Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha Force > Wind Waker > ALL

Comment

There's a lesson in that article. If those stories about the Xbox team and Ken K. are true, then the arrogance is just astounding.

Easy to say that in hindsight, of course. Didn't everyone think the Wii would sink at first?

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        A fascinating story, but for me, the problem is this: if you're a true 'artist' then what matters should be your legacy, not your sales. The Wii is Nintendo's worst home system (and I do like it a lot), and I'd say the SNES and N64 are its best. The fact that the Wii made the most money is irrelevant, and will become increasingly irrelevant in the future, when people will be able to judge its library more objectively. It's simply not as good as previous Nintendo systems. The statement from that article that strikes me the most is this:

"The industry is now always thinking about how to make its games as assessable as possible. That's the true legacy of the Wii."

Let's assume that he actually meant 'accessable', since 'assessable' doesn't really make any sense. THAT'S THE WORST LEGACY EVER! The NES's legacy was in basically building the home console business from scratch, including many new genres effectively from scratch. The legacy of the SNES and N64 is the lion's share of most '100 greatest games of all time' lists. And the Wii? It's legacy is the dumbing down of the entire games industry. Well done, Nintendo. WELL DONE.
        I'm with you on the N64, I'm not really bothered what other people think but the N64 is one of my favourite Nintendo consoles mainly due to the mix of excellent Nintendo and Rare titles plus the four player split screen which I spent many, many hours with. I was disappointed the Gamecube didn't follow that up at all particularly when lugging the hefty Xbox around for LAN multiplayer rather than the much smaller and light Gamecube which would have been far better in that role. I haven't had much use out of the Wii and no interest in Kinect/Move, the article is correct in saying they've aimed it at a different audience.

No surprise I guess particularly on a forum like this focused on imports but irritating all the same:

On launch day, each console sold at a profit, starting at $13 in Japan, $49 in the United States and $79 in Europe. Those margins continually crept upwards.

Comment

Working...
        X