All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The debate about gaming community influence on violence will respark:

In light of today's New Zealand gun attack on two Mosques that have seen 49 killed

It's been reported that as one of the killers livestreamed the assault they name checked PewDiePie as an influence

Comment

I'm sure the fact that he live streamed it and it looks like a ''FPS" will draw attention from the daily mail. Its an absolutely appalling act by these nut cases.

Comment

Yep. And whether it's fair or not to point to the gaming community as a factor (probably is to an extent because I think we'd all acknowledge that there are some very toxic factions in our beloved hobby), I would say what does need to be examined is how certain areas of the internet are used to normalise and foster hatred, bigotry and so on. Because it's not limited to gaming in the slightest but there are some common factors across fringes of gaming communities, movie fandoms and what have you. Pewdiepie is a racist with a massive following, for example. You don't get to be that without having a certain level of responsibility for the influence you have. On the dregs of 8chan and buried in reddit, groups focus smear attacks on women, minorities and whoever they don't like in their chosen hobby (be it gaming, comics etc) and don't get to absolve themselves of responsibility when someone goes too far with that.

So yeah, there's a discussion to be had.

But you know what? If anything, it highlights the good in little places like this. Where a bunch of mature, decent, intelligent adults can discuss their hobbies and share different viewpoints like we're all sitting around some old pub somewhere and there is barely a shred of anger, toxicity or anything else. And we're not the only ones. It's important to recognise that.

Edit: Fixed typo, although "factory" was funnier.
        Last edited by Dogg Thang; 15-03-2019, 09:49.

Comment

Horrific and heartfelt thoughts to the victims, families and those affected.

I do think this should be a wake up call to the like of Google and Amazon. The killer didn't have to go to some dark corner of the web for their racism, hatred, fanatical white supremacist fix. No they simply logged onto Youtube or Twitch. Also let's not forget that those who owned a gambling company and encouraged children to gamble on said site, still earn huge sums from streaming on Twitch and Youtube. PewDiePie will rightly be blamed for his actions but the spotlight also needs to be on the platforms themselves.
          Last edited by Digfox; 15-03-2019, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
            the spotlight also needs to be on the platforms themselves.
            Completely agree. Essentially these are now our modern public spaces. Only they play by private rules and it's not working.

Comment

The Internet does for more harm than gaming ever could.

Comment

It's an awful event, and for what little it's worth, my heart goes out to all of those impacted. Despite trying to have my eyes as open as can be with all of the warning signs of the last few years, and feeling a very bleak sense of inevitability about attacks like this, I am still finding it very difficult to stomach just how close to home this guy had found an environment where his horrendous ideology was developed, and encouraged.
                Last edited by fuse; 15-03-2019, 13:57.

Comment

Sigh. Games again? Really media? Really? That’s the best you’ve got?

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Sigh. Games again? Really media? Really? That’s the best you’ve got?

Sigh.
                    Is there a specific article you're talking about here? What are you actually responding to?

Comment

It's awful how closely gaming is entwined with toxic, extremist communities. It's not so much the content of the games themselves that are really a problem, more the fact that some of the worst groups seem to hold it as a common interest. Some extremist incels, alt righters etc are using gaming communities as a rallying point, and that's an issue for the hobby as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        Is there a specific article you're talking about here? What are you actually responding to?
                        Bit of a weird question. The articles of course, what else would I be responding too?

Comment

The new social element of gaming allows the creation of factions with similar ideas to evolve.
                          In a positive way, a couple of people who know each other can play together and meet others who enjoy the game and build up a larger friend group.
                          On the negative end, a couple of people who have extreme ideas, can slowly start to encourage others with similar ideas to 'pool' together. Videogaming is almost a secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            Bit of a weird question. The articles of course, what else would I be responding too?
                            The articles don't blame games though. At least, not the articles linked above.

Comment

Exactly. There's no blaming going on, so I found it a slightly weird and overly defensive position to take.

Comment

If they don’t blame games why is it in the thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X