Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
    Powerstone.

We used to call it Powerstoned as we would do buckets and play that for hours!!
    I like this.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
      Yeah, real shame.
      It could have/should have been a series that has grown over the years.
      We have all the revisions in the arcades here, and they all play the same to me. I can hardly tell the difference.

It's tennis, it can't get any better unless you convert it into Cosmic Smash, or add laz0rs, or something.

Comment

I wonder if Take The Bullet will ever get leaked?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
          Part of the reason the Saturn's hardware design was so complicated and non-standard is because Sega didn't originally set out to create a proper 3D games console.
          Yeah and even more baffling when you look at how they were the leaders in 3d in the arcades and everyone and their pet ghost knew that 3d was the future of consoles.

Comment

Although we can go as far back as the Mega CD with it's high price and lack of support Sega let themselves down with the Saturn design. Dual CPU'S and more importantly the killer for them Dual VDP'S that don't render in triangles but quaderilaterals add to that no good development libraries, no hardware audio compression, no hardware video compression and a machine that cost them over ?400 to produce at the start. For the 4 years they were supporting that machine Sega lost half a BILLION dollars and over 50% of their workforce and thats just in the 4 years it was being supported
            ?

For a start people used to rave about the 3D on Model 2 and 3 Boards and they used quads and SEGA didn't lose half a billion with the Saturn at all, it was in 1997 that SEGA posted it 1st loss and that was modest lost with that . SEGA messed up with the 32X and trying to back and developer for 2 32bit machines

Comment

Anone tried the game yet?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                We have all the revisions in the arcades here, and they all play the same to me. I can hardly tell the difference.

It's tennis, it can't get any better unless you convert it into Cosmic Smash, or add laz0rs, or something.
                Tennis can and did get better, pity nobody bought the game. Grand Slam Tennis 2 craps all over VT. For a start you can actually hit the ball out.

Comment

Not tried it yet, will burn and play today. Make sure you get the restructured ISO from mediafire by atreyu187 , much kinder to the GD-Rom and resolves crashing due to seek issues.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    Yes, what a pity the weakest machine of the generation didn't survive and everyone fell for what Sony said. After all, with the Mega CD, 32X and botched Saturn design, Sega really delivered.
                    So there!
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Added link in first post

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        ?

For a start people used to rave about the 3D on Model 2 and 3 Boards and they used quads and SEGA didn't lose half a billion with the Saturn at all, it was in 1997 that SEGA posted it 1st loss and that was modest lost with that . SEGA messed up with the 32X and trying to back and developer for 2 32bit machines
                        The Saturn cost them half a billion dollars over four years and i say lost because it didn't gain them anything. They were half a billion dollars better off before the Saturn. Yes the company didn't post their first annual loss until 1997 but those figures were misleading. And although people loved the graphics of the Model 2 & 3 boards no games developers raved about using quads over triangles at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Haha, no I wouldn't want any of that sort of crap.
                          I just meant make the game a little deeper control wise. Could have an Arcade mode and a Pro mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
                            The Saturn cost them half a billion dollars over four years and i say lost because it didn't gain them anything. They were half a billion dollars better off before the Saturn. Yes the company didn't post their first annual loss until 1997 but those figures were misleading.
                            Not at all . SEGA was still making profits in 1st half of 1997 of ?40 million has confirmed with the full stock report with regards to the planned Bandai merger , so where you get 4 years and ?250 million is beyond me . True to say in 1998 SEGA posted massive losses but that was more to do with spending ?250 million onthe DC and for the 1st time SEGA AM team posting a lost thanks to expensive Model 3 board games not selling enough numbers

And although people loved the graphics of the Model 2 & 3 boards no games developers raved about using quads over triangles
                            For many Model 3 and before that , Model 2 was the be and end all for 3D graphics where home users could only ever dream of having . No-One cared that Model 2 used Quads and so did Model 3 and for even more irony Model 2 didn't support Hardware 3D transparent effects ( an area that the Saturn really lost out to the PS)

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Not at all . SEGA was still making profits in 1st half of 1997 of ?40 million has confirmed with the full stock report with regards to the planned Bandai merger , so where you get 4 years and ?250 million is beyond me . True to say in 1998 SEGA posted massive losses but that was more to do with spending ?250 million onthe DC and for the 1st time SEGA AM team posting a lost thanks to expensive Model 3 board games not selling enough numbers

For many Model 3 and before that , Model 2 was the be and end all for 3D graphics where home users could only ever dream of having . No-One cared that Model 2 used Quads and so did Model 3 and for even more irony Model 2 didn't support Hardware 3D transparent effects ( an area that the Saturn really lost out to the PS)
                              The only people that didn't care about Model 2 using quads were Sega themselves. All the rest of the 3rd parties especially the new up and coming software houses preferred triangles. In fact quite a few of the companies that even decided to make games for the system would only use one CPU & one VDP as they found the extra coding effort involved in using both was not worth it. Why would most developers want to work on that mess of an architecture with for the most part no decent development libraries when the PS1 offered a beautiful and powerful environment for them? The only way to get the most from Saturn was to program in Assembler which 99% of people didn't want to do. There's no doubt that Model 2 was a fantastic ARCADE board though for Sega. Expensive but it gave them some classic Arcade games. From a financial standpoint Naomi was possibly the better board in the Arcades as it was cheaper for the time. Basically a DC with more ram.

And from the minute Sega started spending money on Saturn development to the minute they halted support for it they had wasted half a billion dollars. I say wasted because it (The Saturn itself) didn't make them money, it was half a billion dollars that they spent on Saturn and didn't see a return on. However they were making money in the arcades, quite alot actually and still making money on the Megadrive/Genesis and even the Sega CD to a lesser extent as well as making money on software sales which masked the money they were losing on Saturn and that's why they posted a small profit as late as 1996/7.
                              Last edited by Sam The Man; 13-11-2012, 23:11.

Comment

Are there any figures anywhere on exactly how much the Dreamcast made/lost for them?

Comment

Working...
                                X