Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me quirky, game-y adventure-ish games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yakuza 1 is well worth playing, superb game with a good story.

Monster Hunter Tri certainly is the most blurry Wii game ever.

Comment

Another vote for Yakuza series. You can catch up with the main story in the beginning of each game if you want to, so you don't really need to play them all, although it does help because there are a lot of characters who appear in the different games.

Others from the top of my head:

-Beyond Good & Evil HD
      -Red Dead Redemption
      -Okami HD
      -Fable series
      -Shenmue games
      -Little King's Story
      -No More Heroes 1 & 2

Edit: Also, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. The atmosphere is excellent even if you're not familiar with the World of Darkness roleplaying books.
      Last edited by Guts; 08-11-2012, 19:15.

Comment

PATHOLOGIC

It may look like an FPS but it's more like a first-person exploration adventure survival game.

Russia. Turn of the last century. Somewhere in the steppes, trapped in a god forsaken town infected with the sand plague.

Your task: survive for 12 days. If you can, save the town, otherwise the Russian military will bring in the heavy guns and obliterate it. The authorities keep sending experts, but to no avail. As the townsfolk start panicking the prices for food and ammunition shoot up. The plague spreads. Many turn to thieving and murder to fill their bellies.

You'll need money to buy food to eat, otherwise you'll starve to death. If you get infected, you'll need to find, trade or steal antibiotics.

Sleep often, otherwise fatigue will slow and eventually kill you.

Pathologic, from start to finish, is a game of futility, desperation and grimacing through difficult periods. Illness, hunger and exhaustion almost become tangible as you crawl down the next filthy alley, clutching a half-broken army rifle and mumbling to yourself to make it to the next house. Everyone appears to be a lying self-serving bastard, you question who to trust, and by the time the army arrives towards the end, bringing with them their own brand of Imperial oppression, you quite relish the idea of everything going up in flames courtesy of heavy artillery.

Will you play the imperial doctor from the city, in his snakeskin jacket and bag of science? Or the folk healer who has the respect of the town and knows how to cut flesh along the holy lines? Or perhaps the demon girl who can kill with her touch?

And in the town, who do you trust? Ruled by three families, each has their own twisted agenda.

The storyline, when you can understand it, is epic, and for those who enjoy desperation of a resource-based and intellectual variety, it’s a substantial and worthy game to work through. How many other games infect you with a disease and then place you in a situation where you’re standing in a store bartering with the owner, trying to decide if it’s worth trading in the last of your antibiotics for a piece of beef to stave off the hunger that will kill you in less than 6 hours?

Comment

I've just had a look through my list of recent games and these are all the ones that sucked me into their world/setting, whether that be via visuals, Narrative, Setting or Sound.

Tales of Monkey Island
          Dishonored
          Bastion
          Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts
          Botanicula
          Machinarium
          Viva Pinata
          Ghost Trick

Comment

I contemplated including Nuts 'N Bolts in my opener, as it's such an amazing world to play in.

Also: bonus points for games that have dank/cold/wet/snowy/grim environments. Think Demons' Souls stage 3 or Lost Planet.

Comment

Have you played the Longest Journey or Dreamfall?

Comment

No. I heard good things about both. The thing is that the Longest Journey is a Norwegian games, where the characters are based on Norwegian actors. So whenever I see the chick walk around or talk, I cringe. And playing games while cringing isn't healthy. I know there's an English voice option, but for me the characters will still be associated with the lame wannabe celebrities they are based on. I know this is a stupid reason to miss out on a probably good game, but I can't help it.

Comment

The Longest Journey is from 1999 and the characters barely have decernable facial features, you sure you couldn't get away with it?

Comment

Good point. Saw a youtube video now, and it doesn't look all that bad actually. The next problem is that it's PC only. Right now I'm only using a MacBook Air, and don't want to install Windows on it. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                      Good point. Saw a youtube video now, and it doesn't look all that bad actually. The next problem is that it's PC only. Right now I'm only using a MacBook Air, and don't want to install Windows on it. :P

Comment

That's a pretty damn good sales pitch for Pathologic there, Sketcz.

Gotta try out that game some time.
                        Last edited by Guts; 09-11-2012, 10:30.

Comment

Dragons Dogma or Beyond Good and Evil?

Comment

This is a good thread.

Comment

I appreciate the effort dude, but my OCD prevents me from messing up my clean Mac with wrappers and other disorderly software. I plan to get myself an iMac as soon as my finances allow it, and dual boot Windows, have some games to catch up on.

Question:
                              Is Darksiders as generic and charmless as it looks, or is it worth a punt? Does it have exciting locales?
                              Last edited by JSR; 09-11-2012, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                                Is Darksiders as generic and charmless as it looks, or is it worth a punt? Does it have exciting locales?
                                It's pretty generic and not very interesting in my opinion, started out well but started to repeat itself very badly early on. The world locales are pretty good, but the gameplay isn't that great. I'd recommend you rather try Okami or maybe one of the Zelda games if you have some left unplayed.

Comment

Working...
                                X