Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me quirky, game-y adventure-ish games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okami is also on my list, and I should really finish Majoras Mask one of these days. I'm just afraid that it will get a 3DS remake as soon as I complete it.

Comment

Have you played Beyond Good & Evil? If you haven't, it's a very nice Zelda-like adventure (except it's sci-fi) with a very charming and atmospheric world and characters (Jade is one of the best female leads in gaming, period). The HD version looks great and is pretty cheap.

Comment

Yeah, and to be honest I only find it "good", and not "super excellent" like the rest of the world seem to do. The combat is so simple, removing a lot of the tension from enemy encounters. Love the world and photography features though. Should probably play through it again.

Comment

I agree, the combat is clearly the weakest part of BG&E, but the other parts are great enough to lift it to a "classic" in my books.

How about Little King's Story on the Wii? It's a very charming Pikmin-like game where you run your kingdom exploring other lands and fighting monsters with your horde of little subjects.

Edit: There's also a Vita version which I think is somewhat different.
          Last edited by Guts; 09-11-2012, 12:55.

Comment

The Way of the Samurai games are really interesting. They give you no guidance and the story has a crazy amount of branches you're supposed to replay them lots of times to see everything.

Comment

Ah yeah, I played a bit of one of those once, reminded me a little of Shenmue/Yakuza

Comment

After a recommendation in this thread I picked up Majin and started it last night.

LOVE IT.

What a lovely, bright Japanese fantasy world. None of the self important nonsense of western fantasy. Only played half an hour or so but cannot wait to get back to it. I love the art style and that B tier Japanese game look. Take your shaders and fancy lighting and shove them.

Comment

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Majin really seems to divide people but I totally love the setting, and the brand of quirkyness in the game design reminds me of the PS2 days. Sorely tempted to rebuy it now!

Comment

What's the final third like? I enjoyed Folklore, until it started to drag on with a forced replay and the need to grind folk. Felt like padding.

Comment

Has anyone played Knight's Contract? It's by the same studio.

Comment

I'm gonna come out and say it - I didn't like Majin that much. I'm all for colourful and charming romps, but I ended up finding the Majin rather annoying by the end, and a lot of the combat just frustrated me. I did finish it though, and I'd be interested to see if your opinion changes throughout the game.

I really, really need to get to Nier. I've only played about 30 minutes but I have a feeling I'd love it given the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                          What's the final third like? I enjoyed Folklore, until it started to drag on with a forced replay and the need to grind folk. Felt like padding.
                          I don't remember having an issue with it, and some of the better gameplay moments were towards the end I'd say. There's a tiny bit of backtracking, and a generally slow pace that might put some folk off I guess.

Comment

Completed Cursed Mountain earlier today. Decent enough game. Pretty linear with sub-par combat, but makes up for it with atmospheric locations and some pretty cool narrative devices. Uncharted 3 seems to have borrowed heavily from the game.

Comment

Working...
                            X