User Tag List

Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst 123412102 ... LastLast
    Some are better than others at controlling noise, but you're battling against a tiny sensor and poor maximum apertures, so you're always going to see noise starting to creep in over 800 ISO. There are some compacts with larger sensors like the later models in the Canon G series, Fujifilm X10, Nikon P7XXX series, Sony DSC-RX100 and these also sport nice fast lenses which helps (as you can keep the ISO at a lower setting) - but these are a fair bit pricier and larger than the SX240 HS.

The Canon PowerShot S100 might be worth a look, same size sensor as the G series with a faster lens, in a more compact body and looking about these can still be picked up for around ?200 (and the newer S110 for not a lot more). (Digital Rev is Hong Kong based mind, UK Digital Cameras has it up for ?239, though I've never ordered from them).

SX240 vs S100 comparison: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-S100-vs-Canon-SX240.

Realistically, for high ISO noise control, you're looking at a CSC or SLR with a 4/3rds, APC-C or larger sensor with a nice fast lens on the front.
    Last edited by MartyG; 26-11-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
    Cheers Marty. Much appreciated.

I can vouch for the fujifilm x10 indoors, extremely fast focus and it gives quite detailed shots, especially for the money, nocks the spots off the canon g series in low light, same sort of detail outdoors in good light but take them both in and you can really see the difference, with the x10 you can use it pretty normally in bad light and still be able to focus and take pics with minimal fuss, without flash too. I tend to stick to iso 320 but its more than capable of going to higher iso indoors. Might be a bit more than you want to spend though.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Im new to Photography and if anybody has noobz links on how to take better photos i would appreciate it

just bought a Panasonic GX1 and ive got a couple of lens but a quick explanation of the lens would be great

like for example if the lens is 45-200mm (equivalent to 35mm) when's the best place to use it and what exatly is the difference between that and a 10-40mm lens for example

prior to this ive only ever had happy snappers

The difference in the lenses is the field of view - the smaller the number the wider the scene you'll capture. Have a look at this visualiser.

The 14-42mm on a 35mm film camera would be a 28-84mm lens (your 4/3rd lenses multiply the focal length by x2), which is a good general everyday carry for most general photography - my most used lens is an 18-70mm (on my camera that's 25-105mm on film), I'd say a good majority of my photography is with that lens (outside of the camera phone). As a rough guide, a 50mm lens on a film camera gives you a similar view as your eyes - the "standard" lens.

The 45-200mm on a 35mm camera would be a 90-400mm lens, which is well in to telephoto territory, more suitable for wild life and shooting from a distance, it's less useful as an everyday lens.

Along with the focal length of the lens there is the lens aperture, think of this as your iris as aperture and your pupil as the camera sensor - this controls the amount of light entering through the lens which hits the light sensor. At maximum aperture, that is, its widest setting and the smallest f number (biggest pupil, little iris), lots of light gets through, but gives the shallowest depth of field (the amount front to back that's in sharp focus). At the minimum aperture, that is, it's narrowest setting and the largest f number (tiny pupil, large iris), little light gets through, but you get a bigger depth of field.

For tips, this could be worth a look: http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/r...professionals/ and the advice here looks fairly reasonable: http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorials.html

And then there are the helpful (most of the time) chaps over at the Amateur Photographer forums: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/forum.php
    Last edited by MartyG; 27-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Hi guys. You may remember from the old thread that I was thinking of picking up a DSLR. I can get hold of a second-hand Canon EOS 450D with the standard 18-55mm lens included for around ?200 at a local shop. I'm tempted to get it to dip my feet in the water and see how I get on with a DSLR.

Now, obviously the 450D is four years old now, so I just wondered if I would be making too many sacrifices on image quality by buying an old camera such as this. The way I see it, the money I save on buying new will give me a budget to go out and buy a better lens if I get on with the camera.

So I suppose my question is: how would a 450D + a ?250-300 lens stack up in comparison to a new camera with a pack-in lens in the ?450-500 bracket?

That's a good price. There's nothing wrong with the Canon 450D, a few mega pixels extra really doesn't make very much difference unless you're cropping in the extreme (which means you're not composing your shots very well) or you're planning on printing at A2 sizes. The only thing you'd really notice is noise control at high ISO not being quite as good if compared side-by-side.

I have a Canon 10D and Canon 20D the latter of which I use a lot and they're much older than the 450D - here are some of my shots with the 20D and here are some from the 10D
    Last edited by MartyG; 28-11-2012 at 08:48 AM.

I never thought of buying second hand. Which is odd because my current ixus70 is second hand (got it off ebay for pennies because it had paint splashed on the body) after my kids dropped the old one on the zoom mechanism....

/me goes off to local camera shop.

I'd have a look here, bought loads from them. Well priced with warranties: MPB photographic. Got my Canon G11 from there for just over ?200.

I had a Sony A100 DSLR from 2006 and upgraded to a Sony A55 about a year ago. I still have the same lens and with most photos you wouldn't be able to tell which shots came from which camera.

I'd go for the 450D + higher quality lens combo.