scalpers.

Comment

How much to get my pc vr capable?

I5 at 4.5ghz (could go to 5 if necessary)
                          8gb ram
                          Gtx580

Basically do I just need a new GPU or does the cpu need changing too?

Comment

You should be okay for low to mid VR. Your GPU is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

*cue verbal explosion noise*

Just waiting for the new 11/20 series GTX to hit, rather than get bummed by scalpers.
                              Didn’t go high end ryzen Dave? I would of though they would be better for design.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Didn’t go high end ryzen Dave? I would of though they would be better for design.
                                It'd take some miraculous levels of performance for me to switch from Intel. Besides, I only really use Photoshop 95% of the time with Atom and Chrome/Firefox taking up the other 5%. My six year-old i7 is more than capable of fulfilling me needs however I need another computer if my wife is going to start joining in and helping me, which is what I need more than anything as it's been over a month since I've had a day off.

The above still sits all boxed up (apart from the monitor which I set up right away). I've just not had the time to start building.

Comment

Working...
                                X