No announcement yet.

Eurogamer Staff Meltdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that, but it still doesn't quite explain why they took it quite so seriously, if it really was a threat she made on her own. The article is out there, unredacted, elsewhere too and there've been no further threats of legal action I'm aware of.

As RevStu puts it:

That fact appears to leave us with only one plausible conclusion. Eurogamer's own Operations Director has explicitly said there was a legal threat (something he's reiterated in a statement today just minutes before we were about to publish this post), despite the website having previously only admitted to changing the piece after a "complaint". Given the vast costs of a libel case, it seems hugely unlikely that experienced professionals such as Bramwell or Loman would treat as credible a threat from a lowly staff writer like Wainwright on her own. Therefore, we must assume that the "lawyers" mentioned by Bramwell would have been those of Intent Media
    Hmm. I don't suppose we'll find out what really happened but we're certainly not getting the whole picture.

Comment

Certainly plausible that Wainwright could launch an action on her own bat, but then use Intent's lawyers to fight the case because she works for the company. I'm aware that similar could occur at my brother's place of work, he could use his company's (vast) legal team to assist if he was threatened with an action.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Check out this amazing example of "journalism" - note, you'll have to change the .co to .com - I didn't think they deserved a functioning link.

It's a direct copy (including spelling mistakes!) of this: http://www.gamingthinktank.com/2012/...f-video-games/

Looks like they have no qualms about how big the target is (again, change the .co to .com)

That is a direct copy of the BBC news article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20186937 which clearly has copyright BBC 2012 at the bottom.

Amazing that a pagerank 5 site can get away with that sort of disgusting behaviour. Oh, but it's ok right? They have a tiny link to "source" at the end......

Comment

It's not really journalism though is it.
          I get the impression that the writer's first language isn't English either.

Comment

Also, Rob Florence has gone GLENTAL on Twitter...

Comment

What does GLENTAL mean?

Comment

Someone who is called Glen who has gone Mental.

From The Thick of It. Which you should watch, even if you are a Frog.

Comment

For the last few years we've maintained a public "How We Work" document that makes it clear to anyone who uses the site…

EG updates its policies

Comment

Can't say fairer than that really. Here's hoping it sends a message out to others in the industry.

Comment

Something good comes about from Doritosgate, well done www.pocket-gamer.co.uk and Mark Brown for sticking to their principles. http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/P...ws.asp?c=46618

Comment

We have to buy all our review games!!! Well, almost all of them.

Well done pocket gamer though - how can games get better if reviewers don't tell everyone what's wrong with them?

Comment

Working...
                        X