This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    That’s a bit harsh. The enjoyment derived from Pokemon is a testament to the talent of the teams. This isn’t about talent, this is about choice and what works for the game. Pokemon is not BOTW and it’s hardly because the team just wouldn’t know how to do it.
    Pokemon really should of evolved into a full on open world 3D adventure game buy now like monster hunter world level detail, with other people to see and trade/battle with, Pokemon in their natural habitats just doing their thing, and big sprawling adventures to go on with your poke team.

They’ve had 25 years to make it happen and obviously can’t be bothered.

Hopefully someone mods the pc version of monster hunter world with poke skins as that’s as close as I’d get to what I want.

Comment

Or you could play Monster Hunter.

Comment

Or you could play Monster Hunter.
        I have done for 200hrs.

I’m saying Pokemon should be there by now, and better with Nintendo’s spit and polish. It’s not even trying and probably never will.

I’ve given up hoping to be honest. I was expecting more of this latest release but it’s clear what’s in my head will never be realised.

Comment

Then your needs are well met and all is well.

Comment

It’s a tough call to attack a game for not being something that it, well, isn’t. For me I don’t need a massive departure from the Pokemon formula, but I would like to see them be a little more adventurous with what I would almost think of as QoL stuff - making it so you can see Pokemon in long grass would fall in that category for me. Random battles were a product of technical constraints really, and I don’t think removing them would fundamentally change the game.

Another example would be egg hatching. In the most recent games (mainline - not sure about Let’s Go), to hatch an egg you have to walk a certain number of steps. OK, fine. Realistically if you want to get that egg hatched you want to cover a lot of ground quickly, which they facilitate by placing a long straight road right by the Daycare for you to cycle your bike up and down repeatedly until your egg hatches.

If if you think about that, that they’ve deliberately facilitated this kind of boring busywork, you realise it’s completelt perverse. It’s not good game design, it’s sticking with a decision made in the late 90s regarding how egg hatching works for no good reason.

Id like to see a Pokemon that goes in and changes some of these things simply in order to make the game more fun to play. It doesn’t need to be an overhaul but there are elements of Pokemon that are unnecessarily archaic.

Comment

Well I loved BOTW but that hardly seems all that relevant given that Pokemon isn’t that. I love a good burger too but I won’t expect Pokemon to deliver on that front either. Pokemon is Pokemon.
              Those new Star Wars movies though... Shouldn't they have been just like the old ones?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

I don’t think anyone wants a Pokémon game that plays like Monster Hunter. It’s the biggest IP of all time, I can’t say I’m surprised that they’re not willing to mix up the formula. And I’m fine with that, not an issue for me at all. Continue to play and love these games as much as I did in 1999.

Battles being self contained completely works for me also, I wouldn’t want that to change. Battles are a different phase from your usual exploration, and I’ve always veered away from jrpgs that try and challenge that formula.

It wouldn’t be hard to understand if the unchanging formula isn’t to your liking but it works, unchallenged by waning sales figures or anything like that.

On the subject of Sword and Shield it seems all but confirmed to be set in the UK which has pretty much doubled my excitement. Hope the fashion options rival that of XY, that was something that felt like a step back in SM. They’ve stepped back to the gym/league system too it seems, which I’m all for. The trials in SM were brief and lacked challenge.

Comment

when people say they want an evolution of pokemon and point to breath of the wild i think this is what they mean a rich unique world to explore with Pokemon to collect and find, the movies show that we can have an actual meaningful adventure in that game world. Pokemon games don't have to revolve around the dull gym battles that have been the games driving game play mechanic since the 90s

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                      when people say they want an evolution of pokemon and point to breath of the wild i think this is what they mean a rich unique world to explore with Pokemon to collect and find, the movies show that we can have an actual meaningful adventure in that game world. Pokemon games don't have to revolve around the dull gym battles that have been the games driving game play mechanic since the 90s

Yep. That’s how you sell me a Switch console and knock my socks off.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-02-2019, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        See that hill over there? Year you can’t go there.

Comment

I think all these things are kinda fair, from different viewpoints.

A good example here might be the Sonic franchise. Sega have reinvented Sonic a number of times, but it has led to a problem - Sonic means different things to different people. I mean, sure, there are spinoffs, but I'm talking about the mainline games. It leads to a problem now where Sega simply can't make a "definitive" Sonic game because everyone loves what Sonic was about when they were a kid. Some people love the originals, some people love Adventure, some people love Heroes, some people love Unleashed and in the future I'm sure some will love Mania and Forces.

Pokemon at its core is consistent, and that is one of the reasons it has grown to be the world's biggest entertainment brand. It has spinoffs (remember that the anime is, technically, a spinoff - not the core of the brand) but those are very much a sideshow to what is perceived as the main attraction. There's something to be said for how stoic they are about that. It isn't the type of brand which reinvents itself for the time; instead, they kinda reimplement their original idea with a few cool new touches, over and over again.

And I can see why this would frustrate someone who played Links Awakening on Game Boy and (to give a daft example) was locked in cryo-freeze. Then they thaw out in 2018 and they play Breath of the Wild. They might, reasonably, say "but I just played Pokemon Red before I was frozen... That must be AWESOME now!" and truthfully I think that person would be a bit underwhelmed. On the other hand, they might be reassured that something still exists that is so recognisable?

What surprises me more is that Nintendo have resisted the temptation to do a "big console" spinoff to deal with this. I guess the closest they ever got was Pokemon XD, in that XD was a GameCube title, but even that stuck quite closely to the formula. I think some people want something more akin to a Pokemon version of Xenoblade 2, with Pokken-esque combat. A big-budget, cinematic, epic blowout where you travel through a massive Pokemon world.

Comment

Ah Poke XD. Otherwise known as the dream crusher.

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]. That pic of the botw poke mock-up says what I want from a new one. The turn based battles can stay, but a big colourful, sprawling adventure with all the Pokemon filling thier nooks and crannies of their respective ecosystems, running around in real time like they actually belong to the world and im exploring it.
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-02-2019, 16:10.

Comment

Colosseum was the dream killer. I followed that game religiously back then, buying any mag I could just for screenshots. Had so many delays too. XD was more of the same with the same awful shadow Pokémon mechanic, no wild Pokémon at all and an overall naff experience top to bottom.

Comment

Yeah, it’s weird how almost every Pokemon spin-off has been average at best. But the thing is, they really do the business financially. I was looking at Pokemon Ranger the other day in an idle way, recalling it playing it back on the DS.

That game, a real 6/10 if ever there was one, got TWO sequels. And we seem to have umpteen Mystery Dungeons and others.

Comment

Working...
                                X