No announcement yet.

Working in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I guess you'll have a humanities visa instead of instructor which is a lot more versatile."

Switching between the two is no trouble at all. I have changed visa type many times.

Comment

Does anyone have any more experiences (good/bad/ugly) to share regarding Borderlink?

I received a job offer, and they need a reply in a week. Which is a bummer because I have a couple of other interviews lined up (which I won't hear back until after this week is out).
      I've emailed Borderlink asking to postpone the decision but apparently they need it in a week for visa purposes (which seems strange because my partner has a pending interview with them, so the visa deadline can't be that set in stone)

After research on the interwebs, I've become really apprehensive about working at Borderlink. But I'm not sure whether to risk saying no to them, and then getting rejected by these other two interviews.

Comment

Well I'd rather not screw them over, I would rather have a job with stable hours than take the risk and have to go job hunting again. Plus they were good enough to give me the opportunity and get me a visa. I'm just frustrated that I still don't know where I'll be living or even going for the first day of the induction 4 days before leaving.

The reason for me wanting to move to Osaka is pretty simple, I've never been to that part of Japan and its pretty near to Kyoto and a lot of other parts of Japan that I want to visit, plus it's a bit cheaper.

I'm sure this time next week everything will be fine and I'll be a lot happier once everything has been sorted out but it's just stressful at the moment not knowing where the hell I'm going to be living in 4 days time lol

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
          "I guess you'll have a humanities visa instead of instructor which is a lot more versatile."

Switching between the two is no trouble at all. I have changed visa type many times.
          True, but it's a hassle and costs money each time on top of time off work. I never switched but I couldn't start my new job until I got the humanities one. Luckily it only took two weeks but in my case it was a renewal and change at the same time. I changed from humanities to engineer and this time there was no rush or hassle like you.

Also, my company paid for it and didn't dock my pay(although I'm on salary). Dispatch company said nope.

I doubt I'll be changing my engineer one any time soon, except to hopefully a spouse visa

Comment

The cost is only about 4000 yen. You have a point about the hassle, but it's hardly a major consideration.

Comment

You're right.

In my case the travel was about 1500Y and, at the time I went, I lost 6,000Y of pay because I had to leave school three hours early. The actual trip is ok, though. I've rarely spent more than two hours at immigration each time and Kindle helps!

Comment

Lost pay? Which stingy employer was that?

Comment

Necrobump.

Looks like I will be moving to Jinseki District, Hiroshima in August 2021.

Looking forward to it!

Comment

Hiroshima is nice.

Comment

A couple of years until I start looking at international schools to teach at.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                        Necrobump.

Looking forward to it!
                        Well done and good luck.

Originally posted by Enoshimalove View Post
                        Hiroshima is nice.
                        Not just nice, it's lovely, my favourite city in Japan.

Comment

I didn't get to go my one and only trip to Japan but I would love to visit Hiroshima next time I go if I get the chance.

Comment

As the others said, it's a lovely city. I'd say that more you venture south, the better Japan becomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                              Well done and good luck.

Not just nice, it's lovely, my favourite city in Japan.

Sorry fam, I love Hiroshima and hiking Miyajima is bliss, and the wonderful seafood manjus you can only get on Miyajima are brilliant, but I just can't agree.

Nothing touches Shonan. Hiratsuka, Chogo, Chigasaki, Katase-enoshima, Shirihama, ...it's heaven.
                              Last edited by Enoshimalove; 15-01-2021, 00:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                                Necrobump.

Looking forward to it!
                                I hope you do make it. The Olympics are defo going to be canceled again, I think....and with that new variant in JP, I fear borders will be closed for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X