No announcement yet.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So looks like changes are coming https://kotaku.com/sonic-the-hedgeho...ing-1834488203

And knowing what big companies are like

Management : We need to change the look of sonic to be more like the games/Cartoons

Visual FX staff, What you mean like the first initial images we created that you all rejected ?

Comment

Holy ****.

So weird now how people yelling on the internet get movie or game makers to make these hugely expensive decisions.

Sonic’s design is bad - it doesn’t look like Sonic, not really - but I kinda feel that a) they should have the courage of their convictions and b) it honestly looks like the least of the film’s problems.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post

Management : We need to change the look of sonic to be more like the games/Cartoons
        Just making Sonic look like his does in the modern era games would be much better. I don't expect the character to look like it did in the early games.

The whole look and vibe of the movie still won't appeal to me though. It has a very dodgy 'Street Fighter' movie feel about it. Jim Carrey not looking or sounding like Robotnik is another major problem. It all looks rushed and ill-thought-out.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        b) it honestly looks like the least of the film’s problems.
        Well, I'd say it was a glaring issue, but obviously the whole production looks like a huge mess. You could go on and on pointing out how bad every aspect is.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Holy ****.

So weird now how people yelling on the internet get movie or game makers to make these hugely expensive decisions.

Sonic’s design is bad - it doesn’t look like Sonic, not really - but I kinda feel that a) they should have the courage of their convictions and b) it honestly looks like the least of the film’s problems.
          Completely agree with all this.

Comment

Seem to have lost a post? Maybe I had a bad connection.

Want to say that I don't believe this. I think this design, the one we've seen, was never going to be in the final movie. I think they've orchestrated a repeat of the backlash that happened when the Sonic Boom designs were announced, and in return, they got to "be" the internet conversation for 24 hours around the Avengers launch and final Detective Pikachu trailer. That seems like a good trade.

I just suspect someone has worked out that "create sacrificial bad design + fan backlash + studio kowtow" is worth more than the same cost in advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I just suspect someone has worked out that "create sacrificial bad design + fan backlash + studio kowtow" is worth more than the same cost in advertising.

We just need to hope the whole trailer is a joke. That it's a complete 'mind f*ck' to cause furore across the internet..

Comment

That’s one hell of a conspiracy theory and they really dug in deep for it, going all the way back to the leaks. It’s like when someone here reckoned that the Wii or WiiU or something was really way more powerful but they were pretending on reveal that it wasn’t so they could blow everyone away.

Comment

Honestly I think that’s really unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    That’s one hell of a conspiracy theory and they really dug in deep for it, going all the way back to the leaks.
                    I don't think the whole movie is fake. I just think it applies to the 30s or so of footage of the character in the trailer (i.e. excluding the bits he isn't in, and the bits where he's a ball) and one poster. I think the style guide was genuine, in that it was an alternative design that they dismissed, then picked up to do this advertising job.

I just think this not because of the design, but the footage itself looked poor; like the rendering was nowhere near as good as, for example, the Alvin movies.

EDIT: If the idea that it was always going to change is a bit of a stretch, I'll at least stand by one specific thing, namely that the design was picked to be disruptive. If they'd went with something everyone liked, I think the trailer would've sank without a trace given when it was released.
                    Last edited by Asura; 03-05-2019, 08:09.

Comment

Everything looked poor. You’re suggesting the marketing department, design department and everyone signing the cheques greenlit a strategy where the first opportunity to make a big positive impression, one of the most important stages of a movie’s marketing, was either deliberately made to look bad or tentatively made to look bad with the idea that they could change it six months before release, affecting all marketing materials, licensing etc. Honestly, that didn’t happen.

Comment

My guess is that an evil demonic entity that loves Nintendo and hates Sega, possessed the minds of all the people involved with this movie and compelled them to make something truly ungodly and repugnant.

Maybe the creators are no longer under the influence -- and they looked at the movie and thought....

That's my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          with the idea that they could change it six months before release, affecting all marketing materials, licensing etc.
                          The thing is, I agree with you on this. It seems impossible to believe they would make a radical change to change the design of the main character in a character-movie six months before release, but they're doing it. That's why part of me wonders if some aspect of it was anticipated.

Comment

They simply wouldn't have gone this far with it had they thought in any way that the design was as seriously off as it is. It makes zero sense to make a bad trailer on purpose. None. Was Gangsta's Paradise there to throw us off too? They would have gone the whole hog (ahem) and changed the ring sounds to boingy spring noises if they were doing that.

Comment

The conspiracy minded always seem to think people in marketing departments are much cleverer and more Machiavellian than they really are

Yeah, I'm with Dogg. That would be a crazy strategy. It's much more likely they have just done a bad job of making the film.

Comment

Long before any details or images I knew I was never going to be interested in the film, and that was just fine! My social media feed drowning in hot takes and memes about it has been awful enough, but now what's even worse is a studio bowing to pressure from the great unwashed getting up in arms. I agree that they should just have conviction in their ****ty design and run with it (HA HA HA DO YOU LIKE MY JOKE), rather than contributing to the dangerous precedent that people making things should listen to the loudest internet voices. Ugh.

(I am self-knowingly grumpy this morning and this is the first thing I am choosing to go for, don't mind me)

Comment

Working...
                                X