No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, whats the best place to pick up lenses online? I was looking at the 24-105m Canon and found it at ?755 on Amazon and then the morning after when I had clearly my credit card it was up to ?826! I seem to only be able to find Jessops and Amazon that I can trust since whenever I search for lenses all I get in google is grey imports. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Keep an eye on http://www.camerapricebuster.com/ - it's like go compare for photographic equipment.

I've had good experiences with MPB Photographic and WEX

Comment

Here's a shot I took on Saturday.

Kokura - Kitakyushu Outter City (raw) by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Kokura - Kitakyushu Outter City (retro) by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

I find DigitalRev to be about the cheapest, much cheaper than Amazon.

... and this is an import site after all.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Keep an eye on http://www.camerapricebuster.com/ - it's like go compare for photographic equipment.

Same here though I look at the UK version - different colours not sure about anything else;

I've had good service a couple of times from Morris Photo.

Originally posted by Nijo View Post
            I find DigitalRev to be about the cheapest, much cheaper than Amazon.

... and this is an import site after all.
            DigitalRev have a cracking YouTube channel. Both they and OneStop Digital get good reviews, only thing that concerns me is the guarantee palava with them being basically grey imports.

Comment

Thanks Marty, great comparison site.

DigitalRev YouTube channel is great and I've imported many things from Playasia over the years but when it comes to items as expensive as lenses then I find it hard to trust these sites. I'd much rather have a retail UK copy. The other thing that sites, including sites on the comparison site, are also doing is spliting the kits and selling them seperately. I'd hate to try and get a warrenty claim from Canon on one of these.

Perhaps I'm overly cautious but never mind. Anyway I ended up ordering the lens from Amazon (not a seller) because it dropped in price again. I used http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/ to track the prices and automatically tweet me on a drop in price.

Comment

NP.

There was a great crescent moon this morning and I totally failed to get a good shot of it. This was the best I managed, I've never been happy with any of the lunar shots I've taken.

I can never get them looking quite how I want them.

Comment

Like the B&W moon shot Marty, great use of negative space.

Couple of long exposures from yesterday. Am planning to do some of this stuff with my film camera soon. Ordered a step up ring and some Fuji Acros stock, and picked up a cable release the other week...

Zig by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Zag by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Comment

Just check out this photo of Shimonoseki Kamon Tower I took yesterday from 800 odd meters away in Kita Kyushu! I used auto focus because it was bitterly cold outside and couldn't be arsed setting up a manual shot however it came out pretty well. Quite a lot of detail for such a distance.

Shimonoseki Tower by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Here's a quick shot taken from inside the car without any zoom at the same point the above photo was taken, just to give you an idea of how far away the tower was.

Shimonoseki Tower-car by Yakum01975, on Flickr

You've got to love Japanese toilet signs. I think this one is aimed directly at the Chinese and Koreans.

toilet by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Nice Neon Coca-Cola sign

coke-neon by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Is that the tower they refer to, as the one that looks like a dick?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        Just check out this photo of Shimonoseki Kamon Tower I took yesterday from 800 odd meters away in Kita Kyushu! I used auto focus because it was bitterly cold outside and couldn't be arsed setting up a manual shot however it came out pretty well. Quite a lot of detail for such a distance.
                        Looking good. Especially on the noise side of things - you can pick up the GF2 and 3 so cheap second hand now, that I'm quite tempted to pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          Is that the tower they refer to, as the one that looks like a dick?
                          It sure is

Comment

Looking good. Especially on the noise side of things - you can pick up the GF2 and 3 so cheap second hand now, that I'm quite tempted to pick one up.
                            The GF2 is a really nice camera for the size of it however it can become quite noisey at high ISO levels. With the lens I'm now using it can reach 6000 ISO however that looks like ****. Anything below 2000 ISO should be fine although most of the time 400 ISO will do.

What ever you do don't buy the GF3 over the GF2. It has no extra features to make it worth while plus it's missing the horse shoe so that means no extra flash or live view monitor as well as other items. Plus the GF2 can be hacked in to making it an amazing video camera. Check out this link - http://www.eoshd.com/content/7074/ha...-cinema-camera

Comment

Check out this dump. If the guy can aford a 1500 pound car then you'd think he would fix the bloody roof.

dump by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Re: The Photography Thread 2

Oi! I've got a gf3!
                                You're right that on paper the gf2 is superior in that it has a hit shoe but in practice I'm never going to put a flashgun on a body that small and the add on view finder is a joke so fir me the reality is thay the gf3 is nicer to use. Better jpeg, better high iso. Also the touch screen is more than just a gimmick; it's really useful for spot focusing amongst other things. The g2 is the best digital camera I've ever had but it was too big.

Comment

Working...
                                X