No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. The only reason I was curious to look at calories at all was that I always wondered how a cycle compares to a run in terms of exercise. According to what I have now a run at 380 calories will be a cycle at around 180 calories for the same distance.

Comment

I took my part in my first half marathon today, which was in my home town of Chester.

I came in at 1:48:47.

Felt good all the way around, and finished quite strongly.

What I learned from today is that you shouldn’t learned start at the back! I thought I would prefer to get everyone out of the way, but what it actually meant was that I was stuck behind literally thousands (the race field was 6000) around the streets and some of the narrower roads in the countryside. Trying to overtake other slower competitors certainly had a detrimental effect on my time, albeit only a few minutes I imagine.

Not sure I fancy doing a full marathon, partly because I’m not sure I would finish it, lol. I’m looking at perhaps doing a sprint triathlon, or preferably, a duathlon. I’m not a particularly strong swimmer, and swimming 400m is equivalent for me swimming the English Channel!

Comment

[MENTION=7193]Super Grover[/MENTION]

You are right. Weaving around slow people is really tiring.

Congrats on finishing your first half!!!!! Must have been good to finish strong! I rarely manage that.

Comment

Thanks for the link charlesr. A predicted marathon time of 4:18:45. Not sure I want/could run for that length of time if I’m honest.

I’ll be doing a bit of research over the next few days to see if anymore half marathons are coming up. I think that if I set out with the sub 1:50:00 runner/markers, I could aim to try and catch the 1:40:00 pace setter. I think I could manage it (just), but if I set out with the 1:40:00 people, I may get disheartened if I struggle to keep the pace.

Irrespective, it’s very invigorating having completed the race.

Comment

I'm back in full swing... after a dreadful year of just playing at running and throwing a few weights around in the gym, I decided I need something to focus on. I watched 'Born Strong' on Netflix and a few recommendations came up one being 'Functional Fitness' a few 'Fittest on Earth' documentaries later I had signed up for a Crossfit foundation course and become a member.

I'm currently on week two of training 3 times a week and absolutely love it. Guided training by enthusiastic coaches, training with a group of people who push you when you would easily give up training on your own, plus the mix of training styles I can't fault it. I am very sore though, but that just goes to show how little I had pushed myself training solo.

I've also entered the Great Manchester Run 10k (a week tomorrow) I got a place through Christies Cancer Charity, I've entered the Oldham Milltown to Moors Half Marathon in October and i've had a go at the ballot for 2019 London Marathon. I've looked into running for a charity for the London Marathon as I know it's not easy to get a free place. I've been doing the local park run each week, while i'm no speed machine, i've been chipping away at my time, last week I ran my PB of 24:42, I was determined to break 25 minutes, I'd like to get to around 23 minutes, but I'm happy to just keep turning up and running.

Just off to to christen my new running trainers by running up to Grains Bar which is the 2nd section of the Oldham Half Marathon.

Comment

Right then. Here goes. I need help. I could Google until the cows come home but I fear I'll end up down a rabbit hole of misinformation.

I'm 37, I weigh 18 stone, I'm 6 feet tall. I want to lose weight. Ideally I need to shed 5 stone to be at the maximum weight for my height.

My job isn't particularly active. Sat in car, stood in front of a machine for an hour, back in car, repeat 3 or 4 times a day. When I get in I'm knackered from the driving. Then I have 2 young children to help take care of so it isn't like I can piss off down the gym 3 or 4 times a week!

I've considered getting an exceedingly bike but not 100% sure which one to go for (max budget of £150). Same with a fitness wearable to track progress. Is it necessary?

I'd really, really, really, really appreciate some help and guidance from you fit bastards to point me in the right direction to start sorting myself out.

Love you all. x

Comment

Are you looking to just lose weight or at the same time improve your body composition (increase muscle mass - drop bodyfat)?

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                  Are you looking to just lose weight or at the same time improve your body composition (increase muscle mass - drop bodyfat)?
                  I want to start by losing weight (stomach mostly) and then see where I am in, say, three months. Then look to improving body composition.

Comment

Hey Teddy. Charles is GREAT for this sort of thing and really helped me when I started. I had never been fit in my entire life until I started running (must be two years now, maybe? Not sure) and this thread was a big motivator in that and the advice was a huge help in getting me past the toughest part: the motivation to keep doing it at the start.

You've already identified one of the big challenges: making time for it around your life. That can be tough and I don't know enough about your schedule to advise there but it's one thing you really need to figure out. When can you do this? And can you keep that up regularly? Or at least semi regularly? If you've a long commute, it might be hard to carve out the time before or after that - I don't know. I also don't know the circumstances of your car journeys (any way some of those can become cycles...?). But yeah, seeing where you can carve out some time will be important.

Here's a thing with that: when you carve out that time, even if it's just a weekend morning at the start, announce that this is what you're doing with it and be strong on that. Hopefully the people around you will be supportive and want you to succeed. Ultimately it will be good for everyone if you're in better shape so be okay with taking that time for yourself to make it happen.

