Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD (XBLA, PSN) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD (XBLA, PSN) review

The first two games in this series are two of my favourite games of all time, so looked forward to this HD edition.

Having played it for a little while, I'm pretty bummed. First of all, there is disappointingly little content in the game. Even the first game had 9 levels to skate around in, so to only get 7 in this one seems a bit stingy. To me, the first level in a Tony Hawk game was more of a training level, with little exploration to do, so I got tired of them pretty quickly. So to make that small number seem even smaller, two of the seven levels are the first ones from both games. Both being small, confined areas. Seeing as they only had to remodel and update the textures of existing levels, I don't think the small number of levels is due to the work of including, rather the desire to make even more money by selling them as DLC later on.

The level creator from Tony Hawk 2 is also not included. Combining it with online sharing could have made this game into something really special. I guess they feared we would get hours of entertainment out of user-generated levels instead of buying their DLC for the game. Maybe the level creator itself is an upcoming DLC pack?

The physics feel off. While I don't think that the physics in the old game are perfect and untouchable, I do feel that they are poorer in this version. The jumping feels less immediate and more floaty than before. And there's a slight delay when connecting to or jumping of a rail, which can add just enough of a delay to mess up a combo.

The game runs at 30 frames per second!? This last point is pretty much unforgivable for this kind of game. When THPS2 ran at more than that so many years ago, there really isn't any excuse to not be able to match it today. No games gain as much as the combo/action game from having a silky smooth framerate.

Overall, this feels less like a real game and more like a calculated platform for selling DLC. With upcoming levels costing 400ms points each, one can expect to having paid more for this than a full retail release if one plans to buy all the levels. The worst part of it all is that I'll probably cave and buy them all.

Edit:
    Having played some more, I'm pretty sure there's a delay to EVERYTHING. Even from hitting A to when the skater jumps there is a noticeable delay.

It also seems that the speed is much higher in this game than the first two. Especially apparant in the first level, where you're bouncing from one end of the level to the next in just a moment.
    Last edited by JSR; 18-07-2012, 17:15.

I like it. The lower frame rate is a bit of a let down but it is consistent.

I kept trying to do tricks that aren't in the game because i'm used to the 3rd and 4th game. But once I got used to it I was ok.

Been playing it on Live and it holds up well. Only had 1 laggy game out of 8.

It's just what you'de expect. The classic game before it went stale, in HD with online play. Sorted
    Last edited by MarioMark; 18-07-2012, 22:08.

Comment

Not noticing a delay TBH....only moan I have is the camera is a little bit too close for my liking.
      Also, its been so long since I have played this I cant remember any of the best routes, what the tasks are and not crashing every 2 secs

Also the achievement list is a little dull...but having fun so far. Will try online tomorrow when I have removed the rust from my skills!

Comment

You guys are wrong.

Comment

Also been after this aaaaages, was pretty chuffed to get back home from work and it was finally available...DLed it straight away...

...and despite it being 'pretty good', it's *certainly* not the glorious retro rejig I was expecting.

No 60fps (whut?) means this looks/feels worse than THAW on PS2* - this SHOULD have been a given(!) Even the 'HD' aspect is questionable, Trials Evo was bang on the money, this isn't, just vaguely upgraded Homebase textures. I'm playing as T.H., and unlike AlexWS, I'm actually finding it plays quite slowly...though I recall Hawk skating better in goofy, yet I find he's still a tad sluggish in that stance. Game has PS1-era glitches (just got to the Mall level and I fell through an escalator, got trapped in infinite darkness). Music is primarily ****e, and I hate that fake US 'ska' ****e...which happens to kick off the game. No Kareem Campbell. Seven sodding levels, all old, this is LAZY, they have not even tried to make any of their own to keep things a bit fresh for us old THPS fans, what a disappointingly lame choice!

(*and all the other PS2 Hawk's games are much smoother than this!!!)

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bollocks, the purity of old THPS games is still here, lots of fun is still to be had...it's kinda like Hawk himself, it's older, dodderier, more arthritic, prone to being a bit flaky, less responsive (probly like T.H.'s member is in 2012)...in short, this is an *aged* version of the first PS1 games, one which also happens to share the same framerate as the PS1 originals. Disappointing but I shall persist, the 2-minute time limits feel somehow really welcome, just a pity the level of responsiveness pales next to, say, THPS3, and is never 100% consistent. Bah.

Hopefully, there'll be patches???
          Last edited by JazzFunk; 19-07-2012, 00:19.

Comment

The biggest Disapointment for me is the replacing of the videotapes with DVDs, I can look past all the jankyness but this I can't it feels like a smack in the face.

Its not as polished as I would of expected but it's still fun and I lost a few hours last night completing the little challenges on the first few levels but I'm not sure how long it will keep my attention. This really should of been a celebration of what made the first tony hawks games good instead it feels slightly half baked and more like a poor relation.

That bloody superman song!!! gah it drives me mad, I'm sure it used to come round more in the first game than any of the other songs it will be forever burned in my mind like that offspring track from crazy taxi "yeah yeah yeah yeah"

Comment

I was going to get this but there seems to be a miniscule amount of content out of the 'box'.

Not a good HD remaster then...

Comment

Yeah, well I figured it not only has less levels than THPS2, but also less modes of play, no splitscreen, half the soundtrack, half the skater roster... why not pop in THPS2, and getting used to the aged graphics? Its a superior game.

I'm not going to buy it once it hits PSN.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                  Yeah, well I figured it not only has less levels than THPS2, but also less modes of play, no splitscreen, half the soundtrack, half the skater roster... why not pop in THPS2, and getting used to the aged graphics? Its a superior game.

I'm not going to buy it once it hits PSN.
                  If I had the games still I might have held off but I don't and this is despite its faults a fun game. I quite like the achievement hunting aspect that's been added with Xbox live support, it gives me a reason to play through this again.

Comment

I know from what you guys have said I shouldn't want this but I do - supposed to be on PSN today apparently but isn't, anyone know when it'll hit?

Comment

Just gone back to this after a couple of years to see if it'd 'click'. How wrong I was.Horrible, horrible, horrible. It just FEELS bad...totally wrong to play. I could make do with the 30fps if the controls had been right, but they're so SO wrong, laggy and fiddly and the collision detection feels really bad at points. Wish the original bods could do a new remake of this, this is sacrilegious.

Comment

Working...
                      X