No announcement yet.

Alien: Covenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw this was on Disney+, trying to watch it now.

Got as far as the scene with the back-burster in the medical room, and honestly, I'm finding it hard going. I got to the point where a second person slips and falls in the same place and I'm almost ready to turn it off.

Why do the people who make the Alien franchise not understand the first two movies at all? Everyone in Prometheus and this are morons! Cartographers who get lost! Colonists who think the best way to see if a planet is safe is to land and stomp around the place, disturbing bio-matter like plants and spores! These are meant to be smart people, why are they such fools?

<Guy obviously breathing heavy and looking pallid>
    "Are you okay?"
    "I'm fine."
    <No more investigation warranted in this first foray in an alien biosphere>

For ****'s sake.

Alien and Aliens are extremely tight movies in terms of scripting and characterisation. They have casts of sensible characters who make good (or at least understandable) decisions, who only die/lose because they're crushed by the enormity of the terrible situation in which they find themselves. Some of them panic; they're human - but in reasonable ways. They make their mistakes after everything goes to ****, not before.

This is yet another horror movie where I'm secretly rooting for the Alien to eviscerate this entire band of "people you'd probably end up having to do a group project with".

Comment

Yep. All of that.

Comment

Yep seconded all of that, mostly complete nonsense and terribly, terribly written.

Comment

And then you remember that the same guy made Alien and Alien: Covenant...

Comment

Ridley Scott is an incredible director. His visuals are incredible and he knows his craft. But it has become clear that he doesn’t know a good story from a bad one. Pair his with a good script and he’ll make a masterpiece. But all his beautiful visuals can’t polish a turd.

Comment

I berated Prometheus for all these scientists doing the opposite of their profession, but then Covenant came along and made it look like Citizen Kane.

At one point, a red-shirt nameless soldier says, after multiple people have been dispatched in the forest by creatures, "I'm going for a whizz... I'll be riiiiight baaaack..."

I was angry at just how bad this film is.

Comment

Covenant has some of the worst sequences in it, like almost everything with Fassbender's characters but... I'd watch it over Prometheus. Covenant is a mess but Prometheus is outright dull

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Covenant has some of the worst sequences in it, like almost everything with Fassbender's characters but... I'd watch it over Prometheus. Covenant is a mess but Prometheus is outright dull
                  They are both absolutely shat!
                  If you look at Ridleys filmography from the last 15 years, I'd say these two films stand out as his worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Saw this was on Disney+, trying to watch it now.

Got as far as the scene with the back-burster in the medical room, and honestly, I'm finding it hard going. I got to the point where a second person slips and falls in the same place and I'm almost ready to turn it off.

Why do the people who make the Alien franchise not understand the first two movies at all? Everyone in Prometheus and this are morons! Cartographers who get lost! Colonists who think the best way to see if a planet is safe is to land and stomp around the place, disturbing bio-matter like plants and spores! These are meant to be smart people, why are they such fools?

<Guy obviously breathing heavy and looking pallid>
                    "Are you okay?"
                    "I'm fine."
                    <No more investigation warranted in this first foray in an alien biosphere>

For ****'s sake.

Alien and Aliens are extremely tight movies in terms of scripting and characterisation. They have casts of sensible characters who make good (or at least understandable) decisions, who only die/lose because they're crushed by the enormity of the terrible situation in which they find themselves. Some of them panic; they're human - but in reasonable ways. They make their mistakes after everything goes to ****, not before.

This is yet another horror movie where I'm secretly rooting for the Alien to eviscerate this entire band of "people you'd probably end up having to do a group project with".
                    My favourite post in some time. Has all the elements I’m looking for!

Comment

They definitely both bad films but... I can tolerate them given... the Alien vs Predator films and Predator 4

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        They definitely both bad films but... I can tolerate them given... the Alien vs Predator films and Predator 4
                        I like to think of movies like football leagues. You have the premiership, and this is where most movies reside. Then you have the lower championship, and this lower league is where movies like Anaconda vs Lake placid and Freddy 6 live. These Alien films still live in the higher league, just at the bottom somewhere. The Alien Vs Predator films go into the lower league.

Comment

I think there's an element of expectation attached as well, though.

Anaconda was a new IP, featuring some big names like Jennifer Lopez and Owen Wilson, but I went in looking for Ice Cube Vs. a massive snake and got that. It made $137m off a $45m budget.

Lake Placid had a Golden Girl Vs. a giant croc. It earned $56m off a $30m (ish) budget.

Covenant finally put the "Alien" back in the title, so it was canon and following some of the best films ever made.
                          Everybody was so stupid.
                          "Oh hey, I can hear 'Country Roads', let's abandon the plan and land here!"

Comment

Lake Placid is so watchable. Really funny in places. It doesn't take itself too seriously. Alien films are supposed to be serious, but I wonder how cool it would be if they made the equivalent of Alienado. Or Lakalien. Or Megalien. This half house AvP stuff is rubbish.

Comment

Oh no, you guys misunderstood.
                              Not lake placid or Anaconda...
                              but Lake Placid vs Anaconda! Its a film, and it's something to behold.

Comment

I've seen it. Loved it.

Comment

Working...
                                X