I started running and got the Zombies Run 0 to 5k app and it was brilliant. It built things up in small steps, always achievable and generally took no longer than half an hour - that's all the time you need to start. You might not want to run and that's cool but, whatever route you go, I can safely say that having some sort of app getting you there can be a huge help. It keeps you going at the right pace and, importantly, you can measure your achievements. So the difficulty in getting going is quickly replaced by a big sense of achievement when you make progress.

If you have a phone, you don't necessarily need a wearable. There are a load of phone apps that can track progress depending on what exercise you choose to do. Once I hit 5km runs without dying, I moved on from the Zombies Run app and just use the Nike+ Run Club app but there are plenty of others. I now have an Apple Watch which tracks progress and I like that but it's essentially doing the same thing my phone did before. It's by no means an essential.

I'm sure Charles will jump in with some advice that will be invaluable and it depends on what exercise suits you but, for me, the great thing about running was that I could do it anywhere and didn't need to buy any equipment beyond a new pair of trainers. And I could do it alone (that mattered to me mainly because I had NEVER been active before and, for some reason, was somewhat embarrassed by the idea, like I didn't know how to do it and everyone would see that - I know that probably sounds silly!). I just got my trainers on, put on my app, did some stretches and set off. And it took a good while to go from never running ever to being able to run 5km and then more but the progress was steady and was a huge buzz and I feel all the better for it. Sometimes work gets in the way but, once I knew I could do this, I could exercise in other ways. Like I cycle in and out of work now, for example.

I'm 43. Couldn't run for two minutes without wanting to die for more than 40 years of my life and never wanted to until I realised I had to for my health. Now I'm fit and I feel better and look way better (that wasn't the goal - it just happened). It can be done and you can do it. Your post here will likely be something you look back on in a couple of years and you'll remember how it started and that future fit you will be so happy you did.

Good luck! You can do it! If there's anything I can help with, let me know.

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] Thank you, mate. I've just had a look at that Zombies Run 5K and it looks cool. Downloaded should I decide to go the running route.

I wish that some of my commutes could become walking / cycling but sadly I have a work area that stretches from Poole in Dorset all the way across to Gravesend in Kent...

I'm seriously toying with buying an exercise bike. I could do a session in the AM before everybody gets up and then a session in the PM when everybody has gone to bed.

Comment

Yep, that’s definitely worth considering. I don’t have experience with an exercise bike but I would have been tempted if I had room to put one. See what others say. And yeah, consider using that app to start running. It’s a lot of fun and I found the pace to be just right. As I worked my way through it, I eventually found I had built more stamina than the app missions needed and that sense of achievement was a huge buzz and a great motivator. I could really feel the change in my fitness. Even if you go the exercise bike route, it would be great to find something to track it with because seeing your fitness improve will give you a huge boost and get you going on the tough mornings!

Comment

Hello mate. Family stuff at the moment, so will chip in more later. Meanwhile, WHY do you want to lose weight? You cannot give me too much detail when you answer that. Seriously.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Hello mate. Family stuff at the moment, so will chip in more later. Meanwhile, WHY do you want to lose weight? You cannot give me too much detail when you answer that. Seriously.
                            There are a few reasons:

1. I want more energy so that I can keep up with the kids and run around and play with them

2. I want to be able to walk into a shop,look at the clothes and say to myself "I'd look alright in that" and be able to find it in a size that doesn't make it look silly

3. Looking at my Dad and thinking I don't want to look like that when I'm 60! Harsh but true!!

4. I want to increase my self confidence - I am quite conscious of how I look and I want to be able to not worry I look like ****. Especially in the summer when it's all shorts and t-shirts and I'm still rocking a hoodie

5. Somebody actually said to me the other day that I looked like I'd put on weight so if others are noticing then it must be bad!

Comment

Expert level reasons. Many people struggle.

Next: how will it feel once you've achieved those things?
                              Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              There are a few reasons:

1. I want more energy so that I can keep up with the kids and run around and play with them

2. I want to be able to walk into a shop,look at the clothes and say to myself "I'd look alright in that" and be able to find it in a size that doesn't make it look silly

3. Looking at my Dad and thinking I don't want to look like that when I'm 60! Harsh but true!!

4. I want to increase my self confidence - I am quite conscious of how I look and I want to be able to not worry I look like ****. Especially in the summer when it's all shorts and t-shirts and I'm still rocking a hoodie

5. Somebody actually said to me the other day that I looked like I'd put on weight so if others are noticing then it must be bad!
                              Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

I would hope I'd feel amazing!

Being able to play with the kids whenever and not fob them off with the excuse of "I'm tired" while being well dressed and looking respectable.

Not having to worry if people think I look fat and being concerned what people may think if we go on holiday somewhere and I want to take my shirt off to get a tan.

The freedom of going out in the summer in a nice t-shirt without worrying after an hour if I still look alright or if I'm a sweaty monstrosity!

Comment

Working...
                                X