The Thread of Never Ending Horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thread of Never Ending Horror

To me, there are probably two genres that are the hardest for film makers to nail. Those genres are comedies and horrors. In both the writing has to be up to scratch and timing is of the utmost importance which is why there are so many failures released every year. However, more so than with comedies, every year there is a real glut of low budget horrors released both at the cinema and direct to disc with audiences seemingly lapping up what's offered despite how poor it is. The fascination is bizarre with repeatedly trying what is unlikely to be any good. Here is a thread dedicated to horrors that are more horrific because of their existence rather than the shocks they hold.

Outpost II: Black Sun
    and
    Outpost III: Rise of the Spetsnaz

Two sequels to the 2008 low budget horror about a group of mercenaries entering a WW2 bunker with a scientist to find an abandoned Nazi machine. Then, one by one they're picked off by what appear to be apparitions of the missing Nazi soldiers. The second film will follow and SAS team sent into the bunker to stop the Nazi force escaping, the third film will start filming soon.

Also filming around now is:

Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines

"A small West Virginia town is hosting the legendary Mountain Man Festival on Halloween, where throngs of costumed partygoers gather for a wild night of music and mischief. But an inbred family of hillbilly cannibals kill the fun when they trick and treat themselves to a group of visiting college students."

Why? Dear god, why?

How could I not click to see inside this thread? Superb title.

There is something wrong with me though because I want to watch all those movies you just listed!

Comment

There is a morbid curiosity to them. They're never good but there's a small voice in your head saying 'watch it'. I was bewildered that they made a Boogeyman 2, let alone Boogeyman 3. Same with Hostel Part III

Comment

i thought this would be a thread about reality shows.....

Comment

Outpost 2 and Wrong Turn 4 are getting their UK premieres at Frightfest in August....I will be in another screen at the time though

Paranormal Activity 3 was mindsmashingly awful I thought...really enjoyed the first 2 but 3 was just fake jump scares.

Comment

And it's only 3 months till Paranormal Activity 4!

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
              Paranormal Activity 3 was mindsmashingly awful I thought...really enjoyed the first 2 but 3 was just fake jump scares.
              Whats a "fake" jump scare? You mean when something spooky suddenly happens, but turns out it was just the cat messing around?

I remember feeling that the third was the one with least jump scares of the three. In the third most of the scares were real and to a higher extent something tangible, something you actually knew what was. Where in the previous two movies, the fear often came from not knowing exactly what was happening. I especially like the scene where the camera is mounted to the fan and moves back and forth. Continually giving the viewer more hints as to what's happening and a good overview of the room, without ever letting the viewer feel a sense of control of the situation. I also liked how this movie actually had a lot of progress to the story, introducing several exciting elements, that opens many doors for where the fourth one might go.

To me the third one is the best of the three (haven't seen Tokyo Night), as the characters are more relatable and believable, and it has much more variation in not only how it scares you, but also in its general structure. The last two felt a bit monotonous in comparison.

Comment

Yeah...or in that films case a person hiding in a cupboard. The only bit that I found genuinely creepy was the bit with the sheet/babysitter.

My views on them are summed up by the fact (I watched all 3 with a empty house in the small hours as I like to scare myself properly ) after 1+2 I had the lights on for a bit and watched some light hearted TV before bed after the terrible (imo) ending to 3 I went straight to bed in the dark.

3 I hated the characters...all of them annoying especially the Mom + Bf. I liked how they fit 1 and 2 together whereas 3 screamed CASH IN at me. I also quite fancy the woman from 1

The joy of cinema though is how very differently people see and enjoy/not enjoy the same things!

Comment

The second Paronormal activity was the worst one, becuase it was just a retread of the first film, only worse.

Not that any of them are very good.

Comment

If I had to plump for a PA entry it would probably be the third. Like Alex said, there's some decent use of the camera in it and though relatively flat for the most part the jumps that are there are pretty solid. As soon as it hits the last 10 minutes though it's resolutely awful.

The first two I'd say were pretty much the same to each other, both were completely void of jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                      As soon as it hits the last 10 minutes though it's resolutely awful.
                      Whaaaat? That's the best part! It goes bat**** crazy, and it does so while staying true to the story presented in the first two movies. I love that part.

And for me, these movies was never about the jump scares, but more about the tension. The PA movies are very different to most other modern horror movies, in that they rely less on what's on screen, but rather what isn't. Most modern movies try to scare with its imagery. Often this is pale girls with dark hair, a devil-like figure or old ladies. In PA however, the viewers own imagination will step in for all the unknown elements, and to some people, that's way more effective than any visual appearance a movie maker could conjure up. Almost all of the movies that has scared me the most, have used this approach. Though the mileage will certainly vary, as people get immersed in movies to different extents.

I would also add that I think it's gotten cool to hate on the Paranormal Activity movies. That's what happens when some movie does something that's kind of new and/or is very successful. Yet I find them to be very well made. Despite the limitations from their narrative format (first person camera footage), they manage to create mostly believable scenarios with some very effective - and sometimes very creative - ways to scare the viewer. And even if you don't appreciate the movies yourself, one can't deny that at least they are trying, when so many horror movies today rely on paper-thin characters and try to scare by jump-cutting to some gruesome contrasty imagery (of a pale, dark haired girl).

Comment

And for me, these movies was never about the jump scares, but more about the tension. The PA movies are very different to most other modern horror movies, in that they rely less on what's on screen, but rather what isn't
                        Thats what I meant...jump scares bore me, lazy film making...1 and 2 had none and I found them really creepy as a result. Dont sit there terrified obviously but the goosebumps def. popped up a few times!

3 threw the jump scares in I also thought the "constantly walking around with a camera" approach poor compared to the cctv of the first 2 and I hated it as a result. Will give 4 a go probably tho.

I watched number 3 on the same day as I saw Insidious. Twas not a good day, astral projecting my arse

Following the theme of the thread tho....are Wrong Turn 2/3 worth a watch or just terrible?

Comment

I think that's why PA1 and 2 fell flat for me, I didn't feel any tension. Swinging doors and Ghostbusters style messy kitchens were dull for me, they dragged out what was a very thin scenario. I understood the need to keep viewers connected to the storyline hence following the same family throughout the series but the end of PA3 for me was poor because it broke the tone of the film. Suddenly

you had a bunch of old people in a cult stalking possessed children who in turn start doing all the tired J-horror tropes themselves.

I just felt it was unneccessary, part of the appeal was that this was a horrible scenario that could happen to anyone so if you here or see something creepy at night who knows? Now it's gone down a more tired and convoluted route, I'm not too hopeful for PA4 on that basis as it's the same mistake Saw made.

Comment

Somebody has to make this happen!

Comment

Speaking of Paranormal Activity

Doesn't fill me with confidence, they're so heavily into the mythology they've built I can't help but feel 'meh' because I know who the figures are that pop up in the trailer. Plus, at this rate Paranormal Activity 5 will need to focus on an occult spell which forces the people related to one particular family to record video 24/7

Comment

Working...
                              X