New Dreamcast Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    It also has Third Strike (albeit a poor version of it), the true undisputed best fighter ever ever. Ever~
    Just remember to deactive that nasty screen filter then it's perfect, plus it the final revision of the game not released in arcades with all those lovely bug fixes so true fighter fans don't have to worries about cheap players using bugs. Customised game play is great as SFIII TS is even better when combine with the alpha system.

The Dreamcast really does have one of the best fighting game lineups which in many ways I consider better than the Saturns as most of the titles are arcade perfect.
    Bit of a sweeping fan statement there, the huge choice of games on the Saturn is why it's the better console for vs games. Yes the Dreamcast has the last of big name and Street Fighter III is a huge plus but overall the Saturn wins, not forgetting that pad either.

Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter is the best vs game as it's has more characters than Capcom vs Marvel and is far betterly balanced than both vs Marvel games. MvsC2 is great but it was mainly a tribute to the series and its fans, pure fan service but great fan service. Unlike the awful MvsC 3 which is broken rubbish.
    Last edited by S3M; 24-10-2013, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Kron View Post
      There's actually a Dreamcast version out there now which is the Arcade 'A' revision and doesn't have the timing problems of the PS2 revision. Someone leaked an early development version a couple of years ago.
      I had no idea about this. If it has the 240p screen fix then this could be really amazing.

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      Just remember to deactive that nasty screen filter then it's perfect, plus it the final revision of the game not released in arcades with all those lovely bug fixes so true fighter fans don't have to worries about cheap players using bugs. Customised game play is great as SFIII TS is even better when combine with the alpha system.
      I'm not sure how clued up you are on the Third Strike scene but all of those "bugs" are one of many things that made the game great and the reason that 14 years later arcades in Japan are still playing the unfixed version. I'm going to want to play the version that the metagame is relevant to, and this was always the PS2 version prior to the release of Third Strike online.

Although sometimes you do wonder if what is possible should be allowed, but not even 0.01% of people can pull this kind of thing off. That's what makes the game so great to me, the sheer versatility.

I don't even play fighters that aren't Third Strike now. Feels like I'm wasting my time..
      Last edited by speedlolita; 24-10-2013, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post

Bit of a sweeping fan statement there, the huge choice of games on the Saturn is why it's the better console for vs games. Yes the Dreamcast has the last of big name and Street Fighter III is a huge plus but overall the Saturn wins, not forgetting that pad either.
        Ultimately I agree with this. As much as I obviously adore Capcom vs SNK, I spent much more time playing Saturn fighters. I can't stand it when games at 240p are output at 480i on DC and PS2 and not to mention the terrible DC pads.

Comment

In reality. 3S is quite possibly Arcade Perfect on Dreamcast. And here's why, and yet why not. 3S on Dreamcast is a result of rebalanced revision 3 release for the CPSIII hardware. People tend to overlook this fact. This revision is almost nonexistent in the arcade sector simply due to lack of support from the player base. As such comparisons are (unfairly) drawn between the commonly played previous revision CPSIII release of 3S and Dreamcast version.
          The similar also applies to Zero 3 on DC. Zero 3 on consoles laid the ground work for what would become Zero 3 Upper on NAOMI. This includes all gameplay changes more importantly, even perhaps the resolution change that only applies to the Dreamcast (PS2) of the game.

There lies another issues with other Capcom non NAOMI fighting ports. Games like SF2X, Jojo's SF III W/DBL Impact lack true arcade accuracy, not due to hardware issue or budget costs, but that of Capcom's conscious decision making. Things like bugs, infinites and game balance are removed or changed in an effort to create a more polished product than what was possible in the arcade front. The backlash lies in many of the player base ultimately adopting these issues into high level play and actually finding the importance in their implementation and use. The bugs, infinites and other gameplay wrinkles become part of the game itself. Arcade Perfect in a fighter ultimately means Arcade perfect with imperfections. Warts and all.

Also, the whole Capcom arcade ports being incredibly superior on the Saturn regardless is a lot of bull**** as well. Perhaps the only Capcom fighters on the Saturn that I can agree with are MSH vs SF (almost every issue that plagued their previous Xmen Vs SF was resolved with this release... which always makes me think how solid of an outcome Capcom would've achieved with a Saturn port of MVC1) Vampire Savior, Alpha 2 and Vampire Hunter (the last 2 due to how well these ports were handled using stock Saturn hardware with no expansions).
          Last edited by tokyochojin; 25-10-2013, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            I'm not sure how clued up you are on the Third Strike scene but all of those "bugs" are one of many things that made the game great and the reason that 14 years later arcades in Japan are still playing the unfixed version. I'm going to want to play the version that the metagame is relevant to, and this was always the PS2 version prior to the release of Third Strike online.
            I'm aware of why they like the older versions maybe great for the arcade players in Japan, but all those bug fixes were wildly needed to get a more perfect balanced fighter. It's just a few players not willing to accept change. One of the problem with SFIII was it was a major flop and few arcades in the west ever had it. I never saw SFIIITS on release in a arcade, only years later and I expect most players are more familar with the Dreamcast release outside of Japan.

The Dreamcast version is the best release because it is in fact it's the final release, as I understand there isn't a arcade board of it. As much as I love SFIII TS there is no doubt it was too elitist at the time of release and it turn off and split much of the fan base. Strangely all the western players I know stick to the DC release for its balance changes, however I know a lot more players who just don't like SFIII due to the parry system. I think it's the best SF ever released but the parry system is too elitist for too many players and can heavily unbalance a match.

Comment

SF3 is technically the best fighter but I don't have the interest to invest time into it.

Comment

Whilst I love playing third strike, the character designs leaves a lot to be desired

Comment

Because they're not the characters from Street Fighter II?

Comment

Cynical view. Just find some of the designs, Oro, Gill, Q and Urien in particular, very underwhelming from an aesthetic point of view. I think they feel more superhero themed perhaps.

Comment

They are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by grain-flavour View Post
                        Cynical view. Just find some of the designs, Oro, Gill, Q and Urien in particular, very underwhelming from an aesthetic point of view. I think they feel more superhero themed perhaps.
                        Have to agree with you certainly some of the new characters for Double Impact and Third Strike are badly drawn, Chun li & Remy look terrible, I supect much of the blame is on the tight budgets they had to improve the game.

Comment

A couple of new updates went up on the site recently.

Firstly, a little look at the Dreamcasts forefather, the Saturn (http://www.dcgaga.com/2013/12/sega-saturn.html) as well as a review of Net De Tennis (http://www.dcgaga.com/2013/11/net-de-tennis-de.html) and the cell-shaded shooter, Radirgy. Feedback as always is appreciated.

Comment

Awesome article on the Saturn. You're bang on about it being a beautiful machine too. My grey Saturn is my favourite machine currently. I wish Sega Rally was as easy to come across for peanuts here as in Japan though, I can't seem to find a copy inexpensively.

Comment

I'm slowly coming back to my Saturn as my favourite retro all rounder....been a long time coming, too. Got a bit distracted by the PCE and the MD for a while

Comment

Really enjoyed the Radirgy article, I had always wanted to know a bit more about the game - good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X