Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Man's Sky from Hello Games (HAS to be seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the discussions about PSVR has got me thinking why this never got the PSVR treatment?

Comment

My guess is that it's because one or more of the following reasons:
      • Most/part of a small team were working on Xbox version
      • Sony not prepared to fund/subsidise
      • Not enough power for the PS4 to do (similar to why there's no Elite Dangerous).
      • HG are working on something else

Of course it could still arrive and seems an ideal game for it.

Comment

I think it's far simpler than that - there isn't the player base to support it because everyone realised months ago that this isn't a very good game. I know this is the Steam base, but I'd be surprised if the consoles didn't follow the same pattern.

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.

Sure there's a peak when a new patch comes out, but it quickly dies off again because fundamentally, none of it has changed the core game loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          All the discussions about PSVR has got me thinking why this never got the PSVR treatment?
          It is likely fairly CPU heavy due to all of the procedural generation going on, which doesn't lend itself to the high framerate requirements for VR.

Also Sony threw them under the bus and without their support they may not have been prepared to have put all that work in for such a tiny number or people.

Comment

Another update...and I haven't even made it on to the Abyss update yet!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              It is likely fairly CPU heavy due to all of the procedural generation going on, which doesn't lend itself to the high framerate requirements for VR.

Also Sony threw them under the bus and without their support they may not have been prepared to have put all that work in for such a tiny number or people.
              True. And rightly so IMO. Deceitful campaign leading up to the initial release. Appreciate they're trying to rectify that now but they shouldn't be surprised they're having to do that on their own. Elite Dangerous still appeals to me more. Have been holding out hope for a PSVR release of that but looks like it won't so I might get is on Xbox, assuming that the X makes that the best version?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                True. And rightly so IMO. Deceitful campaign leading up to the initial release. Appreciate they're trying to rectify that now but they shouldn't be surprised they're having to do that on their own. Elite Dangerous still appeals to me more. Have been holding out hope for a PSVR release of that but looks like it won't so I might get is on Xbox, assuming that the X makes that the best version?

I was actually referring to Sony being the one that pulled them up on stage with a tech demo and made all of the promises of it being treated as a AAA game with the full backing of Sony.
                Then when it went pear shaped because the finished product wasn't what they/Sony had promised. Sony just went silent.

Sony went from

Originally posted by Sony
                No Man's Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios. We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release program as if we had made it. We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it
                To Shu after the cluster**** that was the release:
                Originally posted by ShuHei Yoshida
                It wasn't a great PR strategy, because he didn't have a PR person helping him, and in the end he is an indie developer.
                Which is quite a big contrast to the full power of Playstation.

Hello games rather playfully talked about the situation in good grace I think

Originally posted by Sean Murray
                I don't know what a good way to say this is, but like, we worked with Sony, and we didn't have to. We didn't know what it would be like, but also, [laughs] maybe we should have understood? I've said to people before, if a kid gets into the cage at the zoo with the gorilla...[laughs]

I don't blame the gorilla, right? That's what the gorilla does. The kid does what the kid does. There is there is an obvious mismatch between a huge company and this tiny, tiny company [that has] suddenly become important.

Either way, anybody with even a little sense could see how it was going to turn out fairly early on. Any mentioned of any kind of procedurally generated open world game is enough to send me running.
                However, the big update they delivered this year really did bring it up to the place where it should have been at the start, so at least they did make good.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 22-11-2018, 22:11.

Comment

Deferring the blame imo. He went out and claimed all this stuff, not Sony. I feel like he swindled the gamers and Sony and I expect they feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Deferring the blame imo. He went out and claimed all this stuff, not Sony. I feel like he swindled the gamers and Sony and I expect they feel the same.
                    I give credit where its due, as they have stuck with the project and constantly updated, and the updates have been substantial and fairly numerous, especially given theres only 4 or 5 people working on it.

However, Murray dug that hole himself before launch with blatant false advertising, the in game graphics in no way matched what the adverts vids were showing, not even close.

Comment

Agreed. I do feel like they're doing the right thing now to make up for the earlier errors of judgment and would give them a second chance. NMS doesn't seem like the game I want to play still but they do seem to be doing right by their customers. They shouldn't be surprised that they're having to make amends without assistance form their previous allies though.

Comment

I really want to like NMS and admire the efforts they're putting in, but the core game is still such a grind.

I can't help but compare it to Minecraft every time I play it and it falls short.

Instead of mining stuff to make a roller coaster, castle or anything I can imagine, it's just a case of swallow the spider to catch the fly.

You need to get off the planet! Mine some fuel!
                        To mine some fuel, use the mining tool!
                        You need fuel for the tool! find some of that!
                        You can't pick up anything else, your six inventory slots are full! Use your ship's inventory!
                        Your ship's 8 inventory slots are full! Drop some items!
                        You've dropped the fuel to get off the planet! Find some more!

Argh!

Comment

My main problem is they made the raw materials easy to get but the refining and crafting way more complex in time investment and inventory slots, tried to get back into it when the 3rd person update came out and gave up after getting stuck in base building missions, just missing all sorts of blue prints I couldn't find.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            I really want to like NMS and admire the efforts they're putting in, but the core game is still such a grind.

I can't help but compare it to Minecraft every time I play it and it falls short.

Instead of mining stuff to make a roller coaster, castle or anything I can imagine, it's just a case of swallow the spider to catch the fly.

You need to get off the planet! Mine some fuel!
                            To mine some fuel, use the mining tool!
                            You need fuel for the tool! find some of that!
                            You can't pick up anything else, your six inventory slots are full! Use your ship's inventory!
                            Your ship's 8 inventory slots are full! Drop some items!
                            You've dropped the fuel to get off the planet! Find some more!

Argh!
                            This was my main problem as well. If they had increased the slots to say 100 different mats, with those slots able to stack as high as you want I would have stuck with it. The pitiful lack of inventory space was a deal breaker and the constantly pointless juggling is so soul destroying.
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-11-2018, 15:19.

Comment

I get that it's a mechanism to restrict you from "completing" the game by mining infinite fuel, but it's too restrictive.
                              I had a ship full of stuff. I wanted to store it, but couldn't get the tool fuel to get the takeoff fuel to get to the space station, so I was just stranded.

It's a sci-fi game! Make something up!
                              You don't mine resources, you teleport them to a massive storage planet.
                              You can't carry much on you, but your ship has a shrinking field to reduce your materials down and you can fit more in.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I get that it's a mechanism to restrict you from "completing" the game by mining infinite fuel, but it's too restrictive.
                                I had a ship full of stuff. I wanted to store it, but couldn't get the tool fuel to get the takeoff fuel to get to the space station, so I was just stranded.

It's a sci-fi game! Make something up!
                                You don't mine resources, you teleport them to a massive storage planet.
                                You can't carry much on you, but your ship has a shrinking field to reduce your materials down and you can fit more in.
                                Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X